Skip to main content

Hey Guys,

I bought this little 6 VDC motor online to run a small device I am building for my layout:  Uxcell DC 6V 5RPM High Torque Rotary Speed Cylinder Shape Deceleration.

I received it, and want to buy a plug-in-the wall dc transformer to power it.

But the specs in the motor description, and the motor itself, do not have any information about the amps that this motor can take.

Do amps not matter when you power a motor with DC?   I don't want to fry it.    There is a picture showing 4  AA batteries hooked to the motor, but I have looked at sever AA batteries, and they don't list amps on them, just 1.5 DC volts each.

Thanks for all advice.

Mannyrock

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is not how many amps the motor can "take." It is how many amps the motor will "draw."

A DC motor will only use the number of amps it needs to run, no matter what it is connected to. You could connect this motor to a 6-volt car battery capable of delivering 1,000 amps, but the motor will only draw what it needs.

If it is intended to be powered from four AA batteries, the current draw is very small - much less than an amp. Any small 6-volt power supply will work.

Last edited by Rich Melvin

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.