Skip to main content

One of my very first projects when I re-entered the hobby in the Fall of 2021 was to restore, including rewiring, my 671.  It works perfectly.  Eighteen months later I've gained a lot of experience in restoring and rewiring postwar Lionel stuff, and I think my work now is pretty good.  Since it's so stinking hot in Houston right now, I'm staying inside for most of the afternoon.  I have a clear workbench right now so I pulled out the 671.  While it's functional, the rewiring is definitely a C- for many reasons.  I looked into more authentic wires for that unit and found them on wire-plex.com.  I recall that some of the original wires had different colored cloth wrapping.  I looked into that, and the only picture I could find was this one here.  The link to the entire thread that picture is in is here.

Does anyone have a better picture, or diagram, showing the colors of the wire wrap on the 671?  I know it doesn't matter, but I would like to restore it as close to the original as I can.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@ADCX Rob,

After repairing the e-unit, I put the stuff back together using your picture (unfortunately I had accidentally deleted the picture I took of the original wiring).  Two questions, the #1 and #3 yellow wires connect to the posts on the back of the motor with the springs and brushes, correct (1 to each)?  Then, the #2 wire connects to an engine ground point, right?  On some of the 671 models I saw on youtube, there seems to be a connector in the center of the motor (between the 2 hot connections) to connect a ground.  There is none on mine, but there is a wire soldered onto a plate on the side of the motor that I think is a ground.

Sorry to have to call on you again.  Perhaps I messed up in the e-unit wiring, but I don't think so.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.