Skip to main content

@John H posted:

The tiles are 9/16" thick, and also come in 2' by 4' sections. I worried about seams at first, but scenery took tare of them. They also are louder if installed with the back on top, as I found out later on a few I put down that way.

Thanks, I am going to try some of those when I start rebuilding my layout. When we moved, I saved some sections that still have 1/2" homosote on them. So, the 9/16" tiles will match up easily. That homosote, ontop of plywood, made for some heavy, expensive moving. However, with the cost of lumber going sky high, I figured it would be worth the moving cost. I thinK I have about 8, 30" wide sections, stored in the basement. That will give me a good head start.

Jeff

I used Homasote when I lived in NYC.  I'm in New Orleans now and homasote is scarce and expensive here... so, I used Sound Board which is dirt cheap here.  It's made from sugar cane (after the sugar is extracted) instead of used paper (wood pulp) for homasote.  They share the same texture, sound dampening, and ease of use properties.  I've tried foam... but, prefer homasote/sound board.

I used Homasote when I lived in NYC.  I'm in New Orleans now and homasote is scarce and expensive here... so, I used Sound Board which is dirt cheap here.  It's made from sugar cane (after the sugar is extracted) instead of used paper (wood pulp) for homasote.  They share the same texture, sound dampening, and ease of use properties.  I've tried foam... but, prefer homasote/sound board.

Do you have a link to that stuff.  I am only finding wood fiber sound board.

Thanks,

John

Since Homasote is primarily a paper product, gluing it to your plywood layer will make it next to impossible to recover should your circumstances change.  Using just a few screws along the edges of your plywood/Homasote layers will hold everything well enough together for model railroad purposes.

Oh, try not to put those screws where you plan to put track.  The buried screw is always the one that needs attending when issues arise.

Chuck

@PRR1950 posted:

Since Homasote is primarily a paper product, gluing it to your plywood layer will make it next to impossible to recover should your circumstances change.  Using just a few screws along the edges of your plywood/Homasote layers will hold everything well enough together for model railroad purposes.

Oh, try not to put those screws where you plan to put track.  The buried screw is always the one that needs attending when issues arise.

Chuck

Chuck, Thanks for that info.  Duly noted- a few screws (strategically placed) seems the way to go.

Stuart

I read your post wrong. I do use glue to hold the Homasote to the plywood. I just spread some "streams" of wood glue back and forth across the plywood, then lay the Homasote on it and weigh it down with bound volumes of train magazines until it dries. I usually put a few screws around the edges to make sure it stays down tight when the glue dries.

With small streams of glue, the Homasote stays down well, but it can still be pulled loose if you ever need to remove it. do not paint/spread a layer of glue on the plywood, or, your Homasote is pretty well down for good and pulling it loose is not possible.

Jeff

@mowingman posted:

I read your post wrong. I do use glue to hold the Homasote to the plywood. I just spread some "streams" of wood glue back and forth across the plywood, then lay the Homasote on it and weigh it down with bound volumes of train magazines until it dries. I usually put a few screws around the edges to make sure it stays down tight when the glue dries.

With small streams of glue, the Homasote stays down well, but it can still be pulled loose if you ever need to remove it. do not paint/spread a layer of glue on the plywood, or, your Homasote is pretty well down for good and pulling it loose is not possible.

Jeff

Sounds like a good plan, Jeff.  Thank you!  Stuart

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.