Skip to main content

152 motor questions.
I have a 152 early shell and frame (needs to be repainted and rubber stamped).

I also have (I think) a #5 hump back motor (did not come with the frame and shell).

Question on the motor: Looks like on the idler gear there is a shoulder type screw instead of a nut (like my others). Was this screw ever used  instead of a nut used on the earlier 152 versions?

Just curious as I will be using this motor as it will not be a restore project but will be a rebuild/Tinplate Fantasy EngineJ

The motor works, but needs a new contact rollers assembly.

Will get one not assembled so that I could transfer the original Lionel badge to the new roller assembly and do a complete rewire. Also needs a new repro strap head light, bell and couplers.

From my reading it looks like the early 152 came with the #4 motor?
Made about 1918?

Attachments

Images (4)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Harry Henning posted:

Ron,

I used to make a threaded 6:32 stud to replace the original stud w/ nut. This may be one of those conversions.  Harry

Looks like the stud was removed, the metal side of the motor may of been tapped to accept the screw with a shoulder for the gear and as you can see the screw is made for a flat screw driver. I will be taking the wheels off this weekend, spreading the frame to remove the pick up assembly. I will try to post more pictures at that point. Just curious as I never saw that before.

Hi Ron,

Checked my locos (six that I could get to quick) 150's, 152's and out of that- two have the flat head screw as you and Harry describe. But they're all type 4 motors. My 2001 Greenberg's says the type 5 motor (which is what your photo is) was used on later 152 version with stamped handrail's 1925-27. Before that only the type 4 motor.

A side note; I distinctly remember working on a humpback frame that had holes drilled for both brush holder types (4 &5) and at the time it really caught my attention. I find it hard to believe anyone could have registered and drilled those holes accurately outside of the factory? ended up tapping the unused holes for the type 4 brushes and it worked great.

Curious why replacing the bell and headlight? They don't look that bad? Original bells are really hard to find...it's like folks hoard them

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.