Skip to main content

We'll meet you at The York!

Introducing our newest O gauge structure - the York Hotel Royale! Learn more!

Prebuilt, prelit and ready to go! This building is specially designed to sit over your existing o gauge tracks. Using the train tunnel, the footprint is amazingly small for such a huge building (only 6-3/4" x 11"). That’s a tiny footprint for a building that will be the centerpiece of your layout! Or, if you'd rather have a stand-alone structure, the "tunnel insert" allows you to do both! Simply place the newly designed insert into the tunnel to perfectly transform the train tunnel into a really cool underground parking garage.

From its authentic brick texture to the whopping 188 windows, the amount of detail captured in the O gauge York Hotel Royale is astonishing. Each window even has blinds! And the windows glow softly through frosted glass, where you’ll notice that some rooms are lit and occupied while others are dark and vacant.

Take a look at the bustling hotel entrance with its gold entry doors and red carpet! Six O scale figures, which include a doorman, 4 guests and Jack the German Shepherd, bring life to this extraordinary scene. The roof is full of excitement with 3 animated roof turbines, which rotate in unison, and 4 bright red LED lights! Over 25 LED lights illuminate the front entry and the "York Hotel Royale" marquee.

Please note: With all the LED lights and motor-driven roof turbines, this hotel is easily the most robust building we’ve made yet. And because of that, it requires our newly designed 4.5-volt transformer with an impressive 5,000 mA output (Menards SKU# 279-4050).

In case you miss it, I’ve attached our today’s O gauge email. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RonH posted:

Very nice, looks great but I cannot imagine sleeping in the hotel when a train come through

There is a hotel downtown Indianapolis built from the old train station. Not only do trains run through it but some rooms are in old Pullman cars near the tracks!! So I know where Menard's may have gotten the idea! 

AMCDave posted:
RonH posted:

Very nice, looks great but I cannot imagine sleeping in the hotel when a train come through

There is a hotel downtown Indianapolis built from the old train station. Not only do trains run through it but some rooms are in old Pullman cars near the tracks!! So I know where Menard's may have gotten the idea! 

I have stayed there !  Crowne Plaza  highly recommend !

TShearer posted:
AMCDave posted:
RonH posted:

I have stayed there !  Crowne Plaza  highly recommend !

I was there last Friday....but it was midnight so didn't see much.

prrhorseshoecurve posted:

So who's layout was that filmed on? Will Menards do that automated roadway that is  in the film ? With the amount of vehicles Menards sells, there's got to be some traffic on someone's layout!

prrhorseshoecure,

That's the private layout of a friend of ours. We've been lucky enough to shoot a couple videos there.

As for the automated roadway, that may be a tough thing to produce considering everyone's layout is different. I do love the concept, so maybe I can do some more research. It would be an excellent companion to our selection of die-cast vehicles.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Menards posted:

Here's a video for you guys!

We are really excited about the newly design "tunnel insert" so you have the option to straddle O gauge tracks or use the hotel as a stand-alone building. Let me know what you think about the concept!

Thank you,

Very inventive, suggestion on the removable section that says parking garage, it would be nice if the two blank sides were filled/covered with doors and windows so if one pulls this module out it could be used for a separate parking garage building. or sell the two sides as a add on to do the conversion. Call it a two in one building

jhz563 posted:

So, are you telling me the whole "where to stay in York" thread was a big setup?

Not necessarily a set up but I was definitely having a little fun!

We don't plan to be a vendor at York this year but it would be fun to visit. So, the hotel recommendations may come in handy.

When I first saw the tunnel, I wasn't too impressed. About ten seconds later, I had a blinding flash of the obvious. The hotel would be great as a semi-background scene where the track runs parallel to the back of a layout (like mine). Main street could run in front of the hotel, smaller two story buildings flank each side of the hotel, hiding the track that runs through the building. The hotel then becomes the focal point for downtown.

But in answer to your question, I really like the option of either a tunnel or a parking garage. 

Sweet!  Love hotel's bing bang for the small footprint -- makes up for my Red Owl store square footage.   I will probably add it on to my order for my new basement bathroom sink outside my train room online as I take advantage of their their famous 11% off sale this week.  Can anyone confirm that the new 4.5 volt transformer needed is the same as the Lemax 4.5v? 

Menards posted:

Here's a video for you guys!

We are really excited about the newly design "tunnel insert" so you have the option to straddle O gauge tracks or use the hotel as a stand-alone building. Let me know what you think about the concept!

