Skip to main content

Just back from the White Plains Toy and Train Show... a rather interesting show.

B1BD56A7-FEAE-4006-9BA8-6A1B5A9327AA

A nice mix of modern and PW, die cast, and toys of our youths - a bit of everything from the ridiculous to the sublime (offered for your consideration is a “mint” in original box PW New Haven EP-5 for only $4,250 - I leave it up to you to decide which end of the spectrum this belongs on).

A small group of forumites checked out the show...

D14DA2C4-5A1D-47C8-A0AC-40B0C0AFFB4A

Front row: Mel (MELGAR), Joe (Coach Joe)

Back Row: Paul (Apples55), Pierre (Leroof), Arnold (Arnold D. Cribari), Tom (MNCW), Andy (Silver Lake), Patrick (Train Ride).

Following this memorialization of our attendance, we adjourned across the street to the City Limits Diner for a delightful lunch. A good time was had by all   

Attachments

Images (2)
  • B1BD56A7-FEAE-4006-9BA8-6A1B5A9327AA
  • D14DA2C4-5A1D-47C8-A0AC-40B0C0AFFB4A
RSJB18 posted:

Have to send my regrets guys. Last minute change in plans on the home front.

Hope you all have a good time.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry you couldn't make it, maybe next time. I am ready to pass out on the couch with the dog as I got up around 4:30am (which maybe sounds worse than the usual 5am I get up on weekdays). 

Tom 

Apples55 posted:

Just back from the White Plains Toy and Train Show... a rather interesting show.

B1BD56A7-FEAE-4006-9BA8-6A1B5A9327AA

A nice mix of modern and PW, die cast, and toys of our youths - a bit of everything from the ridiculous to the sublime (offered for your consideration is a “mint” in original box PW New Haven EP-5 for only $4,250 - I leave it up to you to decide which end of the spectrum this belongs on).

A small group of forumites checked out the show...

D14DA2C4-5A1D-47C8-A0AC-40B0C0AFFB4A

Front row: Mel (MELGAR), Joe (Coach Joe)

Back Row: Paul (Apples55), Pierre (Leroof), Arnold (Arnold D. Cribari), Tom (MNCW), Andy (Silver Lake), Patrick (Train Ride).

Following this memorialization of our attendance, we adjourned across the street to the City Limits Diner for a delightful lunch. A good time was had by all   

Yes, it was a good time. It was nice to meet those of you that I had never met before. Paul, thanks for picking up my book. 

Tom 

Today, at the Westchester Toy and Train Show in White Plains, New York, I had the most enjoyable time I've ever had at any train show - and I've been to many. The reason I enjoyed it so much was that we had a group of OGR Forum members, several of whom who traveled a considerable distance to get to the show, who gathered there and then walked across the street and had lunch together. As you might imagine, the discussion was about trains. My thanks to Arnold Cribari for organizing this event. It was great to meet APPLES55 (Paul), COACH_JOE (Joe), RAILRIDE (Patrick), SILVERLAKE (Andy), LEROOF (Pierre) and MNCW (Tom). RAILRIDE purchased the longest boxcar I have ever seen! I purchased a "near mint" Lionel 1615 0-4-0 switcher from the guy who was selling that expensive Lionel EP-5 referred to above. My switcher (see below) was not even remotely close to that price... A pleasure to have met all of you, look forward to seeing you again, and thanks again to Arnold.

MELGAR

MELGAR_LIONEL_1615_12

Attachments

Images (1)
  • MELGAR_LIONEL_1615_12

What a great day.

The train show was the best I've ever attended because I could meet in person the Forum members who attended. Great conversations about trains and other topics and great commraderie.  

Special thanks to Melgar. We became quick friends this past several months, meeting in diners, visiting each other's home layouts and even going to a play with our wives. Mel was my partner in every way in conceiving of, planning and promoting the Forum luncheon.

Everyone seemed to have a great time at the City Limits Diner right across the street from the train show. Great location, great food, but the greatest thing was the conversation and company.

I can just imagine how much fun it is to do Forum get togethers at York, when a big group of us from all over the World can meet.

Leroof and his wife drove 6 and one-half hours from the great State of Maine to attend this White Plains Train Show snd Firum Luncheon. Isn't that awesome!

