Skip to main content

I have this Lionel 8111 and the motor jerks to get started and  in reverse. It seems like the motor is energized, but it doesn’t wanna turn like it’s binds up. When you shift to reverse the motor does rise up and I don’t know if that’s what the problem is and I don’t know if I’m missing a piece. Any ideas?IMG_4834IMG_4832

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_4834
  • IMG_4832
Videos (1)
IMG_4835
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not an expert in Pullmor motors, but I had a very similar issue with one of mine. There's a little set screw (like 0.050" hex or so) in the brushplate on the end of the armature that you can use to tune the distance that the armature can "climb" when it changes direction. I would suggest turning that set screw down a little bit so that the armature doesn't climb out of position. I also replaced the motor brushes in my Pullmor and lubricated thoroughly (including a drop of oil on the backside of that set screw) which greatly improved performance.

^^Ken and ^^Frank nailed it.  The only thing I would add, is to make sure all old hardened grease is removed from the "sump."  Then relubricate with a fresh teflon grease.  As long as the worm wheel in the truck isn't chewed up you should be able to restore smooth operation in both directions.

Your brushplate is black so it's difficult to see in your photos.  The "bump" that sticks up exactly halfway between the brush wells is meant to hold a tiny, fine-threaded Allen screw (part number referenced above.)  And the purpose of that screw is to limit vertical thrust play of the armature.

Your armature does seem to have some extra movement.  I had a MPC 8361 Alco with the same drivetrain as your DT&I that I got when I was 6 years old.  It had a million miles on it and the spur gears in the truck were worn to the point of almost falling off their studs.  It still ran smoothly in both directions, so I don't think that's the problem.  Could you swap in another armature and brushplate to test?  Worst case, you should be able to find another MPC power truck with AAR type A side frames for small money on eBay.

Last edited by Ted S

Hm.  I'm sure you could get the later brushplate from any major Lionel parts vendor.  The ones I've seen are usually white nylon.  You could also remove the one you have and drill it out from the inside to take the screw.  Others on here could probably tell you what size the body drill would have to be, to achieve a snug "factory" fit.

Before doing any of that, I would temporarily swap in another armature and brushplate to rule out any issues with the gears in the truck.  My $.02.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.