Skip to main content

Dear MTH.   When I (we) asked you for a 2-8-0 Consolidation in Western Maryland #734 livery you made a special uncatalogued release 20-3562-1.   I pre-ordered that model and its one of the best steamers I own.  I have another favor.   PLEASE make a 2-6-6-2 WM #1309.  Lionel makes a  2-6-6-2 but I want a Premier DCS PS3 model.  Western Maryland is making good progress on the 1309 restoration and I'm hoping to see it run this summer/fall 2019.

Obsidian posted:

Dear MTH.   When I (we) asked you for a 2-8-0 Consolidation in Western Maryland #734 livery you made a special uncatalogued release 20-3562-1.   I pre-ordered that model and its one of the best steamers I own.  I have another favor.   PLEASE make a 2-6-6-2 WM #1309.  Lionel makes a  2-6-6-2 but I want a Premier DCS PS3 model.  Western Maryland is making good progress on the 1309 restoration and I'm hoping to see it run this summer/fall 2019.

3rd Rail put out feelers for a 1309 model a few years ago when the 1:1 project first got started. Speculation has it they'll try again once the loco is back amongst the operational and people actually know about an "east coast articulated". I'd suggest saving your play money for that possibility--as much as I'd also like to see a MTH version, contraction in the 'O' market being what it is, a 3rd Rail brass version is  far more likely to happen, and I'll be saving toward that end once the real 1309 is complete.

---PCJ

Last edited by RailRide
Dominic Mazoch posted:

OK:

UP 3985 back in steam before 1309?  Bets please!

Copied from a post in another thread here on OGR concerning the 3985:

Nothing from UP, and nothing that I actually heard, but … an unbiased poster in Ogden stated that UP Senior VP Moore thought that 3985 would no longer be part of their running steam stable. Explaining that they've had two great steam engines in the past, and will do the same now with 4014 and 844. 

The people at the top wanted a "Big Boy." That's what they got.

Personally I figured it would work out like this - having 844 and 4014 in service is more than enough for the limited number of times UP operates steam in a year.

Steamer posted:

Several people have heard Ed Dickens first hand say that as long as he is in charge 3985 will not run.

Hello Steamer

I wondered what his "beef" is against the Challenger ?  Does anyone know the truth of this. U.P. should put all 3 running like Santa Fe's "Big 3" 5001,2900 and 3460 class"  I remember the book of Santa Fe's big 3 back in high school days.

He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.  Psalm 91:4 NKJV

Tiffany

Ed Mullan posted:

I have no doubt that the 3985 could go places that the other two could not.

My favorite.

Ed

Hello Ed Mullan

The 3985 is my favorite U.P. engine and purchased the Railking version of this engine #30-1724-1 last Dec and became my favorite Railking engine.   I think  it is Mr. Dicken's bad judgement to not put the Challenger back on the road after all it is no doubt a fan favorite and this could hurt U.P. business wise by loosing paying fans.   U.P. could have all 3 like the "Santa Fe's "Big 3"  But U.P.'s Big 3 #844,3985 and 4014 of the 21st. century !!! 

You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor by arrow that flies by day, Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor of the destruction that lays waste by noonday.

Psalm 91:5-6 NKJV

Tiffany

Ed Mullan posted:

I have no doubt that the 3985 could go places that the other two could not.

My favorite.

Ed

I know 3985 has a lot of fans. That's a good thing.  I'll be amazed if UP wants to spend the $$$ to keep three large locomotives in operation, but one reason it could in the future is if they decide they _always_ want two operating... even when one is down for it's 1472.  If that's the case, 3985's turn would be a few years off.

That said, either here or on RYPN there was a good technical discussion when this project was announced regarding clearances and turns.  What was finally decided, the three had pretty similar constraints.  But the larger, and common constraint are the tenders.  That big four axial truck on the tender needs a wider turn than 844's drivers.

