Skip to main content

@Mallard4468 posted:

The chance of rain depends on how far you park from the hall, and it increases based on the size and value of the item you're trying to carry back to your car.

That’s why I always bring some big green trash bags with me. I keep them in my small backpack in case the weather fouls while carrying goodies back to the car.

I think in the last 20 years I only needed them twice.

Latest from the Weather Channel. Going to be on the cool side, but should be invigorating Spring weather. Partly cloudy from Wednesday through Saturday with highs in the mid/high 50s and lows in the high 30s/low 40s. Sure beats hot and humid or cold and rainy weather. I can remember a number of April York Meets where we had the latter. Of course, this could still change. Expect the unexpected.

Pat

Hey Brian,

In response to the hall changing with new colors, something else might occur off the topic here. I hear the Philly Flyers are moving their team to California following your steps and the NY Rangers are making Philly their secondary home. Wonder what we can call their halls/stadiums? Lol!
See you and Lynley next week at the promised land.

Ted, that would be a good thing! I’d get to see more live games rather than taking road trips to LA, Vegas and Phoenix. But Philly would never go for the ‘Ranjez’ skating there!

Lynley can’t make it this trip because of work obligations, so I’ll be flying solo. See you at the Meet!!

I'm sort of wondering what are going to be the most interesting things seen at the April York? Yeah, I know that it is going to largely depend on the person who sees whatever it is, but it is still interesting to someone I would imagine, me in particular since I can't make it.

Make sure to get all those great York pics of each other as well as layouts, and whatever you find of interest. Be sure to have a drink for me(Guinness is my favorite, have yours), and some good eating. Can't wait to see pics.

Weather Channel continues to be a bit more optimistic, particularly for Friday. Partly Cloudy for set up day and all three Meet days, with very little chance of rain. Getting warmer and less windy each day.

Date          Forecast                   High/Low Temperatures                    Probability of Rain                  Wind

WED 4/27            Partly Cloudy                 51/35                                                 3%                             WNW 17

THUR 4/28          Partly Cloudy                 54/37                                                 0%                             NW 16

FRI 4/29              Partly Cloudy                 59/40                                                 1%                             NW 13

SAT 4/30             Partly Cloudy                 60/42                                                  8%                             NW 10

Pat

@Mallard4468 posted:

How many folks are sticking around for Saturday?  I've stayed for Saturday morning the past couple of times, and was disappointed.  It's easier to walk the halls, but didn't find people to be any more negotiable than on Friday.  What are your experiences / strategies for Saturday?

Dinner with friends Friday night and Eastern Division business meeting Saturday 8AM.....then, I leave for home.....unless I decided to make an offer on something I had seen.....

Peter

I usually take one final walk around the Halls on Saturday then go to either the PRR museum, Strasburg RR ,Choo Choo barn or TCA museum.   Since the weather looks like it may be nice I might do a day trip to Gettysburg. I think its only 30 o 45 minutes from York. It’s about a 6 hour drive for me so I take full advantage of the traincation. I usually drive up on Wednesday and drive home on Sunday.  Last October we changed it up and did the train show Thur and Saturday and did the side trips on Friday.

I also try to take in the Wed night Eagles Nest DCS users meeting and Thursday morning Round the Clock breakfast .  Last October we went to the Quaker Stake and Lube dinner. I am not sure if they are having that this year.  I may take in the LOTs dinner as well. I think that is Friday night at Lynden dinner.

@amtrack5899 posted:

I usually take one final walk around the Halls on Saturday then go to either the PRR museum, Strasburg RR ,Choo Choo barn or TCA museum.   Since the weather looks like it may be nice I might do a day trip to Gettysburg. I think its only 30 o 45 minutes from York. It’s about a 6 hour drive for me so I take full advantage of the traincation. I usually drive up on Wednesday and drive home on Sunday.  Last October we changed it up and did the train show Thur and Saturday and did the side trips on Friday.

I also try to take in the Wed night Eagles Nest DCS users meeting and Thursday morning Round the Clock breakfast .  Last October we went to the Quaker Stake and Lube dinner. I am not sure if they are having that this year.  I may take in the LOTs dinner as well. I think that is Friday night at Lynden dinner.

