Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Apple & Spud Line:

What is that van?  Also what do you use for snow and how do you create the glare on the bricks and streets?  Very impressive Christmas setup!  Merry Christmas!

A&SL,

That is an Ertl NYC Maintenance van, and its over by the switch now.  It was inexpensive...

The snow is an easy four-step process:

1. Double layer of cotton batting
  2. Snow-Tex "glop" for piles
  3. Spray everything with water/glue mix and sprinkle with Woodland Scenics large flake snow.
  4. Coat everything with spray glitter (self adhesive), either silver or "diamond dust".   Be careful, it covers everything!

after that, I just poured a small stream of Woodland Scenics Realistic water down the gutters and let it self-level, or maybe using a small foam brush to get it to spread.

I used the same water, in layers, for the canal.

makes me cold just looking at it!

Thanks for the comments!

IMG_1295

IMG_1299

IMG_1304

IMG_1310

IMG_1313

IMG_1314

Attachments

Images (6)
  • IMG_1295
  • IMG_1299
  • IMG_1304
  • IMG_1310
  • IMG_1313
  • IMG_1314
Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Sorry about the loss of your beloved cat, Ed. Pets are our family members and it hurts to loose one. Perhaps a lucky cat out there can find a new home with your family.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Passenger Train Collector - Yes, hoping to get another cat, its amazing how attached we get to our pets.

For whatever reasons, cats just seem to like laying under Christmas trees, here is an

another photo of two of our other cats under the tree.

Attachments

Images (1)

From the Northern Pacific Railway Museum in Toppenish, WA last weekend.  They had 10-12 layouts (over 40 operating trains) on display as part of their 10th Annual Toy Train Christmas.  The displays ranged from Z to G with 4-5 HO displays and one each larger winter scene layouts in O, S and G.  This event runs annually every weekend from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  The fact these folks pull 5,000 visitors at $6 each in the middle of nowhere is almost as amazing as the LHS (there is one about 3 exits up the highway) not sponsoring it or not trying to sell boxed Christmas sets at the event or even across the street (but I digress). 

NPRM http://www.nprymuseum.org/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages...nish/225189807620046

News story http://www.yakimaherald.com/ne...of-holiday-nostalgia

It was dark inside so I didn't take many videos or pictures.  Regretfully this is all I shot on my phone although the links I provided have some additional pictures.  The volunteers only have a few days to set up these temporary layouts at their own expense.  They take up space used for other exhibits throughout the rest of the year.  The video sequence is LGB, Lionel then S.  The S shows a Challenger running most of the time with Big Boy blowing its horn going up the grade at the end.

Last edited by Apple & Orange Line

I do both O Gauge and N Scale, but I really love how O Gauge lends itself to themed layouts at Halloween and Christmas, etc.  Simply awesome photos by all who have posted before me.

This is the 3rd year since my return to trains that we have put up a village with a train.  The first two years were both on train tables.  This year, was the first, however, that we incorporated the Christmas Tree like I see in many photos.  I say we, because my wife was okay on the idea of having the trains around the tree.  But, man, it is not as easy in person as what I see on the internet, trying not to step on or knock over things.

PIX 173

As you can see in the photos, we combined the Walt Disney World Monorail with the Lionel Christmas Train.  I know the Matterhorn at Disneyland is not a ski resort, but for our layout, we’re considering the Mr. Christmas ski resort as our Matterhorn, LOL.

Took countless photos in the dark trying to get those “night photos” but none came out any good.  Maybe I need to upgrade my camera. 

I wanted to use the integrated roadbed for the track so as not to get the cotton into the engines, but went ahead and used the tubular tracks so that the train noise didn’t drown out the sounds from all of the musical Christmas items.  Maybe after today’s festivities, I will put down the integrated road bed and leave the musical items off.

Merry Christmas everyone!

PIX 104

PIX 121

PIX 162

PIX 166

PIX 271

PIX 276

PIX 070

Attachments

Images (8)
  • PIX 173
  • PIX 104
  • PIX 121
  • PIX 162
  • PIX 166
  • PIX 271
  • PIX 276
  • PIX 070x
Last edited by Amfleet25124

A few more photos.

The MTH Christmas Trolley (my first ever Christmas themed train purchase in 2011) operating along Big Box Retail Road in another part of the house

PIX 289

PIX 291x

PIX 298

And then to top it off (pun intended), an aerial view of the Christmas Tree Train Village from up above in my RC Cessna that one of the village residents has taken for a spin this Christmas Day.

PIX 304

Attachments

Images (4)
  • PIX 289
  • PIX 291x
  • PIX 298
  • PIX 304
Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Sam, what a beautiful Christmas layout. Shows that a lot of effort went into it. Very nice job and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Thank you!  With this the only time of year that we set up and run the trains, it is pretty amazing being able to take over nearly half of the living room to create this fun, festive Christmas display!

-Sam

I kept it very simple this year. This is my "new-old" train set. It is a mix of Bing and Ives. A church member gave it to me. It was her grandfather's train, and she wanted it to go to some home where it would be cared for, run, and appreciated. All I had to do was clean the track and lube all the moving parts. It runs just like the day it was made.

131224 Ives Train

Here is the guard cat on duty. He is really intrigued by this train. He just sits there and watches it go around the tree.

Chris

LVHR

131224 Ives Train2

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 131224 Ives Train
  • 131224 Ives Train2
Last edited by lehighline
Originally Posted by arrsd90:

SAM M

What are you using as a base,  Just like the different look, as to how a lot

of stuff fit in the area !!!

Thanks

My main base is 3 sections - built with plywood on 2x4s, with ceiling tiles on top of that.  With some shims underneath, it is about 5" off the ground - matching the height of our fireplace.  A 4th section is built up in the left corner in a similar fashion, with some features just sheets of 1/2", 1", and 2" foam.

Thanks for asking!

-Sam

Originally Posted by Apple & Spud Line:
Originally Posted by SamM:

Wonderful Christmas layouts again this year!  So amazing to see what everybody is able to put together for the holidays.  Here are some photos from ours this year...

Merry Christmas to all!

Did the train come with Rudolph characters or did you make that?  Nice Christmas display!

It did not. They are Rudolph figures that can be found as sets or as ornaments. I got some at a local toy store years ago. The rest I searched for and bought through Amazon this year. There are two special cars caring them, one a converted flatcar and the other hand made from a pair of extra trucks and a piece of plastic. 

Sam

Originally Posted by boomer0622:

Sam,  Great video and beautiful layout.

How did you do the snow on the tops of the Polar Express cars ?

Doug

Thanks Doug - much appreciated!  The snow is simply some white cotton fabric cut to fit the roofs of the cars and either hot glued out white glued on.  I did it a few years ago and couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  

Sam

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.