As to 4014's drivers on the ground?  Ok.  Fine.  Ask Rich how often, over the years, 765 dropped drivers or other wheels on the ground in yards.  Just a year or so ago, when 765 rolled some rail in it's own yard, he talked about how it's part of railroading.  About a year ago, a GEVO dropped most of a truck on the ground on a branch line near my house as it was shoving a bad order car into a siding usually used only for MOW equipment.  I think the bigger question is does the crew take the correct action when it occurs to minimize and reduce the risk of damage.   About 1990, I watched 611 have an issue getting around a wye in Columbus, Ohio.  As it was being walked around one leg, it was noticed the rear driver was riding up on the rail.  The crew was good and they were able to stop in time.  They had to loosen up hardware for the trailing truck to allow it to make the curve, then tighten it back up later.  Now 611 and her sisters had used that wye for decades, and 611 had used the wye the previous year.  What happened?  That leg had been shifted slightly because of nearby road construction.  Yet they still walked her around that curve, just in case.  The crew was ready.  All part of railroading.

Bob

Rich Melvin posted:

The 4014’s little derailment episode is a complete nothing burger. It happens on good track or bad, typically in sharp curves or switches. It is indeed part of railroading and happens literally every day somewhere.

And it will happen to the 1309 someday. It’s just not a big deal.

A Nothing Burger?  Just got one of those at Mickey D’s,  All bun and condiments, “There’s NO Beef!”.

Larry

Steamer posted:

Several people have heard Ed Dickens first hand say that as long as he is in charge 3985 will not run.

People in the rabid anti-Union Pacific Steam Program posse say a lot of things. Quickly on in these 10 years of childishness, I've learned to take everything they say with a big, fat grain of salt. A lot of baloney flies.

3985 is not Ed Dickens decision to make, anyway. 

Chuck Sartor posted:

My question is why don't they convert it to oil, like 4014? It would save a ton of money in not needing a coal facility and ashpit.

There's probably a couple reasons, Chuck.  I don't pretend to be an expert so these are just my opinions. 

First would be that some groups place a higher value on authenticity.  Not saying this is the case but there are those who feel if a locomotive was coal fired in its operational life it should be coal fired in restoration as well.  Take a look at all the live steam scale model railroaders who still run on coal.  It's dirtier to handle, needs an ash pit and sometimes difficult to procure yet they continue to use it because it gives them that feel of operating "the real thing."

Second, it may well be an East Coast/West Coast thing.  1309 is on the East Coast where it seems fires from cinders are less of a concern and coal is more readily available.  With the drier climates on the West Coast fire is a real consideration.  Likewise, coal just isn't as available as it once was.  The West Coast, from my experience, is a more oil-centric environment.

What you say makes sense.  Sometimes that isn't where the operator's sensibilities lie.

Convert 1309 to oil?  They already have the infrastructure to support coal from when they ran 734.  Those locomotives weren't oil fired back in the day, so they would be treading completely new ground, additional costs for the restoration and who knows how much testing, a real chance they would have to make modifications or even failure.  It isn't like 1309 will be out on the main line.  It goes back home to it's very own shop and already existing ash pit every day.  

The conversation for 4014 made sense 1) It had been done before, was well tested and they had all the details and records; 2) They can arrange for the fuel delivery from a vendor where ever they are on the road. 3) They won't need to deal with ash where ever they are. 4) They are in dry lands and oil does reduce the fire hazard.  This is less of an issue in the East.  5) 844 is oil fired.  If they do rebuild 3985, it will be oil fired.  So they are an oil fire shop.

Bob

Chuck Sartor posted:

My question is why don't they convert it to oil, like 4014? It would save a ton of money in not needing a coal facility and ashpit.

Too hard to look at a map and determine the proximity of coal supplies to Ridgeley, WV?  

Oil would have to be trucked in , most supplies for that area come from Altoona,PA., and other points on the east coast.

The facility for 734 is still there, it just needs modernized.

Sometimes I don't understand the one size fits all mentality some of you have...

645 posted:
Dominic Mazoch posted:

OK:

UP 3985 back in steam before 1309?  Bets please!

Copied from a post in another thread here on OGR concerning the 3985:

Nothing from UP, and nothing that I actually heard, but … an unbiased poster in Ogden stated that UP Senior VP Moore thought that 3985 would no longer be part of their running steam stable. Explaining that they've had two great steam engines in the past, and will do the same now with 4014 and 844. 

The people at the top wanted a "Big Boy." That's what they got.

Personally I figured it would work out like this - having 844 and 4014 in service is more than enough for the limited number of times UP operates steam in a year.

The real reason is that 3985 has no "4's" in its number...  The fact that 8 is twice 4 doesn't count.

Rusty

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.