Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

IF your track work is good, has flat-top rail (Atlas, Gargraves, MTH, FasTrack) and your curves broad enough (O-72 and larger,) you can use the scale-wheeled MTH diesels unmodified. You'll have to use Kadee-equipped rolling stock to connect to the locomotive -- a "trainsition car" -- to allow the user of a train full of three-rail equipment. Curve-replacement turnouts (i.e. O-72) may cause some problems with the scale wheels. MTH sells hi-rail wheelsets for their diesels which would allow you to use any 3-rail track with them subject to the curve restrictions, but turnouts would not be a problem.

I bought the MTH Legacy SD70ACe in SP colors in scale-wheeled, fixed-pilot version with the desire to install the hi-rail wheels. I using past-tense for a reason...the model came through with some quality defects that disappointed and I traded it back to my LHS for the ABBA N-S F7 Restoration model. So I never did get to convert the wheel sets, but I did get a chance to run it on my layout.

I have all Ross track with the minimum curves of O-88. The wheels held the track okay, but derailed in the switches due to the oversized hi-rail frogs. In other words, without modifying all the switches by instally a shim in the bottom of the frog to keep the wheels from falling in and then going in a different direction, it really DIDN'T WORK very well on hi-rail track in my experience.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.