Skip to main content

Big Jim posted:
walt rapp posted:
Big Jim posted:

Screws I said!

So are you saying to screw the paws to the plate?

thanks - walt

Sure, why not? Go from underneath up.

Walt,
Here is mine. I filed the wheels flat and the nub off and shaped the base to the paws. Placed the pup standing on my scanner, then scanned to make a template for were to drill the screw holes for the paws. I measured to mark where the bolster screw should be placed and drilled all out. Then painted the base. I used the screws that were already in the heels of the paws to attach the pup to my homemade base. Then the screw from the truck holds the base to the truck. No glue or filling needed.  All told, it took only a few hours (actual working time) to complete.

IMG_20190506_182403449_HDRIMG_20190506_182443009_HDRIMG_20190506_182507866IMG_20190506_182529962

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_20190506_182403449_HDR
  • IMG_20190506_182443009_HDR
  • IMG_20190506_182507866
  • IMG_20190506_182529962
Last edited by Big Jim

I have an update for all of you trying to get the best results. Seems there are 3 versions of Slinky Dog Jr.  ( or in train talk variations ) There is the first one that I posted here that has no string in the body. This one seems to work the best. The second variation Has a black string. It expands but only as far as the string will let it. The 3rd variation has a white string but also a retracting mechanism in the rear the will retract  the string when the motion stops.  I guess you could cut the string if you are unhappy with the results you are getting.

Now for Slinky Dog Part DEU.   One of the members posted a picture of a slinky dog family. I just couldn't resist. So I made one. The mom as I call her is larger. The problem with the larger one is that the center of gravity is relay far forward for  O gauge trucks. So I has to put counter weights on it. The other thing I ran into was with 3 dogs all the weight had shifted to the center dog. It always seems to be stretched out going around curves.  Oh well I'm still happy with it. You can see it in action below. And yes that is a real hot dog. We had a slight derailment and mustard and catsup ended up on moms face. Just part of the fun I guess...

Bruce...

Can someone respond if they have this engine to sell trade or know where to get it? Its the low profile

that I need to motorize the dog. Gunnerrunnerjohn said it was from an old 12.5 inch

William 44 tonner. The oldie Williams I have has the motor mounted vertically so is a

nogo. Specific Williams product name/number would help. Also, did this engine come in

other engine products? Oh, The JB Weld idea someone passed on works great and gives a good ,solid base

to work with.

Appreciatively, Unclepeterr

UnclePeteRR posted:

Can someone respond if they have this engine to sell trade or know where to get it? Its the low profile

that I need to motorize the dog. Gunnerrunnerjohn said it was from an old 12.5 inch

William 44 tonner. The oldie Williams I have has the motor mounted vertically so is a

nogo. Specific Williams product name/number would help. Also, did this engine come in

other engine products? Oh, The JB Weld idea someone passed on works great and gives a good ,solid base

to work with.

Appreciatively, Unclepeterr

Actually, I said nothing of the sort!  This truck is from the new Williams scale 44-Ton locomotive.

walt rapp posted:

STOSHU: I don't see a string in mine.  I'm assuming it's "inside" the spring somewhere, right?

- walt

The string is inside the spring to keep it from stretching too far.  If it's not there, you'll have a big problem the first time it gets too much force on the rear, it'll wreck the spring.

Last edited by gunrunnerjohn
Stoshu posted:
walt rapp posted:

STOSHU: I don't see a string in mine.  I'm assuming it's "inside" the spring somewhere, right?

- walt

nope.... you have the "No String" version. That one seems to work the best. Are you still having problems ?

Bruce...

I was wrong!!!  I got it out last night to look and sure enough, you are right, there is a white string in there.  I just didn't notice it before but it's so obvious when one knows to look for it! 

I'm going to re-read your post - I didn't read it closely at all and I THINK you suggested some things.

Mine works but not nearly as good as the one in your original video.

- walt

E-UNIT-79 posted:

GRJohn, cant you use 1 of those powered trucks and stick a mini commander or some small err board in the dogs head just for fun. Would be great to have that run command and if anyone could do it that's you....

You could, but you'd have to figure a way to get the Mini-Commander inside, that would involve splitting the plastic.  Best place would probably be the front body as the plastic rod going down is probably solid.

Bart1 posted:

I am late to this topic but how to you and what do you use to mount a plate on the top of 2 trucks?

Yup raise the platform. The first trucks I used did not need a raised platform. The second ones did. I just glued a couple pop sickle sticks to the bottom of the sheet metal I used for the base. If you can , get some couplers with longer couplers on them. Similar to what you see on a passenger car or extended vision caboose.  

