Skip to main content

Hey everyone,

About two years ago, I was running my J3A and accidentally added too much smoke fluid. It spewed out and burnt out the smoke unit. I did not think to look inside as the engine ran fine afterward, aside from no smoke. However, I decided to open the engine up recently to see what I needed to replace it. And I guess some hot fluid from that incident got onto the board and burned part of it, as you can see in the pictures. Lionel does not sell replacement boards for these nowadays. I was wondering what my options were for fixing this. The engine runs fine still. But I am worried that I will cause more damage to the board if I keep running it. Any ideas or feedback would be great.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_1394
  • IMG_1395
  • IMG_1393
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It blew the smoke triac. Unless you somehow- beyond the fact most all smoke fluids are non-conductive- in and of itself smoke fluid was not the cause.

You somehow shorted the resistor or wiring to frame ground.

I would find and fix the short before replacing anything.

Then, that R2LC can be repaired at the component level or could b replaced by another R2LC or R4LC and just programmed for the correct type code when setting the ID.

Again, R2LC TRIAC outputs are often replaceable.

@PaperTRW posted:

It's been awhile since I've ordered replacement triacs for repairing LCRU, R2LC and R4LC boards, and the parts I've ordered previously are now deemed obsolete.

Does anyone know suitable replacements, preferably from Digikey, for the smaller MAC97 TO92 lighting and coupler outputs for these boards?

Also, what's the right replacement for the larger smoke unit triac? I've seen recommendations for the 2N6071A, 2N6075AG and 2N6075BG, but am unsure if one is better than another.

Many thanks-

TRW

Also in that topic https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...73#70974704561309173

It blew the smoke triac. Unless you somehow- beyond the fact most all smoke fluids are non-conductive- in and of itself smoke fluid was not the cause.

You somehow shorted the resistor or wiring to frame ground.

I would find and fix the short before replacing anything.

Then, that R2LC can be repaired at the component level or could b replaced by another R2LC or R4LC and just programmed for the correct type code when setting the ID.

Again, R2LC TRIAC outputs are often replaceable.

Also in that topic https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...73#70974704561309173

Wow I did not think about the board going bad. That makes sense now. How would I go about finding the short?

This came up once before. Another member had the resistor burn through the fiberglass insulation that's wrapped around the whole length, and short out where passes through the metal puffer bowl.

With no fan, these old units get rather toasty at command voltage.

I have one of these and rebuilt the puffer, tried it out and then shut the switch off.

I'll run smoke when I have it upgraded to a fan unit some time in the future

Last edited by RickO

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.