Thank you,

Really like the idea of having the optional "tunnel insert" insert.  Hope you use it in future products.

base11 posted:

I really think the building is great and I will get one.  However, I am not sure of the dimensions.  The original post said 6 x 11, but the Menards website description say 11 x 11.  Not a deal breaker, just trying to plan.

Would  6" x 11"  be w/o the insert ?  

Or 6 3/4" according to Menard's original post.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
TShearer posted:
base11 posted:

I really think the building is great and I will get one.  However, I am not sure of the dimensions.  The original post said 6 x 11, but the Menards website description say 11 x 11.  Not a deal breaker, just trying to plan.

Guessing 1 dimension is the hotel, the other the entire foot print?

Nice surprise structure from Menards!

BobbyD posted:
TShearer posted:
base11 posted:

Guessing 1 dimension is the hotel, the other the entire foot print?

Nice surprise structure from Menards!

I'm thinking you are right. The overall would be 11x11.. Mine will be here Thursday morning to verify it..

base11 posted:

Here's a more specific footprint. Assuming you have a half inch on the opposite side of the tracks, 6-3/4" x 11" is all the space the main structure takes up.

York Footprint

Thank you,

Attachments

Images (1)
  • York Footprint
UnclePeteRR posted:

Mark, Couldn't tell from the video.....does the front sign light up like your other neon ones? I  will definitely order it at the same time the 40ft boxes are availble, Unclepeterr 

Unclepeterr,

It's lit from below by several LED lights but the sign itself is not lit. There's quite a but going on between the lit interior and grand entrance that we thought it may be too distracting.

Jim Brenner posted:

One other question: is the building made of wood or plastic? I'm thinking of kitbashing. The Schlitz beer line needs some competition

Hi Jim,

The building is made of MDF (engineered wood product).

I'd like to see how it turns out if you decide to kit bash it. Have fun!

CincinnatiWestern posted:

Is the sign removable, or is it printed within the brick pattern?

THANKS

CincinnatiWestern,

The laser etched brick pattern does continue behind the signs. Out of curiosity,  I peeled back the York sign to see how easy it would be to remove. It comes off pretty easy but it leaves a little residue. I'm guessing there are some simple tricks that a modeler would use to remove the residue but I don't have any advice for that.

I hope that helps!

IRON HORSE posted:

Sweet!  Love hotel's bing bang for the small footprint -- makes up for my Red Owl store square footage.   I will probably add it on to my order for my new basement bathroom sink outside my train room online as I take advantage of their their famous 11% off sale this week.  Can anyone confirm that the new 4.5 volt transformer needed is the same as the Lemax 4.5v? 

Iron Horse,

Truth be told, the Lemax 4.5v power source doesn't have enough juice to power the York Hotel. You will need a 4.5-volt power supply with 5,000 mA for this structure.

tackindy posted:

If I bought one I'd rename it to something else since the sign is not backlit.  But the ONE complaint I have about this is the power cord is sold separate?  Why?  Is there another way to power it from the layout?  

This building has 3 motor-driven roof turbines and so many lights (200+ LEDs), that we had to create a more powerful 4.5-volt power supply. This new adapter has a 5,000 mA output that is necessary to power the building.

Menards posted:
CincinnatiWestern posted:

Is the sign removable, or is it printed within the brick pattern?

THANKS

CincinnatiWestern,

...  I peeled back the York sign to see how easy it would be to remove. It comes off pretty easy but it leaves a little residue ...

I hope that helps!

I guess we know what building will be in the next mystery box that is ordered!

TShearer posted:
banjoflyer posted:

Can't quite make out the street address on the awning over the front steps. Can anyone else see what it says?

Mark

Looks like 3334 Carlisle Ave, however, I will confirm tomorrow after lunch when Cabinet Bob reviews his

Mine was sent out SMARTPOST.. FEDEX TO POST OFFICE..  It MAYBE will be here in 10 days..grrrrrr.... I know Menards uses the cheapest way to ship, which is ok, but I hate Smartpost. It actually comes within 10 miles from me , then to its next hub which is in Kansas, then back to its  next hub   Des Moines Iowa, then another 3 days from there. anyway,, got that off my chest this morning... LOL..

cabinet Bob posted

Mine was sent out SMARTPOST.. FEDEX TO POST OFFICE..  It MAYBE will be here in 10 days..grrrrrr.... I know Menards uses the cheapest way to ship, which is ok, but I hate Smartpost. It actually comes within 10 miles from me , then to its next hub which is in Kansas, then back to its  next hub   Des Moines Iowa, then another 3 days from there. anyway,, got that off my chest this morning... LOL..

ASAP  Please Cabinet Bob before this poor guy has the whole OGR forum lurking on his front lawn !