Finally, thank you to all who attended the show and luncheon, and to those who wanted to be there, but couldn't. You were there in spirit.

Arnold

MNCW posted:
Apples55 posted:

Yes, it was a good time. It was nice to meet those of you that I had never met before. Paul, thanks for picking up my book. 

Tom 

Tom;

Just has a little time to browse thru your book, but you have greatly peeked my interest... I ordered the Vision Line Niagara #6005 (unfortunately it’s back at Lionel at the moment ), but your book has at least two pictures of the 6005, one with the single headlight. Look forward to giving it a more thorough read over the next week or so.

Great meeting you today and thanks for the use of your chair!!!

Wow wee what a weekend! 

This great adventure Started at 10 a.m on Saturday, and just got back home at 11:30 tonight, Sunday.

many thanks to Arnold for making this possible for Susan and I.

it was a spectacular time with new friends, Arnold, Melgar Mel, Andy Silverlake, Coach Joe, RAILRIDE  Patrick, Apples55 Paul, and MNCW Tom, and so many cool people attending the show,  both sides of the tables.     BRAVO to everyone.

WHAT A SHOW!  WHAT A SHARED EXPERIENCE! 

Fendermain, while at the show, you were in my thoughts. Sorry we couldn't share this one bud,  It was awesome! See the photo. Hey, I didn't see a lot of prewar that could keep up with your exquisite stuff! There was however some outrageous MINTY postwar, couldn't believe my eyes! wouldnt even photograph it! But I bought two American flyer for O Gage used but not abused metal bridges, $5 each!  More my speed. Lol. I guess I should start thinking about taking the layout to a second level now.

Hi Guys- looks like a great time was had by all. Nice to see faces to go with the names that's more than a postage stamp in size. I was bummed to have to cancel but we actually had a ton of stuff to do on the home front. Next time for sure.

Thanks to Arnold @Arnold D. Cribari and Mel @MELGAR for organizing the get together.

Off to Trainworld today to get more Fastrack for under the Tree.

Bob

Awesome...great pic and looks like everyone was having a good time.  I was indeed there in spirit as I thought about what good finds you had acquired...what the topic of discussion at that moment was and what great fellowship you were experiencing.  Ok....which one of you ended up with the minty aforementioned EP-5?

Perhaps I can meet some of you at an upcoming York.

Fendermain

Last edited by Fendermain
Leroof posted:

Fendermain, while at the show, you were in my thoughts. Sorry we couldn't share this one bud,  It was awesome! See the photo. Hey, I didn't see a lot of prewar that could keep up with your exquisite stuff! There was however some outrageous MINTY postwar, couldn't believe my eyes! wouldnt even photograph it! But I bought two American flyer for O Gage used but not abused metal bridges, $5 each!  More my speed. Lol. I guess I should start thinking about taking the layout to a second level now.

Leroof, I don't know if you do the York thing... I was there once quite a few years back...perhaps we could hang out a bit there.  More good finds with the bridges...a second level.. that's it.

Fendermain

Last edited by Fendermain
MNCW posted:

Joe,

I preferred the clientele at George's (I think that was the name?). That was a booming business back then on North Ave. until the street parking was abolished (I guess due to too many fights). I went to Mt. St. Michael's.  The New York Westchester & Boston's original right-of-way wasn't too far away and you can still find remnants of Wykagyl station.  

NewRo-Before-After-WykagylTrainStation

Tom 

Hi Tom,  Spent a lot of time in New Rochelle back in the 70's lifeguarding at Glen Island and hanging out at the bars on North Ave. I remember Georges, The Church Key, The Beechmont, and there were a couple of others. Was one The Abby and another Barleycorns?

BTW, My wife grew up in New Rochelle. 

NYC Fan posted:
MNCW posted:

Joe,

I preferred the clientele at George's (I think that was the name?). That was a booming business back then on North Ave. until the street parking was abolished (I guess due to too many fights). I went to Mt. St. Michael's.  The New York Westchester & Boston's original right-of-way wasn't too far away and you can still find remnants of Wykagyl station.  

