Skip to main content

Just picked this up.  Lionel 6-28674  C&O  0-6-0 Dockside switcher

In great shape, but when it crosses a switch (at slow speed) the e-unit activates and it goes into neutral.  Some sort of interruption.  Maybe from the tape?

20230204_183531

Common problem?

Anyone have a fix?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20230204_183531
Last edited by Craftech
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@chessie1971 posted:

Turn your e-unit off if you can but get it in foward first!!!

Yes, there is a switch for it on the bottom which does work, but I was actually thinking of using it as a switcher which will require both forward and reverse.

It has two pickup rollers which makes me wonder why it is exhibiting that behavior.

John

Last edited by Craftech
@romiller49 posted:

Yes, take off the tape to see if that works. The roller are obviously losing contact.

You're right.  I can always put them back on.  The tape went on because certain engines were shorting out on the FasTrack switches entering from the divergent end.  That solved that problem only to present a new problem, but at least I'll know if that is the problem and then maybe come up with an alternate solution.

Thanks Rod,

John

@romiller49 posted:

John, the piece of tape may just be a little too long. Since other locos were shorting out most likely the short was at the very edge of the rail. Try just a 1/8 “ piece of tape at the rail end. This will shorten the insulated gap that was created by the longer piece of tape.

Thanks Rod,

That seemed to work.  I was using lengths equal to the width of the tape.  I made new ones half that length and no more electrical interruptions for the switcher going through the switches even at low speed.   I tested the Lionel Santa Fe LionChief diesel that was shorting out before I installed the tape and it didn't short.

Great idea.

Thanks Rod

John

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.