Skip to main content

Hot Water,

I got a 3rd Rail version of the 4449 in Daylight colors. I want to "correct" some of the colors so it looks more like it's in service, and not sitting in a museum somewhere. I have several pictures from different online sources.

3rd Rail has the ladders under the cab, on the rear of the tender, and the handrails on top of the tender front and rear.... all silver. I don't see any pictures of the 4449 like that. Everything I see, all those are black, to blend in to those areas of the engine/tender.

The handrail on the front of the boiler (right under the headlights) is silver....but it looks black to me in all the pictures.

3rd Rail also painted the engine wheels with white walls, but not the tender. I have seen the white walls on the Freedom Train, but was the tender "white walled" too? I think I'm going to scrape off the white walls anyway, they come off very easily with a fingernail. 

Off the top of your head, do you remember how big of a spacer you used on the tender to install the Kadee? No biggie if you don't, just trying to save some time of trial and error for the correct height. 

Last edited by Former Member
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

These are some crappy pix I just shot real quick so you can see what I'm referring to..not that you need reference to the 4449!

IMG_0986

Ladder on the tender looks like it normally gets painted to match the color strips on the body...orange to orange...red to red etc ect...... NOT all silver like this

IMG_0988

White walls on pilot truck and drivers, but not trailing truck????

IMG_0989

I've seen silver handrails going to the cab with black ladders, but not all silver like this.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_0986
  • IMG_0988
  • IMG_0989

It almost looks like this pic is photo shopped but all the handrails and ladders just seem to blend in... not stick out like a sore thumb.

4449_TR_2_0001

This pic is far away, but it looks like even the handrail running along the to of the boiler blends in as black.....should it be silver?

SP 4449

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 4449_TR_2_0001
  • SP 4449

Hi Hot Water,

Honestly, this reply isn't in reference to this topic. I'm actually trying to find more photos of your Central Connecting Railroad which I've recently discovered in Great Layout Adventures 8, and really admire the balance you've achieved. After viewing the DVD multiple times along with the article in OGR, plus studying the few photos I've located on the web, it's inspired me to rethink the planning of my RR. I only wish I had a little more space to work with. I've always wanted to have an engine facility with a turntable and roundhouse. With a little tweaking, yours looks like it could work for me. I like the balance of realism, scenery and activity with an interesting track plan, without being overcrowded with a lot of track. I really enjoyed your approach to creating a story to justify running almost anything you like.

By any chance would have other photos that you'd be willing to share?

Thank you,

Joe Kunka (ironman1)
jmkunka@optonline.net

Thanks for the reply. I believe some of the photos that I located were taken by gnnpnut, and he does take nice photos. As a matter of fact, the first photos I saw of your layout were on ebay of a nicely weathered Lionel B&O EM-1. That's what started my search for more reference of your layout, which prompted me to buy the DVD. I'll try to reach out to him.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of more questions. Do you do the weathering on the locomotives and rolling stock in the photos? I'm curious to the origin of the structure between the roundhouse and water tower, in the photo I've attached.

Thank you,

Joe Kunka

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DwightsY6locopic3
Originally Posted by ironman1:

If you don't mind, I have a couple of more questions. Do you do the weathering on the locomotives and rolling stock in the photos?

No, I do not do my own custom painting/weathering. I have a good friend who does my custom work, ever since I was modeling in HO, back in the early 1970s. My buddy Gene, is a fantastic scratch builder, custom modeler, painter, and weatherer, and his skills with steam locomotives is without a doubt one of the best in the country, in my opinion. With my 50= years of working on real steam locomotives  (I know what gets dirty, were, and WHY it gets dirty), and Gene's ability to look at photos and grasp what has gone on in the scene, he weathers my stuff the way I want it, and how the prototype looked.

Gene has been weathering my stuff, i.e. motive power, rolling stock, and buildings for about 42 years now.

I'm curious to the origin of the structure between the roundhouse and water tower, in the photo I've attached.

That is a scratch built power house by my buddy Gene, from left-over parts from the Korber roundhouse kits. I gave him a piece of cardboard cut to the size of the space available, and told him to "Make a power house." You see the fantastic results.

Thank you,

Joe Kunka

Thanks again!

I agree, Gene is a master. I did recognize the family resemblance between the roundhouse and power house building. I first went to the Korber website to see if it was one of their kits. I didn't find it, which left me scratching my head.

I have reached out to Jerry (gnnpnut). I hope he replies.

Take care,

Joe

Originally Posted by ironlake2:

Lionels engine was number 4436 and was painted just like that number when it was brand newl  In color photos of 4436 when new the ladders were silver and other colors on the lionel daylight scheme are correct.  The tender lettering on the engine when new was the small lettering in the upper color band also.

You are referring to the "builder's photo/photos". The Southern Pacific did NOT operate their steam locomotives in regular service looking like that.

Originally Posted by Norton:

Interesting pics Chris. Never thought about the panels being in sections.

so Hot how long does it take to remove those panels for service. First those below the running board and then those above?

Pete

Those "panels" as you call them, are ONLY removed for major repairs, or as in this case, her FRA mandated 15 year boiler inspection. Normally, it takes many days of volunteer labor to remove all that stuff.

I used Floquil paints, but had to mix my own to get a close match. The orange was pretty darn close, but the red..... well I got it close. Once I sprayed it with dull-cote, it looks good enough for me. I really want to do some light weathering, just don't have the b*lls to do it.

Has anyone been able to find pictures of these engines when they were on the SP roster than shows ladders that matched the sides? I have quite a few books and videos plus what can be found on the web and have yet to see matching ladders. Most all are painted  black. It would be good to have a builders photo to see if maybe they were delivered that way but most of the 3rd Rail engines are in the post war paint scheme anyway. 

Pete

I have a book called DAYLIGHT REFLECTIONS VOL1 and there are picture in there that have black ladders and matching.ladders on the side of the tender. Believe me, I wouldnt have went to all that trouble to color match and hand paint those ladders if they were allblack.

This book even shows MT-4s with matching Daylight ladders on the rear of those tenders.
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.