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Hi,

I have a question for Mark the Menards guy. I just purchased some train items on the site and I was sent the 11% in-store rebate. I live in California - so obviously we can't use the coupon. Are there restrictions from me forwarding my rebate to a fellow OGR member who could use it? Just wondering, and hoping to help out those who could benefit from it, because we can't.

Thanks.

OC Patrick posted:

Hi,

I have a question for Mark the Menards guy. I just purchased some train items on the site and I was sent the 11% in-store rebate. I live in California - so obviously we can't use the coupon. Are there restrictions from me forwarding my rebate to a fellow OGR member who could use it? Just wondering, and hoping to help out those who could benefit from it, because we can't.

Thanks.

OC Patrick,

That is very thoughtful of you!

We have no issues with folks transferring the merchandise checks. Thanks for asking!

cabinet Bob posted:
TShearer posted:
banjoflyer posted:

Can't quite make out the street address on the awning over the front steps. Can anyone else see what it says?

Mark

Looks like 3334 Carlisle Ave, however, I will confirm tomorrow after lunch when Cabinet Bob reviews his

I agree about the Smartpost arrangement. A recent eBay purchase was delivered by FedEx using Smartpost. As I tracked its progress, it quickly arrived from the seller to the FedEx hub, then seemingly nothing happened for four days as it was slowly moved into the postal workflow. Maddening.

just received the HOTEL. looks like a truncated Chicago Hilton. Nice.

Image result for hilton chicago exterior

First impression is that the signage must be replaced. Mine has a fold crease running across the sign. I will design and build a 3D printed two-sided lighted sign that hangs up and down with supporting posts.

I have made 3D parking signs for friends. So this will be larger and comprised of two parts   HOTEL and Name. I may not keep Hotel York Royal.

Also, there are a few rub marks along the vertical supports. but not a problem. the windows are fantastic situated on each side all over the place.

cabinet Bob posted:
TShearer posted:
banjoflyer posted:

Mark

Bob I call Smart post Stupidpost as I feel it's the worst way to ship something. Old parcel post was quicker. Trainz uses it a lot also, I'm about 4 hours from them but it takes a week for me to get it. 

Last edited by rtraincollector

Mark,

I'm a big fan of the Menards structures and have bought many.  I've been asking for years for someone to please offer true city buildings, and voila!  This appears to be a good one - I really hope it's the first in a series.  You say it's made out of MDF.  I tried zooming in on the website photos of this building to see the brickwork detail, but the photos aren't high enough resolution.  

Any chance to get some close-up photos of the brickwork and building corners posted here?  

Thanks.  

Peter

Last edited by PJB
Menards posted:
IRON HORSE posted:

Iron Horse,

Truth be told, the Lemax 4.5v power source doesn't have enough juice to power the York Hotel. You will need a 4.5-volt power supply with 5,000 mA for this structure.

When you order this will Menards provided an immediate link and/or recommend the appropriate power supply chord?

When I bought my American Power Plant on a rare visit to Indiana, no one in the store was going to say anything and I would have gone home to Pennsylvania powerless. It was only due to the fact that since it was their LAST one I asked them to try the lights that we determined a separate power supply was needed. Menards should sells these as Building PLUS Power Supply. They can price it accordingly. To do other wise is, in my opinion, a tiny ( I did say tiny ) bit deceptive. Imagine a kid on Christmas morning opening his train set only to find that there was the train, track, and accessories, but no power supply included. We would all find that unacceptable. It is kind of the same thing with these buildings. Still, I think it is a GREAT buy!

Adriatic posted:

That's neat.

Maybe next run could have some walls & roof on the insert so it can stand alone too ?  

I think the parking garage insert would be great to fit in between two buildings as an access to underground parking.  Maybe put a cell phone tower, radio tower, billboard, etc on top.  You see that type of thing all over NYC, etc.

Michael Hokkanen posted:
Menards posted:
IRON HORSE posted:

Iron Horse,

When you order this will Menards provided an immediate link and/or recommend the appropriate power supply chord?

When I bought my American Power Plant on a rare visit to Indiana, no one in the store was going to say anything and I would have gone home to Pennsylvania powerless. It was only due to the fact that since it was their LAST one I asked them to try the lights that we determined a separate power supply was needed. Menards should sells these as Building PLUS Power Supply. They can price it accordingly. To do other wise is, in my opinion, a tiny ( I did say tiny ) bit deceptive. Imagine a kid on Christmas morning opening his train set only to find that there was the train, track, and accessories, but no power supply included. We would all find that unacceptable. It is kind of the same thing with these buildings. Still, I think it is a GREAT buy!

