Skip to main content

Since I am in the early stages of understanding PS2 engines, I was trying to figure out if my engines use 3 or 5 volt boards.  I see where "older" boards are 5 volt.  What is "older" i.e. what YEAR is the demarcation?  So I can find my two engines as having been introduced in the 2002 and 2005 catalogs.  A wealth of info in Appendix B of Barry's book, that leads me to believe it's a 5 volt board, i.e. it has an 8.4 volt battery as indicated in my engine's manual. And it appears that presence of an 8.4 volt battery indicates a 5 volt board.  Correct?  So next, I go to protosound2.com, and look up my PS2 engines, and all the icons are grayed out.  Does that mean I can't replace the sound files with alternates? Or just that there are no "alternate" files available? I want to replace the passenger sounds with freight.    I can certainly find "other" engines with sound files that I might be able to use, (assuming 5 volt files), but how do I verify that a sound file I"m downloading is a 5 volt compatible file?    Third question,  I've found a number of other engines in the database that don't have the YARD SOUNDS grayed out, but there is no hyperlink, so clicking on them does nothing.  For the record, my engines are the 30-2469-1 and the 30-2266-1.

I know all about the loader program and that process, I'm just trying to understand how to find compatible files.

Original Post

Gary,

that leads me to believe it's a 5 volt board, i.e. it has an 8.4 volt battery as indicated in my engine's manual. And it appears that presence of an 8.4 volt battery indicates a 5 volt board.  Correct?

Yes, that's correct.

I go to protosound2.com, and look up my PS2 engines, and all the icons are grayed out.  Does that mean I can't replace the sound files with alternates? Or just that there are no "alternate" files available?

Your first engine does have its sound file icons grayed out, meaning that the sound file for that particular engine is not available for download. However, your FP40H sound file is available for download. Just right-click on the icon.

I can certainly find "other" engines with sound files that I might be able to use, (assuming 5 volt files), but how do I verify that a sound file I"m downloading is a 5 volt compatible file?

Just use a sound file for any 5 volt diesel engine. One way to tell if the engine is a 5 volt or not is to look at the instruction manual that's posted on teh web site. If it speaks to teh engine having an 8.4 volt battery, it's a 5 volt board.

I've found a number of other engines in the database that don't have the YARD SOUNDS grayed out, but there is no hyperlink, so clicking on them does nothing.

The hyperlink is the icon for the sound file.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.