North Shore GP38 Project Update 3/21

Last year I bought a Weaver GP38-2 in D&H paint at a train show. I plan on turning this into NSHR 2017. Only recently have I finally made some progress on it.

Here are a few photos of what I have done so far (it's not much!). I will try and continue to post on this thread as I do more work.

IMG_0675

Paint stripped with Scalecoat Wash Away. There's still a little more on the walkway treads I have to work at. 

IMG_0685

Sight glass filled in with some carefully fitted styrene, as this unit is a straight GP38, not a -2. The iPhone camera makes those sanding scratches look a lot worse than they really are. They'll disappear as soon as the primer hits them.

IMG_0735

Sinclair antenna attached with a very thin and carefully applied layer of JB Weld epoxy. The hole at the old horn location is filled in with some putty.

Dynamic Brake Drawing

Here's a piece of replacement for the dynamic brake piece that I drew up in Inventor, to more closely match that of a B&O GP38. A friend agreed they'd 3D print it for me. The protruding "pi"-shaped piece won't be visible on the model, it just gives me something to use to attach the printed part to the existing portion of the dynamics.

Much to my surprise and pleasure, Lionel announced the pair of LVRR GP35Rs in the last catalog (these will be a bit of a project themselves), which will save me from having to put command control in this unit. I'll just install lights and an on/off switch for them so it can lead with the Lionel units shoving.

 

Long way to go on this project...

NSHR 2017 Roof

Photo by Michael Peschio

Attachments

Photos (5)
Original Post

Update 2/28/19. I now have all the plastic lift rings removed, and hand made replacements installed. I also did a few of the grab irons on the nose. 

The grunt work for this project is almost done, at least for the upper shell. Very much looking forward to working on the unit specific details that don’t require hours of bending and fitting brass.

60CEC2A2-CB3D-42FD-B015-02D6A2A8511F

(By the way, ignore those two extra holes on top the nose... oops! They will be filled in soon.)

Attachments

Photos (1)

3/6/19- Tonight’s efforts brought the replacement of molded in grab irons to near completion. It was really difficult removing the second and third rear grab irons from the top with them being wedged in along the marker light and number board. I took my time with the dremel and a flat xacto blade, and was able to pull it off with *almost* no damage to the surrounding features.

I’m going to adjust the shape of these rear grabs tomorrow, they’re all a little cockeyed right now.

AC69C265-D930-4CB9-8FB7-18BBF1F89705

Attachments

Photos (1)
Steven Michael posted:

3/6/19- Tonight’s efforts brought the replacement of molded in grab irons to near completion. It was really difficult removing the second and third rear grab irons from the top with them being wedged in along the marker light and number board. I took my time with the dremel and a flat xacto blade, and was able to pull it off with *almost* no damage to the surrounding features.

I’m going to adjust the shape of these rear grabs tomorrow, they’re all a little cockeyed right now.

AC69C265-D930-4CB9-8FB7-18BBF1F89705

Did you make the small lift eyelets.  Usually on more detailed models these are plastic. The metal ones, you pictured would be more durable.  Beautiful work, thanks for the pictures.    Mike CT. 

Yes I did mike! I put a .010 steel wire in our vise, and tightly wrapped .020 brass wire around it then cut the excess. It worked well and they came out nice and tight.

I’m tossing around making a jig for these grab irons to get them a little more consistent. Thinking something involving dropping a drill press on them to bend them precisely. We’ll see what I can do after work.

3/14/19-

Got the new dynamic brake blister printed (thanks Charlie!). I changed the design of it slightly since I originally shared the drawing on here, for the sake of making the printing process easier. Here are some pictures of in alone and after trimming/in test fit. I haven’t glued anything yet, but as soon as I smooth over the print lines it will be ready for it.

One question while I’m at it- has anyone ever soldered together a Cal-Scale horn like this one? I used epoxy originally and it just didn’t hold, and I don’t trust CA glue! I was thinking about drilling the holes all the way through the bottom of the manifold and applying the solder from the bottom. 

9904E0B5-775F-4E60-98F4-1175CC61D4F2CBF186B4-75CF-4336-BE13-D124732ACE70C51EB95B-B5F8-4777-B170-DBC547AFBC3B97D19CA0-A2F1-4FA5-AC1A-9DF03FB3ADC72B511028-59CD-46C2-9054-EEE1F94BA1D1

Attachments

Photos (5)
One question while I’m at it- has anyone ever soldered together a Cal-Scale horn like this one? I used epoxy originally
and it just didn’t hold, and I don’t trust CA glue! I was thinking about drilling the holes all the way through the
bottom of the manifold and applying the solder from the bottom.

What epoxy did you use for the BRass? You should have used JB weld and that should have held the metal to the metal

member:Golden Spike Club Charter Member

3/21/19- Dynamic brake blister has been sanded/puttied, and is now installed on the rest of the dynamic brake assembly. I will be permanently attaching the assembly to the rest of the shell shortly as I have no reason to remove it at any point going forward.

Horn situation is still unresolved. Will be working on that soon.

9EC29880-992A-4E5B-91DC-3CD448D26EADBFADB9C7-3359-43FE-B49A-8DE03C8E830FCDED1F0E-66EF-43D0-9E70-AD3C5D988E00

Attachments

Photos (3)

Add Reply

Likes (5)
harley riderVistaDomeScottEBT JimgnnpnutMike CT


OGR Publishing, Inc. PO Box 218, Hilliard, OH 43026 330-757-3020
www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
×