My latest layout (see OGR Run 304 – The NYT&B Railroad) is finished, and last week I was looking for a small project to keep me busy, so I built a baggage cart kit by Bar Mills Models that I had purchased when the layout was under construction.
The kit contained two small sheets of laser-cut parts and a set of instructions. It certainly looked simple enough. However, it presented a bit of a challenge due to some very small and fragile parts that were not that easy for me to work with or to see clearly.
First, I removed all the parts from the sheets, trimmed them where necessary, and then painted them with acrylic paints. I applied a mixture of alcohol and India ink to darken the wood planks on the baggage deck and then began to assemble the parts with yellow carpenter’s glue, breaking several spokes off the wheels and two stub axles in the process.
Eventually, I got the model put together.
I think it looks OK on the platform surrounding my station – if you don’t look too closely. It could also use some baggage, but I don’t have anything suitable right now.
While it was easy enough to build this kit in O scale, I don't think I would enjoy doing it in HO... Just another reason why I intend to remain in "O."