When you order it online, the power supply is automatically added to your cart.

I think you're mixing up Woodland Scenics buildings (those made for its own branding as well as for Menards) with Menards' own designed products. Menards (as a manufacturer) didn't have an Italian restaurant, a cobbler store, a gas station, a motorcycle building or an apartment building.

The Seed and Feed is resin, not plastic, as are several others. (You can tell which are resin by weight alone -- they are very heavy.)

The Power & Light building is MDF, as is the recent bus maintenance facility and others I mentioned earlier.

As for those you listed as brick, Menards has been embossing a brick finish on MDF (medium-density fiberboard) for a while now.

To my knowledge, Menards has not used plastic construction for its buildings since it discontinued its relationship with Woodland Scenics several years ago. All of those earlier structures were merely existing WS structures rebranded for Menards. One example: WS's Harrison Hardware building (produced in three scales, including O) was repackaged for Menards circa 2012 and was called Menards Hardware.

PJB, if you check the Menards site, you will see the buildings which are specifically made by Menards as Jim stated. It is you who is wrong and quite nasty I might add. I bought the same gas station that you are stating, but I had to purchase it through a different vender. They were a part of Woodland Scenics with a Menards sign. You will not find a gas station on the Menards website. You should really complete your research before barking at a response that was very cordial and informative. If Menards repaired something for you, it just is a statement about their customer service. If you check all of the folks who have bought their buildings, they will attest to their quality. As for the brick, I cannot say.

Rick

OK guys.....lets be more respectful to the original purpose of this thread....to introduce a new structure from Menards.  Honestly....I don't know why it seems lately some folks get "testy" quite quickly....even when someone is genuinely trying to help.  

Thanks Mark for continuing to keep us updated with your offerings and interacting in a positive way with our members. 

All the best....

Alan

OGR Ad Man posted:

OK guys.....lets be more respectful to the original purpose of this thread....to introduce a new structure from Menards.  Honestly....I don't know why it seems lately some folks get "testy" quite quickly....even when someone is genuinely trying to help.  

Thanks Mark for continuing to keep us updated with your offerings and interacting in a positive way with our members. 

All the best....

Alan

Agreed.  A couple of quick notes:  1.  Both my Morton Salt building and the American Light and Power building appear to be made of plastic.  Is this just a really good paint job on MDF?  2.  My Red Owl store has definite MDF but the brick sides and back have the look and feel of plastic, too.  Further inspection makes me wonder if they are mdf, too. (attaching photo)  3.  Menards currently does not have the O Gauge stuff in their stores.  I'm in their home state of Wisconsin and only see them during the build-up toward Christmas and slightly thereafter into January -- so don't go out of your way to see them today. Their web site has very accurate photos, though.  4.  There is an excellent thread here on how to make your own plug that allows you to run these buildings on track transformer power.  I've purchased the material on ebay, just haven't hooked it up yet.  I would love to see Jim Barrett do his version of this with comments.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Red Owl brick building side
IRON HORSE posted:
OGR Ad Man posted:

All the best....

Alan

Agreed.  A couple of quick notes:  1.  Both my Morton Salt building and the American Light and Power building appear to be made of plastic.  Is this just a really good paint job on MDF?  2.  My Red Owl store has definite MDF but the brick sides and back have the look and feel of plastic, too.  Further inspection makes me wonder if they are mdf, too. (attaching photo)  3.  Menards currently does not have the O Gauge stuff in their stores.  I'm in their home state of Wisconsin and only see them during the build-up toward Christmas and slightly thereafter into January -- so don't go out of your way to see them today. Their web site has very accurate photos, though.  4.  There is an excellent thread here on how to make your own plug that allows you to run these buildings on track transformer power.  I've purchased the material on ebay, just haven't hooked it up yet.  I would love to see Jim Barrett do his version of this with comments.

I was fooled too when I first got the Red Owl building. All those buildings you mentioned are MDF. Confirmed in earlier threads. (And I did a subtle scratch test on the Red Owl brick just to convince myself fully.)

Last edited by Jim R.
OGR Ad Man posted:

All the best....

Alan

A well worded post - GLAD you chimed in - sometimes the "children need a dressing down!

Paul Kallus posted:

This is a neat looking building.

My concern, like with all Menards structures, is their use of white bright LEDs, which makes some of them glow unrealistic. Will be interested to see what this one will be like because I can use it in my downtown area.

Paul,

I agree, sometimes brighter isn't always better. I believe there are other threads where folks have dulled down the lights using a few different techniques.

The York Hotel interior is subdued and we believe it to be very realistic. I'm sure we will start to see photos pop up in the coming days as they arrive.

