Skip to main content

Like many on the forum, I am building my first layout since childhood. I have spent a lot of time on this forum and YouTube getting ideas. I have an oversized one car garage with an 8' x 20' space for my layout. Have 2 engines and a bunch of cars to start with. I am running conventional. Would like to have a layout w 4 running trains. At least 2 levels. A lot of terrain/mountains. Not looking for a lot of switching action, but plan four several spurs/sidings for each line. Facing the layout, I have walls to the left and back of the table. Considering grades, but sure. Plan to build entire layout on casters so it can be moved to gain access to all areas during construction. 

I think I'm expecting too much for the space I have, but I want lots of tunnels and bridges/industrial area and small town/maybe a river/ and some kind of rail yard. I've been told to keep it simple. I'm probably over thinking it. I want a to be surrounded by the layout, but feel like my 8' depth isn't enough to rap around me comfortably. I'm considering a 2' to 3' opening down the middle leaving me about 3' of table on all sides for the track plan. Not sure if this is realistic. I am using AnyRail 5.0 to design my track plan and plan to use Gargraves track and Ross switches.

Would greatly appreciate any ideas you guys have to offer.

Scott

Last edited by LPTtrainTrucker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Biggest consideration would probably be whether you want a rectangular island layout or one that goes around the perimeter of the space.  The latter is usually more efficient with space, but in either case you need to plan around any doorways, passages, utility access and means of egress issues.  Solve those and then you can get into the nitty gritty.  Dealing properly with the site issues now can save lots of frustration and wasted work later.

-Mark

By egress, I mean how you need to get around the layout, room to walk around all the sides, having enough room to reach across all areas around the layout, and if necessary, if you have any duck-overs or hinged panels.

Grades and reverse loops are just a couple of neat things that you can incorporate.  A reverse loop adds a lot of operational variety, and fortunately for 3-rail, it is easy to wire up.  You can use a doubled back track or a wye, or both.

Grades can of course be incorporated but you will have to trade off the size of trains that you can pull, depending on the steepness of the grade.

Since you mention running multiple trains, consider having one (or more) elevated line, separate from the lower level.  That way you can have multiple trains running but not having to deal with grades at all.

-Mark

Similar space-may help orientation....attic over garage.

3' of benchwork[3' of "reach"] width on each side will work out just fine if you plan to use a "wrap-a-round" plan. You can get 084 with 072 inside it for your end curve arcs in 8' width, if wanted, and still leave over 5" o.c. track to wall/edge clearance. My curves are 084/096 and 072/084.

On my own 9x16 I have one side[Yard} that is 41" wide but can reach okay if standing on my toolbox. Attic ceiling pitch prevents me from having an efficient elevated track.

I use Gargraves Flex track and Ross turnouts. To avoid duckunder [I'm old]I enter the round-the-room via the hinged Drop Section.

Attic Layout 003

IMG_1636

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Attic Layout 003
  • IMG_1636
Last edited by Dewey Trogdon
Originally Posted by LPTtrainTrucker:

Mark,

I have no door, passage, or utility issues to worry about. What do you mean by egresses? Should I integrate grades and reverse loops into my layout? How important are theses?

I suspect you do have door and passage issues unless you have the world's first garage with no way in or out.  You must have at least a garage door at one end unless you've closed off the space, in which case you must have an access door into the garage (which you may also have even with a garage door).

A layout of the garage would be helpful showing all doors & windows, as well as potential obstructions like garage door rails.  All these things will come into play if you have a perimeter layout.

Ok guys. I put together a rough diagram of how my garage is setup and the possible size and placement of the table. I'm open to new ideas and changes.  I also included the AnyRail file that I drew the garage with if anyone has the program and wants to give me any ideas.  Thank you for all your help so far.  This is a great resource to have.

garage

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Garage Layout
Files (1)

Scott,

I like how you have the 3' wide access area in the middle of the board, will make working on and maintaining the layout much easier. Looks like 2 1/2 foot wide benchwork for the track all around.

As far as a layout design, a few questions:

1) How many trains do you want to run at the same time?

2) Do you want spurs for Industries?

3) What track type have you decided on? (Fastrack, Gargraves, Atlas, Scaletrax etc)

4) Do you want a switching yard or turntable?

Thanks for sharing, and most of all Have Fun!

Bruce

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.