Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Dan986:

IMG_5817

IMG_5819

Photos of the family Christmas tree from the mid 1970s.The trains are Lionel/MPC,which is still the era I run the most.My Dad's tradition of a train going around a real tree will continue on.

Dan

IMG_5840

IMG_5838

IMG_5844

Keeping the family tradition of a real tree and train running around it going this Christmas.The 1970s photos and 2014 photos were taken of the same location in my Mom's house.

Dan

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_5840
  • IMG_5838
  • IMG_5844
Last edited by Dan986

... to the tune of On top of Old Smoky...

Atop the 'ol pool table,

All covered in felt,

I put a small layout,

The smoke really smelt!

Because it was Christmas,

And no one could play,

We all watched the trains run,

All night and all day!

The steam was a' steamin',

The diesel was strong,

And nothing derailed,

Tho' the train was so long!

pooltabletrain

... and I just wanted to bump this thread up so more can enjoy pictures of the great train layouts of Christmas '14!

Ed

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pooltabletrain
Originally Posted by eddiem:

... to the tune of On top of Old Smoky...

Atop the 'ol pool table,

All covered in felt,

I put a small layout,

The smoke really smelt!

Because it was Christmas,

And no one could play,

We all watched the trains run,

All night and all day!

The steam was a' steamin',

The diesel was strong,

And nothing derailed,

Tho' the train was so long!

pooltabletrain

... and I just wanted to bump this thread up so more can enjoy pictures of the great train layouts of Christmas '14!

Ed

I could hardly read the words without the tune playing in my head. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

DSC_0041

DSC_0043

DSC_0044

DSC_0045

DSC_0046

DSC_0048

Here are some views of my Christmas Tree and Layout.  Also, my new polar express display.  I have one of each of the shows that were classics growing up, ( Peanuts Christmas, the Rankin Bass classics-Rudolph, Frosty and Santa Claus is coming to town) But I did not have the new classic represented.  Now I have one!

As for the layout, the engine's are both my late fathers.  The 2056 was given to him by my grandfather when my dad was born, and the Pennsy switcher he bought in the mid 70's when he  had his own home and put his layout up.  Since he got me on this path to railroading history I will always have them running.  Even now my kids both know them as Papa's trains and they are special.  The layout is basic, Plasticville and a lone Ideal diner with Matchbox cars.  Even though it is simple I can sit with some Christmas music on watch the trolley and the two trains make hundreds of loops.  I know I am not alone with getting nostalgic and sentimental when it comes to Christmas and trains

Attachments

Images (6)
  • DSC_0041
  • DSC_0043
  • DSC_0044
  • DSC_0045
  • DSC_0046
  • DSC_0048

Okay, I finally got the Christmas train and village up and running this past weekend.  I have a 2012 Polar Express running on the inside loop of Fastrack O-36, and an MTH NYC Hudson with the PS2 upgrade pulling three MTH Madison cars on the O-48 loop.  The village buildings and figures were all collected by my wife's late grandmother.  They are a mix of Lemax, Dickens Village, and one Dept 56.  We set them up on two folding tables in our recently married daughter's old room.  This is the first time we have had room for the village since we bought my mother-in-laws house 4 years ago.

2014-12-12 21.32.25

2014-12-12 21.32.38

2014-12-12 21.32.54

2014-12-12 21.33.08I will take some closeups and try a video later this week or probably next.  My wife was pretty pleased.  

One caveat.  Our daughter who still lives with us helped me raise the completed tables up to put blocks under them to give enough height so our terrier could not reach the table edge.  First try she got her claws stuck on Randy Harrison's great snow blanket and tore it.  I was able to hide the tear.  Now that Annie can't reach the trains, she has no interest at all.  In previous years she barked at the PE every time I ran it, then nudged the Berkshire off the track.  

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 2014-12-12 21.32.25
  • 2014-12-12 21.32.38
  • 2014-12-12 21.32.54
  • 2014-12-12 21.33.08
Originally Posted by emtp53:

This is the Paugh Family Winter Christmas Layout.  We started building the layout approximately two years ago and have been adding to it ever since.  The theme is a 1940's - early 1950's Christmas.  Enjoy!

You have succeeded beautifully in achieving your theme and displaying excellent modeling technique.  Congratulations to you and your family.

So, how did you do the snowy streets?

This is the Paugh Family Winter Christmas Layout.  We started building the layout approximately two years ago and have been adding to it ever since.  The theme is a 1940's - early 1950's Christmas.  Enjoy!

IMG_0036

What material do you use to create your snow effect? It almost looks like baby powder or a white dry detergent. Is it permanent or can it be vacuumed off? It looks great!

Sorry, not related but I have been there.  The train was my Birthday present in August from my wife but she watches the movie several times during the Christmas Season.  My wife painted the Nativity when we first got married 36 years ago.  Her father built the manager.  It's a one of a kind.
Originally Posted by Mark Boyce:
Originally Posted by PRR Joe:

Christmas Story at the Krayniks.

IMG_0622

Ah yes, Kraynik's in Hermitage, Pennsylvania.  We took the kids there many times when they were little.

Gives me an idea.  We need a "Live Nativity" in our Christmas village!  I will have to see if we have one about the right size.

Last edited by PRR Joe
Sorry, not related but I have been there.  The train was my Birthday present in August from my wife but she watches the movie several times during the Christmas Season.  My wife painted the Nativity when we first got married 36 years ago.  Her father built the manager.  It's a one of a kind.

IMG_0622

Ah yes, Kraynik's in Hermitage, Pennsylvania.  We took the kids there many times when they were little.

Gives me an idea.  We need a "Live Nativity" in our Christmas village!  I will have to see if we have one about the right size.

Joe,

so your name is Kraynik.  Now 'at the Krayniks' makes more sense.  Anyway, thank you for putting the nativity under the tree.  I was just thinking last night we need something in our village I posted a couple of days ago to show the true reason for the season.

Thank you!!

Notice: Baby Jesus doesn't get there until Christmas.  A family tradition.
Have a great and Blessed Christmas!

IMG_0622

Joe,

so your name is Kraynik.  Now 'at the Krayniks' makes more sense.  Anyway, thank you for putting the nativity under the tree.  I was just thinking last night we need something in our village I posted a couple of days ago to show the true reason for the season.

Thank you!!

IMG_0036

IMG_0037

IMG_0040

IMG_0046

IMG_0038

IMG_0041

Very nice work!  Question, you Santa's Flyer engine, did you do something to make the 2 lower lamps light at the front of the engine or did it come out of the box that way? (best seen in the 2nd to last pic)

Notice: Baby Jesus doesn't get there until Christmas.  A family tradition.
Have a great and Blessed Christmas!

IMG_0622

Joe,

Thank you!!

Joe,

So I see! That is an excellent tradition because of the meaning behind it!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.