PJB posted:

Mark,

I'm a big fan of the Menards structures and have bought many.  I've been asking for years for someone to please offer true city buildings, and voila!  This appears to be a good one - I really hope it's the first in a series.  You say it's made out of MDF.  I tried zooming in on the website photos of this building to see the brickwork detail, but the photos aren't high enough resolution.  

Any chance to get some close-up photos of the brickwork and building corners posted here?  

Thanks.  

Peter

Hi Peter,

I agree, the zooming on our website leaves something to be desired. With hundreds of thousands of products online, we are reduced to 1000px x 1000px images. The good news, however, is I am happy to post images.

Thanks for asking!

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 279-3973 High Res
  • Brickwork Corners
Last edited by Menards

Hey Mark, the Menards Train Guy.  I just received my Hotel. It is great. Thanks for another excellent structure.

However, I do have a small problem. I am missing (1) window frame on the front facade....

How do I get a frame to fill the void? I do not want to send the whole building back. 

I looked for an email to contact you off the board but could not find one so I need to "ask" in this thread.  

I could steal one from the back but the Hotel will be viewed from all (4) sides.

No pic attached but if needed let me know.

Thanks for any replies.

Donald

3rail 2 posted:

Hey Mark, the Menards Train Guy.  I just received my Hotel. It is great. Thanks for another excellent structure.

However, I do have a small problem. I am missing (1) window frame on the front facade....

How do I get a frame to fill the void? I do not want to send the whole building back. 

I looked for an email to contact you off the board but could not find one so I need to "ask" in this thread.  

I could steal one from the back but the Hotel will be viewed from all (4) sides.

No pic attached but if needed let me know.

Thanks for any replies.

Donald

Hi Donald,

I'm glad to hear you like the building!

I'm sure we can get a new window frame for you. If you would email guest@menard-inc.com, they will be able to assist you further. Customer service may ask you for a photo of the missing frame, so please include one if you can when you send the email.

Thanks!

Menards posted:
PJB posted:

Mark,

Thanks.  

Peter

Hi Peter,

I agree, the zooming on our website leaves something to be desired. With hundreds of thousands of products online, we are reduced to 1000px x 1000px images. The good news, however, is I am happy to post images.

Thanks for asking!

Mark - thanks. 

Picked mine up last night and despite the 2 hour round trip to my nearest Menards had to take it out of the box and try it out before going to bed.....WOW is all I can say.  Of course while I was there had to look around in the store and found some additional diecast vehicles and used old 11% rebate cards to pay for them which was a bonus.

Bryan in Ohio posted:

Picked mine up last night and despite the 2 hour round trip to my nearest Menards had to take it out of the box and try it out before going to bed.....WOW is all I can say.  Of course while I was there had to look around in the store and found some additional diecast vehicles and used old 11% rebate cards to pay for them which was a bonus.

Bryan, we got ours last week. Put it on our layout. Looks fantastic. It's just that with our layout, it looks small. I think you understand.  Thanks.  Tom Sr.

Last edited by OGR CEO-PUBLISHER

An open comment to Mark the Menards guy

I just received my York Hotel yesterday and it is probably the nicest building Menards has ever build in terms of build over cost.  truly a phenomenal value.  Its the only building I am considering ordering a second one to put side by side to display as double towers,  its that impressive !

P.S. as a side note when I went to My Menards store in the Detroit area to pick up my hotel I gathered up all my rebate checks and ordered the Pepsi plant while at the store.  $1.22 out of pocket.  What a great day HAH 

Thanks again 

Bill R

One of Toronto's major landmarks is the Royal York Hotel...now the Fairmont Royal York.  In recent times it has become obscured behind modern glass and steel structures but for years was a prominent skyline icon.  Its tower is copper topped like the lower roof over the concourse of Union Station in the foreground...both structures constructed roughly around the same time, so the similar use of material is no coincident.  No trains run through the Royal York but the subway does run under it.

Bruce

PJB posted:

Mark,

Thanks.  

Peter

Just received my hotel tonight.  With the time I had, I took it out of the box, checked it out and lit it up.  Wow, this thing is really grand!  Nice size, nice detail and I like the lighting effects.  The roof revolving things are also very cool.  It's true that most all rooms have someone peaking from the same spot in the blinds, but that's a trivial thing.    

At this point, I've got two follow-ups for Mark / Menard's: 

1 - For folks like me who are trying to attain a true cityscape comprised of big beautiful and non-cookie cutter buildings - not a bunch of the 3-4 story buildings available from other suppliers that everyone puts on their layouts and calls this a "city" - I hope this hotel is the first in a string of city buildings from Menard's.  I for one would buy them all.  And, my guess is this one was a big hit.  If so, I'm hoping Menard's is considering a plan to make more true city buildings?  

