I have the Trackman 2000 and the Northeast Trains model.  The Northeast Trains model is more attractive, but for cleaning power, I like the Trackman 2000.  So, it's a choice, appearance or cleaning power.

FWIW, you can put any desired pad on the Northeast Trains car, mine has felt pads.

Attachments

Photos (2)
gunrunnerjohn posted:

I have the Trackman 2000 and the Northeast Trains model.  The Northeast Trains model is more attractive, but for cleaning power, I like the Trackman 2000.  So, it's a choice, appearance or cleaning power.

FWIW, you can put any desired pad on the Northeast Trains car, mine has felt pads.

GRJ - what cleaning solution, if any, do you put on either car when you run them ?

I use the original Lionel 3927 modified with a Scothbrite pad cut to substitute the round foam pad. I cut a paper towel and put a several wraps around the rear track wipe to pick up the dirt. The towel saves on replacing track wipes. Put alcohol on the Scothbrite, run it till the towel is dirty then peel a wrap off and do it again. I usually pull it with a TMCC or DCS engine for better speed control over the cleaning process.  If the track is too dirty may have to use a postwar engine until track is clean enough for one of the others to run.

Funny thing, I have the Lionel 3927 that I hacked to put a Scotchbrite pad on as well.  I also added a diode to slow the motor down, at 18V, the thing was about to fly!

I've never had the track dirty enough that one of the Legacy locomotives with four rollers can't pull the track cleaner, but I suppose it could happen.

My favorite of my track cleaners is still the Trackman 2000, it's a simple yet elegant design that works really well.

I have a CMX from Tony’s Train Exchange. Got a good deal on one at York a few years ago. Made of brass. Very heavy and very expensive. At close to $300. Mine came with Atlas Trucks.  Extremely well made. Dispenses your choice of cleaner from it’s tank onto a pad. One pad is wet followed with a dry one.Tracks the layout well and does a good job. Easy to replace pads. I have the Northeast Trains as well as a Centerline. The CMX is my go to when guests are coming over and you want no issues with dirty track.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com