It's about 45 minutes but if you go use these directions to avoid traffic - trust me, I'm headed there myself for a show my son is in tonight - he's a sophomore at Gettysburg College and I make a 8-10 trips a year.  Using google maps from York put in Gettysburg College Admissions office - you'll take RT 234 to RT 15.  Exit RT 15 for Gettysburg College as the directions tell you.  After 5 minutes or so you will pass Gettysburg High School on your right.  At the next light (Carlisle Ave) the directions will tell you to turn left (this passes the admissions office and takes you through the center of town)  - DO NOT TURN left - go straight through the light at Carlisle.  The next road is North Washington - turn left.  Stay straight until you hit the light at Steinwehr Ave (Tommy's Pizza is on the left).  You can go straight at the light and you'll be on Taneytown Rd which takes you straight through the middle of the park.  Much easier and less traffic.

I have a personal connection to the town as my Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought at the battle and has his name on the PA Monument.

Pa Monument Me & Gabe

-Greg

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pa Monument Me & Gabe
Last edited by Greg Houser
@amtrack5899 posted:

Since the weather looks like it may be nice I might do a day trip to Gettysburg. I think its only 30 o 45 minutes from York.

The latest map below clearly shows how to get to York via Gettysburg from points south. Take 15 N through Emmitsburg, then through Gettysburg stay on 15, then either Rt 30 or 234 east to York.

Gettysburg Map to York

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Gettysburg Map to York
@amtrack5899 posted:

Greg,  Thanks for the good directions.  I to had ancestors that fought in that war. If memory serves me correctly there was a regiment from Dunkirk/Fredonia NY area that fought on the third day near the tree line. I plan on looking it up when I am there.

GRJ,  what night do you guys gather at Quaker Stake and Lube?

If I may..........Thursday, around 6PM.......very informal.....just show up and say you’re with the OGR group, and, they’ll point you in the direction.

I would love to discuss Gettysburg....my wife’s family is from Massachusetts and a distant relative fought there  (my people were still in southern Italy)....used to stay there and make the trek to York from the Hampton Inn there.....the ride on Route 30 is very pleasant......

Peter

Last edited by Putnam Division

Greg, amtrack5899......

I found the thread fron 2017 when we discussued York and the Civil War.....bottom line, though part of Early's Division encamped on the the York Fairgrounds, it is NOT THE SAME ONE......at that time, the fairgrounds were east of downtown.....

Peter

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...nds-a-civil-war-site

Last edited by Putnam Division

Thanks Peter,  nice civil war thread.  I have not been to Gettysburg since about 1975 with the boy scouts.  I am not an avid civil war buff and what I have learned has pretty much been from the American history Channel but I do find it interesting. In my youth I was at many of the battlefields with my parents.

Based on these threads there seems to be considerable interest in the York/Civil War connection. Maybe  with a little planning we could have a get together with a presentation about this subject at a future show.

This might be a subject for a new thread.

My "Traincation" is already partially in progress.

We took advantage of the great weather and loaded up the trailer yesterday.  Tomorrow we head out to Gettysburg so we can hit the bandit meets first thing Wednesday morning.  After the bandit meets we are planning to head out to visit Nicholas Smith Trains and Henning's Trains.  Thursday will be a quick breakfast at Round the Clock Diner and then off to Blue Hall to set up before the opening bell.  The excitement is almost palpable.

Andy

My "Traincation" is already partially in progress.

We took advantage of the great weather and loaded up the trailer yesterday.  Tomorrow we head out to Gettysburg so we can hit the bandit meets first thing Wednesday morning.  After the bandit meets we are planning to head out to visit Nicholas Smith Trains and Henning's Trains.  Thursday will be a quick breakfast at Round the Clock Diner and then off to Blue Hall to set up before the opening bell.  The excitement is almost palpable.

Andy

I hear you Andy.  I have only 1 thing on my to buy list.  Other than that this is strictly Traincation.  I could care less if I buy anything I'm ready for some decompressing.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.