2 - I'm almost thinking I should buy a few more to help with the city skyline, given true city buildings are tough to find.  The question is - can they be cut down or reshaped so they don't all look alike?  

Thanks.

Last edited by PJB
banjoflyer posted:

I too received my Hotel a few days ago and put it on the layout today. It looks spectacular!

There are many, many LEDs on this building along with the revolving roof turbines so I'm sure it does require the higher rated (5 amp) wall wart to operate it properly.

Menards does sell their version of this 12VDC  5A wall wart but I have had lots of luck with some found online from other vendors. On my hotel I am using this. It is rated at 6 AMPS.

the male plug fits the Hotel's female plug perfectly. Don't forget there is another female plug -in port on a short wire inside the building should you choose to keep the wiring hidden from view. The wire is long enough to allow the port to hang down under your train table surface. That way you can access the port without moving the building.

Just thought I'd present another source for a power unit.

Mark

Mark,

While you can certainly use any 4.5-volt transformer that has enough wattage (power) to light the York hotel, 12-volts is 2.5 times too much electrical (pressure) and will result in the LEDs and the 3 rotating exhaust fan motors failing prematurely and will void any warranty.

Thank you,

Last edited by OGR CEO-PUBLISHER
booker110 posted:

PJB

You are absolutely correct! I hope that Menards will release more tall city buildings and I would be happy to pre-order! This building will look quite silly standing by itself...I will keep my fingers crossed

Brian

There are many examples of tall hotels not being in the middle of a city downtown.  Next to an airport or a casino or even standalone out in a suburb.  I know especially in O-gauge, it's hard to represent anything other than a city or small-town, but we just have to be creative.

Mine came the other day, fast shipping, and good job Menards. I may be able to place it at a location in my downtown city that would be idea since the structure's tunnel part would be utilized over a SuperStreets line, although I'll have to extend the foundation of my 2nd tier city very close to the river. If successful I'll post some pictures in the scenery forum. The picture below shows the location and you can see my challenge - the Royal would go where the red bricked 5 story building is currently sitting, with the Royal's front facing the camera shot in this photo and the rear would go against the plane panel of the structure wrapped around the steel column.

As I thought, with the recommended transformer the hotel LEDs are way too bright, at night anyway. To me, white LED's do not cast off natural light, and I don't see how I can paint them without tearing this structure apart. I'll likely toy around with one of my weaker transformers in an effort to dim the intensity output.  

HPIM1580

Attachments

Images (2)
  • HPIM1580
  • HPIM1580
Menards posted:
prrhorseshoecurve posted:

So who's layout was that filmed on? Will Menards do that automated roadway that is  in the film ? With the amount of vehicles Menards sells, there's got to be some traffic on someone's layout!

prrhorseshoecure,

That's the private layout of a friend of ours. We've been lucky enough to shoot a couple videos there.

As for the automated roadway, that may be a tough thing to produce considering everyone's layout is different. I do love the concept, so maybe I can do some more research. It would be an excellent companion to our selection of die-cast vehicles.

If you haven't caught on by now it's Cabinet Bob's layout 

How else do you think he gets them so fast

Last edited by rtraincollector

Hello All.  My "York Royal Hotel" arrived today!  Have been looking forward to this item based on all the positive comments on this site.  I like the concept, and I like what Menards is doing, but the execution, in my opinion, leaves something to be desired.  The interior lights are much too bright.  There is white paint splatter on various places on the building.  The red awning that wraps around the building, next to where the 334 Carlisle sign is located is crooked.....and the 334 Carlisle sign is crooked!  The front, where all the front doors are, is crooked.  There is a random binding type noise coming from inside the building which is probably some part of the device that rotates the roof fans.  I am disappointed with the quality of this item.  It is a shame, because as I said, I feel that the basic design concept is good.  If I lived anywhere near a Menards, this would go back to them. 

That's great feedback and adds value to the discussion!  You ought to try to return the building to get a better one -- Menards is great about that.   Based on the buildings I've purchased, it is very clear there is variance between each one.  I chaulk some small quality issues up to the individual hand-made nature of each building and accept it as unique character.  It happens to other O Gauge stuff, too.  I've also found several Lemax items at Menards or Michaels, in the store, that have quality defects, too.  I generally look over several of the Lemax items and choose the best one.  I make sure the decals are fully embedded and straight.  It reminds me of my Bunn coffee maker from 20 years ago that has a crooked label.  Had I noticed it,  I would have returned it because every now and then I cringe when I'm brewing my morning coffee!  I've been fortunate with the Menards buildings because every one I've ordered has been acceptible, given their hand-made nature.  Good point, though.  Signage and awnings are critical to get as "right" as possible.

