Skip to main content

I have been servicing some 41 switchers for a friend. One would not run, the E unit would cycle but the motor would run.  Disassembled the motor and checked the brushes, armature and field coil.  The coil had no electrical continuity.  Ordered a replacement 41-28 field.  It is a reproduction and slightly different than the original.  The coil lead wires on the original are both one the left side of the coil (looking back from the switcher cab), the reproduction field  has one wire lead on each side of the coil.  I installed the new coil in the switcher, installed new brushes, cleaned and lubricated the gears, made sure the upper ball bearing was in place, cleaned and checked the armature for continuity, rebuilt the E-unit, put everything back together and the motor will not run.  I even took the E-unit out and connected the motor direct. Still did not run.  I happened to find a cheap donor 41 switcher and pulled the field coil out of it and installed it to replace the reproduction coil.  Now the switcher runs just fine.  So my question is "what is the issue with the reproduction field coil".  Is it bad.  Did I wire it into the circuit incorrectly? I think if it is bad that I can get at least a credit from the seller. Curious if others with more experience and smarts than I have encountered a similar issue.  Thanks!

Original Post

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.