Skip to main content

My kids and I just bought the Legacy control system @ the Train Show in Puyallup Washington.

Now I have tried everything I can possibly try to get this thing to work. I watched the video on reloading, went through all the things that Mike went through and nothing is working.

STILL...

BASE NOT FOUND

I am @ my wits end here..... HELP!

My track is not hooked to the remote or base as they are not talking yet.

BNSF

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Help Please !

I just purchased and received a Lionel Legacy Command Control System and was in the process of installing, and unfortunately upon charging it up and turning it on received an error message on the Cab 2 Control "Cannot Find Base".  

I am following up with Lionel directly, but expecting a response will take some significant time, and I have reviewed carefully the manual, but without success.  

The Cab 2 does indicates two options under the error message, "Scan Channels" and "Retry", which I have performed without success.  I also moved the Cab 2 into several positions, and plugged the unit into several outlets which I know are properly grounded, and I changed the "Base" channels trying different ones (1-9), rescanned, also without success.  It currently is on Channel 1 per the display.  

I also note the unit without being able to "talk" to the base, will not allow me to do any functions whatsoever.  

So…  if you have any ideas or suggestions, I would be most appreciative.  It has been a little disappointing and frustrating not being able to use as I had hoped.  Thank you.  
 Posted by Mike West
Without so much of upgrading can I get it to work or?
I realize that @ some point I will have to send it back....and how do I reg.it with Lionel?

all you have to do is contact lionel at

talktous@lionel.com

they will give you an RA (return authorization) number, then box it and send it back.  as of now lionel is not charging for legacy controller repairs.  don't know if the veteran free shipping is still in effect, but ask anyway.

do you have the modules sometimes you have to load the hand held with the correct module.  you still need to send it back as 1.0 can not be updated with out lionel changing the inside of the base.

Last edited by bigdodgetrain
Originally Posted by bigdodgetrain:

all you have to do is contact lionel at

talktous@lionel.com

they will give you an RA (return authorization) number box it and sent it back.  as of now lionel is not charging for legacy controller repairs.  don't know if the veteran free shipping is still in effect, but ask anyway.

do you have the modules sometimes you have to load the hand held with the correct module.  you still need to send it back as 1.0 can not be updated with out lionel changing the inside of the base.

Yes, I tried to redo the handset and base both after watching the upgrade video,

to no avail.

If you bought it from a private party I would take it back the the seller and tell  him to shove it and give you a refund, no reason there should be any 1.0 setups out there still.

If it was from a dealer and you have a receipt  ship it back, just because it is 1.0, does not mean that it wouldn't be able to find the base. Hopefully they will not get hung up if it wasn't a dealer, they have been good about backing them up

BTW you do have the base plugged in and power going to it. Also plug in the base and let  it fully cycle before turning on the Cab2. Also is the Base antennae installed?

Regardless of whether you can get it to work or not you'll want to send it to Lionel per bigdodgetrainman's instructions.

1.0 is the very first edition of the legacy system and has a few issues to be fixed by Lionel.

Dealer or not, I'm not surprised in the least you got a bum deal at a train show.

I would have waited for Lionel to ship the next batch, no matter how long it takes. At $350 you didn't save any money.

If the seller would take a return, I would return it and wait for the new one.

After research I noticed there are no factory batteries I had to supply my own AA's so now I'm beginning to wonder myself. First I was thinking I bought the last one now I'm thinking I bought used...

Never the less I have it boxed up and ready to ship to Lionel,

I think I am going to take it to the local Lionel repair shop in Kirkland @ Eastside Trains first and see what can do to it, and that way I don't have to do all the shipping.

Those people are so fantastic over there, I'm pretty sure with the receipt, Those people will handle everything!

Just can't say enough about John, Dustin and Brock {Dustin's apprentice}.

The licensed Lionel repair dept. is for a lack of better words spectaular!

Due noted!

It was a train show, The GTE, and I will avoid him for sure.

I really don't want to slander him as I have contacted him and he said if I want a refund he would do that, too. If there happens to be a charge he wants to know about it too.

I am in communication with him and he seems pretty sincere.

Someone was bound to get it, it just happened to be me.

If you would like to know who it is I will tell you, but as I stated before he is fully aware and doing anything he can to help me!

-Mike

Thats why I recommended you deal with Lionel direct. You would have likely already had the unit back the first week of December.

Lionel has made it very easy to send in warranty repairs through email contact. Responses are typically same or next day with an RA#

You didn't purchase the unit from Eastside Trains so it probably wasn't a priority for them to send it in, taking it to them merely added an extra step.

Last edited by RickO

I would get it back ASAP.  I had the same situation a few years back with an engine in for repair, they kept putting off shipping it to Lionel and eventually it disappeared from the store.

I did not buy it from this hobby shop, but they did refund me the full purchase price because they lost it on me.

Art 

Last edited by Art

Why would you expect someone else to foot the bill to ship it if you hadn't bought it from them in the first place? Just have to wonder.

I was just thinking that since I have spent a couple of thousand dollars there that they might help me out...Oh, and I happen to like the staff.
I'm just going to put this one under learning curve!
-Mike
Last edited by BNSF
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.