NewRo-Before-After-WykagylTrainStation

Tom 

Hi Tom,  Spent a lot of time in New Rochelle back in the 70's lifeguarding at Glen Island and hanging out at the bars on North Ave. I remember Georges, The Church Key, The Beechmont, and there were a couple of others. Was one The Abby and another Barleycorns?

BTW, My wife grew up in New Rochelle. 

Maybe, I don't remember most of the other bars since I tended to go to Georges. Also, don't forget Dudley's at the marina. Georges was my favorite though. Not sure why...they played a lot of Jay & The Americans music, which I liked. 

Tom 

Here’s what I picked up at the White Plains Train Show...

A Lionel Alaska hopper:

0CA60D8B-AF8C-42F3-8A2C-C64E93E2E3F8

An MTH New Haven Coil Car:

A6CACE15-C8EA-4621-81C4-FCE6AA623C0E

And a signed copy of Tom Panettiere’s (MNCW here on the Forum) fascinating book on Metro-North’s upper Hudson line - it is full of great photos stretching from the days of NYC steam through Metro-North’s commuter rail, with some Amtrak and Conrail thrown in:

10FA3435-5858-4FF8-8794-ACC479E1B063

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 0CA60D8B-AF8C-42F3-8A2C-C64E93E2E3F8
  • A6CACE15-C8EA-4621-81C4-FCE6AA623C0E
  • 10FA3435-5858-4FF8-8794-ACC479E1B063

Melgar, I forgot to tell you that I admired the hand made bridges you made and the finese in which you placed your structures displayed in your photographs shared at our table at the luncheon.

I have also enjoyed ALL of the photos of your fine collection of motive power on your layout in this past year. 

It was a wonderful to meet you once again, I know we have talked at Chesire and or Big E in the past. Hoping to socialize again soon. Maybe the Big E next time!

Pierre (Leroof)

Fendermain, I went to York probably a total of 3 times. Last  time attended probably 2004. Haven't been able to financially wing it since. I guess I would have to sell telecaster, strat and amp to manage that!  But, Publishers Clearing House may come up the driveway! Lol. In any event, I might be able to share expenses with my buddy in my neighborhood again sometime. Do you ever do the BIG E in Springfield  Massachusetts?  Is that a feasible opportunity for you?

I guess an interesting forum  topic might be how far one would travel to attend a show and visit friends. Yeah  it worked this past weekend!

all good, time will tell.

Leroof posted:

Fendermain, I went to York probably a total of 3 times. Last  time attended probably 2004. Haven't been able to financially wing it since. I guess I would have to sell telecaster, strat and amp to manage that!  But, Publishers Clearing House may come up the driveway! Lol. In any event, I might be able to share expenses with my buddy in my neighborhood again sometime. Do you ever do the BIG E in Springfield  Massachusetts?  Is that a feasible opportunity for you?

I guess an interesting forum  topic might be how far one would travel to attend a show and visit friends. Yeah  it worked this past weekend!

all good, time will tell.

Leroof,  It looks like the next one is in January.  The spring or fall for such travels work better for me.  How far would one travel to attend a show and visit friends topic indeed. 

Something will pop up. Like you said...time will tell.

I don't travel alone...need something for my wife to do/see as well.

Actually seeing more of the northeast would be a good thing. I have been to Acadia NP in your great state..what a beautiful place.  We also visited the finger lakes area in NY a couple times...beautiful as well. Our travels have mostly taken us south or west.

Fendermain

Leroof and his lovely wife drove 6 and one-half hours from Maine to join us this past weekend. They stayed over at my home Saturday night.

Leroof brought me a unique gift, not a train, which is shown in the video below:

Extra, Extra, read all about it, Yankee shortstop gets eaten by alien, spider-like robot creature:

IMG_0773

LOL, Arnold

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0773
Videos (1)
20181210_224213
Last edited by Arnold D. Cribari
coach joe posted:

Paul I was looking at one of those ARR hoppers at the show but passed because I've got more ARR rolling stock than I need.  I wonder if you picked it up from the same vendor?

Joe;

Not sure of the name (Ike’s Trains???), but I bought it from a vendor at the back of the hall, on the right side - his tables were closest to the stage. He was offering $5 off all prices. Thanks for leaving it for me. I actually road on the ARR a few years ago on vacation, but I only have a Lionel ARR F3 ABA.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.