I had a great visit to the Menards in Johnson Creek, WI today.   Guys, Menards is starting to unroll their Christmas toy stuff in their stores, which means O GAUGE.  I personally viewed the Pepsi plant, the fire station, and the school bus facility today.  What fun just to look at this stuff.  I also saw the new tow truck and cement mixer truck.  I saw the Santa Fe box car at its really low price but looked awesome.  I was like a kid in a candy store.  (Sorry Mark, did not buy anything,.. yet).  My point is this:  now is the time to start going to the stores to see the stuff in person!  Out of all the new buildings I don't have, man, the Pepsi plant and the school bus repair station are on top of my list based on detail, lighted stuff and pure play value.  Yet the new fire station fits the bill, too... and then... to cap off the day, I see the new "world headquarters" building in my e-mail.. can't wait to see that, too.... 

Alan, even you "smaller suburban city" is rather grand.  The way you combine different buildings (kits) into new structures, the Plasticville Town Hall(s) on top of something else for height, use buildings of other types and scales,the Dept 56 Budweiser brewery and the gothic cathedral blend perfectly with the Ameritowne and other typical "O" buildings.  The shot of the York next to the Brunswick is the first picture that gave me a true idea of how tall the York really is.

I couldn't resist this one either.  After waiting a week or so, I finally figured out a place to put it. 

More views of the new hotel, the long and short.   There was no room on my table layout for this, so, I built a shelf.  Had to paint the wood as sky and add a few clouds.  Two factory building backdrops, some Yankee (Aaron Judge) black trim to hide several power wires coming down from the top.  I built the shelf long enough to accommodate the Watkins city block which is just small enough and will come next week.  The Red Owl store gives you the scale of the hotel.  A large refrigerator goes next to the shelf and prevents further expansion.

It's too bad it's too high to see the turning roof vents, and too recessed to see the other half of the building.  Still, I think this Hotel is pretty spectacular and fits in nicely with the trolley station.

20171007_135041

20171007_135016

The bottom shows the Morton factory in another room, which needed another shelf added. Good idea by Menard's to follow city planners who can only go up when they run out of space.   Hope they can figure a way to get rid of those adapters.  I have one more spot for a three ended one, and hope it will work with the Watkins buildings and two of the new lighted billboards.

20170905_112601_001

Of course, lots more little details to complete and it's never done.   I'd love to add more of these great buildings, but...runnning...out...of...room.

Jerry

Attachments

Images (3)
  • York Hotel1
  • York Hotel2
  • Morton Factory with shelf

Menard's doesn't need to build engines. They just need to keep turning out these great buildings and other fine accessories. Plus, they need to continue and endless supply of freight cars. Someday, if they decide to get into uncharted waters, they should do passenger cars. Buildings, accessories, freight cars, passenger cars and track. The possibilities are never ending..

Last edited by jim sutter
jim sutter posted:

Menard's doesn't need to build engines. They just need to keep turning out these great buildings and other fine accessories. Plus, they need to continue and endless supply of freight cars. Someday, if they decide to get into uncharted waters, they should do passenger cars. Buildings, accessories, freight cars, passenger cars and track. The possibilities are never ending..

All I want and others is a black single dome 8000 gal tank car, please. 

John Pignatelli JR. posted:
jim sutter posted:

Ditto X2.....buildings and great freight cars....

AMCDave posted:
John Pignatelli JR. posted:
jim sutter posted:

Ditto X2.....buildings and great freight cars....

Build it and they will come!

H 2H 4H 5

A good buddy installed ours yesterday.  Without raining on the parade, the height pales in comparison to our Pioneer Valley scale size kit bashed nine story hotel.  I know we're mixing apples and oranges but I would have thought someone would have mentioned this before.  The lights are far too bright.  If the lighting was designed to draw attention to the building they certainly accomplished what they set out too do.  Reminds me of lighted cars that 'glow' if the inside walls aren't painted. Photos were taken with the ceiling lights on, if the room was darkened the glow would be too much.  Is anyone using 3v or 3.5v instead of the 4.5v from Menards?  John in Lansing, ILL

Attachments

Images (3)
  • H 2
  • H 4
  • H 5
Last edited by rattler21

My second York Hotel arrived today after Menards taking the first one back.  The package was poorly packaged with one little piece of clear tape holding the box shut.  The item has a peeling front sign, broken roof trim, paint and glue drippings on the roof and walls.  Sadly the steps and front trim is poorly glued and in many areas separating already.  I plugged her in and the roof top fans grind loudly and ....it is just me...or it that bright light LED lighting inside blinding?  I am going to again, contact, Menards for a resolution.  I am happy many found it well  done but this is my second chance I gave this product.  My best to all.

