Skip to main content

One thing @MartyE, that is a good spot to be in. Of course whenever I had a near zero list, that would just open my eyes to other good things, maybe to buy or not to buy, sort of depended on if I thought it was good fit for me. I do know that I learned much from my first York, my list went partially out the window because the chances of finding what was on there were slim to none. That is however how things seem to work. But, I will say this, having that happen opens the possibility of finding gems if you really look for them.

Greg, amtrack5899......

I found the thread fron 2017 when we discussued York and the Civil War.....bottom line, though part of Early's Division encamped on the the York Fairgrounds, it is NOT THE SAME ONE......at that time, the fairgrounds were east of downtown.....

Peter

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...nds-a-civil-war-site

I remember that thread! I'm by no means an expert on the Civil War - really more of a novice.  The bulk of my efforts have been in going through some battlefields my ancestor fought at and tracking the movements of his unit - the PA 27th Infantry - at each battle.  Gettysburg has 3 markers - one near the college - for where his unit fought.

One of the neater, off the beaten path, sites is the Grand Army of the Republic Hall on Middle Street (I park in the back off Legion alley - there's a small lot).  The building was originally a Methodist church and during the battle served as a hospital like many other churches.   In the back is a small cemetery where some Civil War and Revolutionary War veterans are buried.   The hall was restored about 40 years ago by the Historical Society of Gettysburg - one of the more interesting lesser known tours they run is one of local Underground Railroad sites.  I believe they run weekly on Saturday mornings.  It departs from McAllister’s Mill, adjacent to the National Military Park on Baltimore Pike.

-Greg

I have actually come home a few times with no purchases.   I've also come home a few times thousands of dollars poorer!

Ain't that the truth!!  Typically, when I go looking for specific items I come home with more money than when I go with nothing really of note on my shopping list.   Since I'm going to this York with nothing of note on my list I'm probably going to find a bunch of stuff to set me back my entire budget.   I see at least one trip to the Santander Bank branch right next to the fairgrounds.

-Greg

Less than 1 Day until opening bell!

Here's the latest weather...

Chance of rain zero.  Chance of trains 100%

Safe Travels everyone!  Last weather update!

Peter and gang have a great breakfast.  Dave and the DCS Gang have great meeting!

Everyone have a great time and stay safe!

THU 4/28

57° /33°
Mostly sunny and windy
0%

FRI 4/29

64° /31°
Sunny and warmer
0%

SAT 4/30

63° /40°
Cool with plenty of sun
0%

Harry Henning posted on Facebook that he will be in the front of orange hall at high noon on Friday for a small meet and greet get together. Not sure if it was posted here, just an opportunity for the OGR folks to put a name with a face in person.
Can’t wait to head out tomorrow early am for the promised land. While I did have breakfast last October at Round the Clock, we are having breakfast at the Manchester Diner on Carlisle Ave which was a McD’s many years. We used to go there each morning but have not been there in almost 3 years for obvious reasons.

Everyone have a safe trip to York and I am sure I will see many folks emptying their wallets! Lol!

Going for the first time tomorrow.  Been wanting to go for years, but my day job always had a conflict.  Scheduled time off for this 6 months ago.  All I’ve heard today at work is complaining that I’m off for the next two days.

It will also be the first time for my son who is joining me on the trip.

Hope to meet some of you while wandering around and getting lost.

@jstraw124 posted:

Going for the first time tomorrow.  Been wanting to go for years, but my day job always had a conflict.  Scheduled time off for this 6 months ago.  All I’ve heard today at work is complaining that I’m off for the next two days.

It will also be the first time for my son who is joining me on the trip.

Hope to meet some of you while wandering around and getting lost.

Congrats!  That's what vacation days are for.

It's funny, but when I used to take time off for York (scheduled as far in advance as possible), nobody ever complained about me being gone. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.