Hope this helps.    

Bruce...

( there also may be pictures on previous posts.... )

Thanks for the inspiration on the slink dog project everyone that contributed ideas. Having looked at this post a few times I thought I might try it out. Looked around a few stores figured with the new Toy Story movie coming out soon there might be something around; nothing at the Disney store amazing, but found a slink dog like the one on page 2 of this post with the hard plastic middle instead of a spring, cheap enough.

With limited resources with me while running my train display at the Thomas event at our railway museum I went to work trying to figure out how to make this work and get it running quickly for the show.  I had a $1 store plastic colored slinky type toy, cut most of the plastic middle out of the dog, and cut the string inside in half, tied a thick rubber band to either end of the string and wrapped in tape so it would not untie. Cut a small hole at the top of middle of the dog front and back middle ends, then threaded a couple of loops of the spring inside. Punched a hole in the plastic ends that was the middle fake spring, and looped a couple of loops of wire through the hole and around a couple of loops of the slinky spring to keep it in place. Got some wood scrap thin enough to fit between some metal trucks between the wheels, a screw through the middle of the truck from the bottom up into the wood and used a  couple of loops of zip strap around the middle of the truck to keep feet in line. Trimmed the feet so they were flat on the bottom and instant glued them to the wood then wrapped some wire around through the toes and wood to keep the feet in place.  Tried it out on a Thomas train with a car behind; that derailed so I left it with no car behind the slink dog. Kids at the show running the trains approved, works fairly well, looks pretty good, it does not expand and contract as far as the video on page one of this post, but it does expand and contract enough for a good looking moving slinky dog the visitors really notice and like.  Perhaps I will find the true slinky dog with the metal middle and try it out.

We have the Thomas the train ride event at our railway museum; a long weekend 3 days this past weekend and next weekend 2 days with 1000's of people coming through to ride Thomas and lots of activities and displays at our railway park . As shown I have a 12x12 foot display with 10 trains running with the LionChief controllers bolted to control boards mounted on the fence. The kids can control all the trains and press buttons for sounds and other animated stuff like the Lionel Gateman, Cranky the Crane and flying Harold the Helicopter + lots of other animated stuff. It is great having the fence crowded with 20-30 little kids and even teens running the Thomas the Tank engine theme trains. Enjoy the pics click on first photo for a larger view then scan scroll through them. Lets see your Slinky Dog projects, this took me a couple of hours and simple to put together. 

s1s2s3s4s5s6s7

Attachments

Images (7)
  • s1
  • s2
  • s3
  • s4
  • s5
  • s6
  • s7

Another update for those looking to buy the Slinky Dog Jr. toy.  Walmart is selling these on their website for $7.00.  Free local pickup availability varies by location; otherwise an order total >=$35 gets the free shipping. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dis...nky-Dog-Jr/433993118

My local WMT has them shelf priced at $8.92.  Store Mgrs. will likely price match their website.

Slinky Dog Jr.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Slinky Dog Jr.: Slinky Dog Jr.
Last edited by Keystone

It really is easy to make one, my problem is what John and others ran into, clearance of the head, I run it at the club on tracks with higher clearances than my home layout and on small layouts with no overhead above tracks for the kids. I have Thomas pull it and the slinky action is quite good.

Keystone posted:

Another update for those looking to buy the Slinky Dog Jr. toy.  Walmart is selling these on their website for $7.00.  Free local pickup availability varies by location; otherwise an order total >=$35 gets the free shipping. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dis...nky-Dog-Jr/433993118

My local WMT has them shelf priced at $8.92.  Store Mgrs. will likely price match their website.

Slinky Dog Jr.

the one that is I saw in the WM near me was REALLY BIG - garden railroad size at least.  It's been a month since I saw it so I can't say that what is shown above is the same but from what I recall it looks like it.

- walt

Last edited by walt rapp
walt rapp posted:

the one that is I saw in the WM near me was REALLY BIG - garden railroad size at least.  It's been a month since I saw it so I can't say that what is shown above is the same but from what I recall it looks like it.

- walt

I also saw the large and super-sized plush type dogs in the same dedicated “Toy Story 4” aisle section. The Junior size was located on eye level hooks with some other similarly sized characters from the franchise.  When this thread first appeared my local WMT stores did not carry these Jr. sized characters.  New stock might be due to the new #4 release and stocking up for the holiday season. 

Last edited by Keystone

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.