I love mine.  It is the nicest building on the layout.    However;  my fan is very loud as well and it came poorly packaged. I absolutely love Menards but about half of my items have arrived dinged up.  I have only sent one back but it does bother me a little now that the prices are starting to increase.  I have also never received any of my rebates.  I don't have a Menards near me what I was doing to give them to a forum member.

Oh no...the rebates are Menards coupons????  I should have read the paperwork better.  I just assumed it was a rebate check.  I will not be buying from Menards again.

I know not what to do with the second York Hotel...send it back?  Pack it away and just give up?

Panther97..agreed...they need to whip the shipping department into shape.  Orders came packed in cardboard boxes, lose with no packing.  Items were slamming around boxes all the way to Peyton, CO.

Last edited by johnshorse
johnshorse posted:

Oh no...the rebates are Menards coupons????  I should have read the paperwork better.  I just assumed it was a rebate check.  I will not be buying from Menards again.

I know not what to do with the second York Hotel...send it back?  Pack it away and just give up?

Panther97..agreed...they need to whip the shipping department into shape.  Orders came packed in cardboard boxes, lose with no packing.  Items were slamming around boxes all the way to Peyton, CO.

I love their stuff and will continue to buy from them.  I just wish they would take a little more care packaging the products.  

johnshorse posted:

Stupid way to do rebates.

The purpose of those 'rebates' is to drive traffic to their brick-and-mortar stores.

Or would you prefer that they simply not allow you to order from their website unless you lived within their corporate footprint? Anything else defeats the intended purpose of the rebate offer.

I simply wait till the incentive switches to a free item I can use (such as a flatcar) before I place an order.

---PCJ

I guess I have been fortunate.  I live in Menard's Country so I have stores everywhere in the beautiful state of Wisconsin.  However, throughout the year the stores do not carry train stuff so you either have to have them shipped to home or shipped to store.  When possible, I recommend ALWAYS order shipped to store.  I have had no issues and you can always check the items before you leave the store.  Red Owl, Morton's Salt and American Power.  All good items the first time.

I'm with IRON HORSE, I have American power & Light, Grandpa's house, Seed & Feed, Morton, salt, engine house. All came in perfect shape, I also have the Saurkrout building with alittle damage, but I got that in a mystery box and knew that's what comes in the box. I am happy with what I have got sofar!

mike g. posted:

I'm with IRON HORSE, I have American power & Light, Grandpa's house, Seed & Feed, Morton, salt, engine house. All came in perfect shape, I also have the Saurkrout building with alittle damage, but I got that in a mystery box and knew that's what comes in the box. I am happy with what I have got sofar!

Thanks Mike, I was going to jump in , but I just can't.....  Maybe  this is why the moderators  had to stop the last thread from John S. 

cabinet Bob posted:
mike g. posted:

Thanks Mike, I was going to jump in , but I just can't.....  Maybe  this is why the moderators  had to stop the last thread from John S. 

Its ALL good Bob, everyone has different views and I have no problem with that. I just wanted to put my view out there as others have that people do get nice stuff from Menards. 

I hope those who haven't get there issues resolved. Mark and the Menards team try to keep on top of everything, with such a wide variety of products and people buying them its not always easy. But they do go out of there way to fix matters as they come up! Kudos Menards

play trains posted:

I guess I'm lucky but I have at least 10 bldgs from Menards and they all have been fine! The big thing to consider at least for me is that I know Mark and his team of merry men and women will do whatever it takes to make it right! Thus I order with  joy and great confidence the unique products they offer! Did I do good Dad? LOL

LOL

My four Menard's buildings have all arrived in good shape. Add to that I had my power plant in the box on the top shelf of storage. (71" high) My cat decided it was the perfect place for a nap......and knocked the power plant of the shelf onto the concrete floor. I didn't even open the box....just  put it back.....not wanting to look. Yesterday I got it out to place it on the layout and to my surprise it was perfect!!!  I figured it's trp to the floor would have knocked something off......but all is well.  It is going to look so cool lit up on the layout!!! 

cabinet Bob posted:
mike g. posted:

John S just seems to be an overall angry person.  Are his concerns legitimate when he receives broken items?  Of course they are.   However, the fire and brimstone even after several people including Menard's themselves have stepped up, is a bit bizarre.  Oh well...

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.