Skip to main content

I have several sets of the Atlas 53' well cars and containers. They're fantastic models but there are several additional paint schemes/ companies I'd love to have containers for. Feel free to add any others you'd like to see so that hopefully Atlas can offer them in a future run.

JB Hunt

Amazon Prime

FedEx

Walmart

Schneider

UPS

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'll agree with your list, Will, as I would like to see these names on their 53' containers.

However in speaking with the AtlasO team at York back in April, I brought this topic up with them, as I have a number of their 53' well cars, too. They informed me that it is a "licensing issue" that prevents them from issuing the JB Hunt version. So, I have to believe that a "licensing issue" may possibly be preventing them from producing the other container names on your list. As I stated to them at York, it's in my opinion, that if they came out with JB Hunt 53' containers in 16 road numbers (not their usual 8), they would still sell out very quickly.

@CSX Jim posted:

I'll agree with your list, Will, as I would like to see these names on their 53' containers.

However in speaking with the AtlasO team at York back in April, I brought this topic up with them, as I have a number of their 53' well cars, too. They informed me that it is a "licensing issue" that prevents them from issuing the JB Hunt version. So, I have to believe that a "licensing issue" may possibly be preventing them from producing the other container names on your list. As I stated to them at York, it's in my opinion, that if they came out with JB Hunt 53' containers in 16 road numbers (not their usual 8), they would still sell out very quickly.

Scaletrains has done them so I'm curious how that worked. I'd pay more for the models up cover licensing fees if needed.

@Will Ebbert posted:

I have several sets of the Atlas 53' well cars and containers. They're fantastic models but there are several additional paint schemes/ companies I'd love to have containers for. Feel free to add any others you'd like to see so that hopefully Atlas can offer them in a future run.

Schneider

Already done:

IMG_20170903_221137

And a JB Hunt tractor by K-Line:

JB_Hunt_semi_tractor[1]

EDIT: I am not sure who did the Schneider box, btw. It is now packed away somewhere.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_20170903_221137
  • JB_Hunt_semi_tractor[1]
Last edited by PRRMP54

There's a CSX intermodal facility in my town that opened around 2007. They only transport 53' containers.  The primary containers I see in order of most to least are Schneider, CSX, Pacer Stacktrain, Umax, Amazon Prime, and Walmart. I don't own any well cars for 53' containers, but I'd like to see some for 48' well cars.

There's a newer Norfolk Southern intermodal facility the next town over and I see mostly JB Hunt, Hub Group, & EMP, on those trains. Not sure if they deal with anything smaller than 53' containers as I don't get out that way much.

Does anyone have a list of all the domestic containers currently produced by Atlas?

Last edited by Stinky1
@Stinky1 posted:

There's a CSX intermodal facility in my town that opened around 2007. They only transport 53' containers.  The primary containers I see in order of most to least are Schneider, CSX, Pacer Stacktrain, Umax, Amazon Prime, and Walmart. I don't own any well cars for 53' containers, but I'd like to see some for 48' well cars.

There's a newer Norfolk Southern intermodal facility the next town over and I see mostly JB Hunt, Hub Group, & EMP, on those trains. Not sure if they deal with anything smaller than 53' containers as I don't get out that way much.

Does anyone have a list of all the domestic containers currently produced by Atlas?

https://archive.atlasrr.com/ORS/arc-o53container.htm

I've been begging for 53' JB Hunt containers for years. I mention it every time I see Atlas at York. I understand that licensing costs time and money, but we've seen Lionel and K-Line produce JB Hunt items in the past, so it certainly can be done.

These are all very good suggestions though. And I think Atlas would see it as great business, considering when Atlas delivers these modern intermodal items, they sell fast!

- Jason

@jdstucks posted:

I've been begging for 53' JB Hunt containers for years. I mention it every time I see Atlas at York. I understand that licensing costs time and money, but we've seen Lionel and K-Line produce JB Hunt items in the past, so it certainly can be done.

These are all very good suggestions though. And I think Atlas would see it as great business, considering when Atlas delivers these modern intermodal items, they sell fast!

- Jason

Agree.  I used @Steven Michael's idea but used a new Swift 53' container, removed some of the logo's with Testor's ELO, and replaced with some JB Hunt decals from Highball Graphics.  Not cost effective, but maybe with enough of these examples Atlas will see there is a market for these.  IMG_8889IMG_8890

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_8889
  • IMG_8890
@VADarthDad posted:

Agree.  I used @Steven Michael's idea but used a new Swift 53' container, removed some of the logo's with Testor's ELO, and replaced with some JB Hunt decals from Highball Graphics.  Not cost effective, but maybe with enough of these examples Atlas will see there is a market for these.  IMG_8889IMG_8890

Looking good there. How did it go with the ELO? I initially tried this technique using 91% alcohol with limited success, but it took a long time and I wasn’t getting consistent results, so I ended up sanding down the logo and then repainting.

