Skip to main content

@Jim R. posted:

But the building used for the “Last Man Standing” Outdoor Man’s exterior shots is simply a Bass Pro Shops store, specifically in Rancho Cucamonga, California. Not a bad idea.

As you can tell I do make a living as a comedian.  My comment was a play on words....the building was planned but cancelled.....much like the TV show......back to model trains for me!

1.A Hospital based on the Police/Fire station footprint with a Rescue copter on top.

2. A the Theater with chase lights like the old "Elektra" one.

3. A operating, waving American Flag. Smaller computer fans are cheap and the trick is to

match the airflow (CFM) and make a small diagonal duct on the non flag side of the fan to direct

the airflow to the flag side.

Thank you Mark for soliciting suggestions.  UnclePeteRR

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1725 (1)
@paul 2 posted:

Love to see more building flats made. Not so much front of the buildings but maybe with just train loading and unloading docks or even some with a covered train shed. also made so you could put more then one side by side to make longer buildings. also some older style buildings from the early 1900's. ......Paul 2

I too agree w/ Paul's suggestion of more building flats (especially the often real world rear track facing side).  Maybe Menards can design two separate types that can work independently or together.

1. Product A:  multi-unit building/arcade style (brick or wood) style commercial front w/ Menards clever train pass-thru back.
  2. Product B:  the coordinating rear-side of Product A that typically faces the railroad tracks and includes a variety of rear entry doors, larger loading doors/docks for trucks and/or a boxcar.  Since Product B is the track-side rear it would not include the train pass-thru feature.

Menards has come out with many excellent building options over the past several years. Many of which require some serious space. The much less depth of a few inch facade can appeal to a wide audience and be placed in many spaces.

More taverns would be great.

I think the rule is you need 3 taverns for every church.

In some areas that is reversed but I remember many small towns that seemed to have a tavern or a church on every corner in the middle of town.

If you made a chasing Holiday Inn sign you would have a license to print money.  The Great Sign has it's own facebook page with quite a few members.

I love the idea of a 7-11.  K Line had one years ago, no idea who wound up with the tooling. 

Awesome suggestions like the idea of 7 eleven. Dunkin’ Donuts or dawn donuts

any building with a fan driven smoke unit would be awesome!!  Could be factories bakeries or houses with working chimney

carnival stands with smoke units such as making popcorn or cotton candy.

working LEd camp fire accessory with smoke unit

Like the holiday inn idea with neon sign, Amtrak station with Miller engineering neon ticket sign.  

what about a local home town Sears hardware?

would like to see the expansion of the restaurant line as mentioned Burger King subway kfc

@Garfield posted:

More taverns would be great.

I think the rule is you need 3 taverns for every church.

I've lived in a town that had a tavern on every corner in the "downtown" area and along the main route in through town.   I would suspect the ratio was more like 9 to 1.   A few of the older majestic churches were closed or converted into - a bar/restaurant or a law office.

@PilotPete posted:

Pabst Brewery, or any large brewery for that matter. As a dedicated beer lover, you can never have too many breweries. I also second the idea of a Howard Johnson, maybe the restaurant-hotel combo.

Cheers, Pete

Funny thing is Pabst doesnt have any breweries they own  Miller does all their brewing even though Pabst owns the recipes to about 40 local beers

The brewery subject keeps popping up among the other personal favorites we all have. Although I did purchase the Sprecher offering (yet to be renamed) I too would like to see my personal favorite, Fauerbach or Leinengkugels, would do nicely.

With that said, one category we haven't seen to date is a drugstore. How about a Rennebohm Drugstore. A Wisconsin staple for decades with 30 stores until purchased by Walgreens back in 1980.

How about something that has been absent from the model railroading world, a nice large school. I just threw this one as a suggestion from my hometown but something that is two stories or so. Maybe something similar in design to the Dept. 56 Snowy Hills hospital, I think a lot of different buildings (school, hospital, etc.) can be made from this one design.

robert-frost-middle-school

Image result for dept 56 hospital

Attachments

Images (1)
  • robert-frost-middle-school
Last edited by RJ I
@RJ I posted:

How about something that has been absent from the model railroading world, a nice large school. I just threw this one as a suggestion from my hometown but something that is two stories or so. Maybe something similar in design to the Dept. 56 Snowy Hills hospital, I think a lot of different buildings (school, hospital, etc.) can be made from this one design.

robert-frost-middle-school

Image result for dept 56 hospital

I agree, a school would be ideal. I small two story building would fit in anywhere from the 1950's to now. Plus this style of building could be used for other types of buildings.

I know my youngest son wants to buy the new church but modify it into a school. I'd hold him off if I knew a school was in the works.

James

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.