Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mark, A bit off topic but do you have any idea how long it takes to open a new Menards? I guess I'm getting one sort of nearby, in Southgate, Mi. (is there a target date to open?)

The actual "best" hobby shop is over an hour north in good traffic flow. Highway and two lane means driving by 3pm just to catch an hour there. Nearby Southgate, there is just one, obscure, Do-it family hardware store with a very small (25'x25'?), mixed hobby section about 5-10 miles from that location, but other than that, no O gauge from about 8-mile rd in Detroit, south, all the way to Monroe (possibly over 50 miles, and much of it suburbs). I know not all stores carry the O selections at all, and this store may be a competitive challenge as is, but I'd sure like to see a small hobby space with O there to see how it goes. It's location seems right. Near centered between the two nearest train shops, & about a 40min. highway drive from Southgate to either, Menards could have the area locked .

Make a friendly call to that manager if you get a chance eh?

July, not even open yet, and I can hardly wait to see the Chrstmas display

Well lately it's been a hopper and a tank car. but then there's been a couple of Boxcars But I'm betting more on a Tanker and a Hopper

The last clue Mark gave is the logo for a Continental Trailways Bus. And given that most recently, Menard's has had a Army bus on a flat car, this will probably not be a hopper or tank car, but most likely a bus on a NS flat car.

If it is scale I will buy it.

I'd say your money is safe John, as aside from the long flat car, all the Menard's offerings are not full scale... close but not scale. Even if they use the scale flat, the bus will probably be the same model as before.

But I kind of know how you feel: Every time Sunset 3rd Rail or Atlas announces a new product, I'd be in if were NOT scale but 027 proportioned!

Every company has their strong points and focus in this most diversified 3-rail market. I don't know why we can't be satisfied with that. Some companies specialize in scale only and some in traditional. Menard's has had their emphasis towards the traditional market.

Maybe when Lionel goes back to their original strongest market: traditional, 027...  or maybe when Sunset decides to do some traditionally 027 sized engines, Menard's will go all out scale. One thing for certain: New scale tooling means much higher prices than what most Menard's offerings sell for.

I don't even care what it is. I just like the fact that new releases keep coming this summer. 

As my wife has often heard me say, soon it will be Halloween season (starts the first day of fall for me) and with it comes prime train season. I'm sure the Menards shelves will be restocked with fresh trains by then. 

So keep those releases coming. It shortens the seasonal wait, in a way. 

Last edited by Jim R.

Just Arrived! This O gauge Norfolk Southern Flatcar features realistic details, including a chassis with premium metal trucks and operating couplers. Each uniquely numbered flatcar has a hand-painted deck with a woodgrain appearance. Riding on this flatcar is a die-cast Continental Trailways Bus. This bus is painted using a Maroon and White color scheme with Silver accents. Authentic logos are also included on both sides. SKU# 279-3377

Clipper buses, like this model, were first produced in the late 1930s by the Flxible Company. Widely popular until the early 1970s, their design continued to change with the times while maintaining a distinctive streamlined look.

Beginning in 1941, clipper buses were equipped with a scoop to keep the engine cool. This prominent feature can be seen near the back of the bus (on the roof). Maintaining the same appearance throughout most of the 1940s, this particular clipper bus style was a popular one. In fact, it remained unchanged even while WWII was underway. After the war ended, Flxible continued to sell buses very similar to those used before the war due to their timeless design.

Click here to shop now!

Plus, take advantage of our 11% rebate sale going on through Saturday, July 9, 2016!

In case you missed it, this week’s email is shown below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.