Skip to main content

Hello All,

I was doing some running last weekend and everything was fine until my RK PS2 mallet buzzed 3 times then stopped. I did a full system shut down, turned everything back on and after a few minutes of running, it did it again in a different spot on the layout. So thinking it’s the engine, I put on a Premier PS2 diesel and it did the same thing. This makes me think it’s something with the TIU. I have a REVL TIU with version 4.2 loaded.

If anyone knows what is going on, please let me know.

Thank you

Nick

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nick,

Based on the following...

• PS2/PS3 engines will always continue doing the last command that DCS issues even when the DCS signal goes away
  • DCS typically doesn't issue stray commands by itself
  • This occurs with two different PS2 engines

...my opinion is that the issue is more likely to be with the transformer or layout wiring than with the TIU.

You could swap the input and output of the TIU to Fixed #2, while ensuring that the TIU still gets power for itself on either the Aux. Power port or Fixed #1 Input, and see if the problem persists. If it does not, the TIU's Fixed #1 is most likely the problem.

If the problem still persists, I'd look at the transformer and the wiring.

Thanks Barry

Can you tell me what it means when the PS2 engines flash the lights and buzzes 3 times and then turns off? Is this a safety built into the PS2 board?

Also, I checked my 3 180 Lionel transformers and wiring and all looks good. my wiring is in the star pattern and I have 3 wiring blocks with the TIU in the fixed channel configuration. Everything has been running fine for 3 months since we got the new layout fired up, then this. Needless to say I am stumped.

Nick

Nick,

It sounds like somehow you are cross-connecting two power supplies, however, it's really difficult to diagnose remotely.

Think back to any wiring changes that you might have recently made, and also closely inspect any place where one power supply's wires or tracks may be unintentionally and intermittently touching another power supply's wires or tracks.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.