If I can get the right decals, I have a pair of these swift containers on which I’d like to replace the shield logo with the older logo. Neat to see something done with one.

I can firmly say I’d happily pay an extra 5-10 dollars per container for the road name if it’s just a licensing issue. It sure beats the time and money you put into making them on your own.

@EMD posted:

Atlas is overdue to produce trailer frames for the many 53' and 40' containers they have produced

We desperately, DESPERATELY need better 53/57 foot intermodal equipment in O scale. We waited so many years to get the containers and wells, but there’s so much more still missing. 57 foot spine cars are at the top of my list. And so many varieties of trailers can be made to go with them, and don’t forget 53’ chassis for the containers. As far as I know, the only 53’ trailers ever made in 1:48 are the old Bowser roadrailers. And good luck finding them, not to mention that they are really no longer a “modern” prototype.

You always hear the reasoning “57’ spines look the same as 48’ spines”. “53’ trailers look the same as 48’ trailers”. “They’re too similar, they won’t sell!”. But look at the 53’ stuff Atlas made so far. K-Line and MTH both made plenty of 40 and 48 foot Gunderson equipment... but we’re now almost a decade into 53’ equipment from Atlas, and it’s STILL flying off the shelves every single release. I just don’t buy into the fear mentality anymore. It is crystal clear that people want this stuff. Make a high detail model of a common modern prototype that can be seen on just about every mainline in America, and so long as it hasn’t been made before, people are guaranteed to eat it up. And if this all wasn’t true, we wouldn’t all be chatting on this thread right now!

Every single one of us that’s spent any amount of time next to a mainline has seen what’s pictured here. Let us put it in our basements already!

Last edited by OGR CEO-PUBLISHER

Looking good there. How did it go with the ELO? I initially tried this technique using 91% alcohol with limited success, but it took a long time and I wasn’t getting consistent results, so I ended up sanding down the logo and then repainting.

If I can get the right decals, I have a pair of these swift containers on which I’d like to replace the shield logo with the older logo. Neat to see something done with one.

I can firmly say I’d happily pay an extra 5-10 dollars per container for the road name if it’s just a licensing issue. It sure beats the time and money you put into making them on your own.

I was AMAZED at how well ELO worked on this.  I literally dipped the tip of a q-tip in the ELO and then started rubbing.  I tried it on the SWFT # on the top and it took about 30 seconds.  HOWEVER, I learned in the process if I let the ELO soak on the dark/paint (lettering/logos) for like 30 seconds, it comes off almost instantly with just a q-tip, and didn't do any damage, IMO, to the paint underneath.  The big Swift logo came off just as easy.  I did use a white lint free cloth with some additional ELO to wipe off some of the residue that you could see faintly after the initial q-tip removal process.  I then lightly washed with some dawn detergent.  But no re-painting was needed AT ALL.  And this was like the 2nd time EVER that I have tried to re-decal something.     

@VADarthDad posted:

I was AMAZED at how well ELO worked on this.  I literally dipped the tip of a q-tip in the ELO and then started rubbing.  I tried it on the SWFT # on the top and it took about 30 seconds.  HOWEVER, I learned in the process if I let the ELO soak on the dark/paint (lettering/logos) for like 30 seconds, it comes off almost instantly with just a q-tip, and didn't do any damage, IMO, to the paint underneath.  The big Swift logo came off just as easy.  I did use a white lint free cloth with some additional ELO to wipe off some of the residue that you could see faintly after the initial q-tip removal process.  I then lightly washed with some dawn detergent.  But no re-painting was needed AT ALL.  And this was like the 2nd time EVER that I have tried to re-decal something.     

Good to know! I’ll definitely give this a shot when I get the the Swift containers

Does anybody know why JB Hunt is so difficult? I understand why corporations like Amazon and Walmart are tough, but JB Hunt is basically just intermodal and logistics. Are they a subsidiary of a larger company?

I know Menards makes a Fedex Building, does that mean it would be easier to get Fedex containers from Atlas or is that a special deal with Menards?

not to get way down in the weeds here on prototype accuracy, considering how popular these containers are for these roadnames, JB Hunt, Amazon Prime, and Walmart in particular especially in smaller scales, perhaps the ask would be for Atlas to consider the licensing fees if applicable and if necessary, consider tooling correct containers, otherwise, I have seen plenty of CIMC 53' containers with these roadnames that Atlas does have already tooled.  The JINDO version as you stated, not exactly correct.   Seems like the recent release again of Maxi-IV and related containers are just blowing off the shelves.   The points earlier in the thread about the popularity of modern intermodal should support additional investment if nothing more than new schemes on existing product.  IMO, Rather see some spine cars and 53' trailers and skeletons.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.