Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

John

Actually I put pushers on rear because with the smoke turned on, a seven diesel lash up drew to much power out of a block and pop the circuit breaker. Also the cars in the middle are light Weaver cars. I have since changed my power supply, will try again with all power on front. By the way no traction tires are used.

Clem

Originally Posted by loco-dan:

Clem, was this before or after the conversion to Kadee couplers?  Did you know you can double up on the bricks for 20 amps per block? I believe the TIU's channels are fused for 20 amps. Clem's layout is a single loop folded over on it's self ~300+ ft long with 4 TIU blocks.

Lookin good.

Dan

You'd better add fuses in line and go with passive wiring if possible with that much amp capability.

You don't want to go over ten amps per channel I was told.

Having more blocks on their own bricks is a better way to go.

Good morning

The locomotives are all Kadee equipped with fixed pilots and no traction tires.              About half the rolling                                                      

stock is Kadee. I would say they hook pretty well to claws. I plan on doubling the                              

bricks when I do this again. This is operated with DCS 4.2 I didn't build lash ups for this I just use the ALL button, much easier that way however that means all the lights are on also. this was drawing 9.5 amps continuous and sometimes 10 amps Just the way I like it use all the power I have Now that I have four bricks next one should be longer.

Now I have a question. How come when I posted the video I just got the you tube link? and Mr Swafford  got the video to post.

Detroit Three Railers next time you show up lets see if we can break TommyZ's record, He is at 200 feet

I like all the questions the forum ask's, this was filmed from lower right corner.

Clem k

IMG_1587

Last edited by clem k

Tommy Z abuses his TIU's with no problems.  I don't know what he has them fused for but it it's 20 amps plus.  Tom is a lot of fun.

Dan

Well I just wouldn't post publicly that you can overpower a TIU channel for some guys that would think they can. Putting two larger output bricks on each channel sounds like it would just be a matter of when, you'd cook something.

Tommie Z had an electrician hook up his layout as far as I remember. He achieves his large consists by using block wiring. That is what he told me.

Originally Posted by Engineer-Joe:

Tommy Z abuses his TIU's with no problems.  I don't know what he has them fused for but it it's 20 amps plus.  Tom is a lot of fun.

Dan

Well I just wouldn't post publicly that you can overpower a TIU channel for some guys that would think they can. Putting two larger output bricks on each channel sounds like it would just be a matter of when, you'd cook something.

Tommie Z had an electrician hook up his layout as far as I remember. He achieves his large consists by using block wiring. That is what he told me.

Personally, I would stick to the recommended 10 amps per channel through the TIU as well. I do not know Tommy Z, but love his videos. Seems like a neat guy. Not only does he get a lot of smoke from the engines, if I recall correctly he sometimes lets the smoke out of the equipment as well and it all ceases to function. He definitely likes to push his system to it's limits.

It's sad to see that he is discouraged because he has trouble getting parts. I look forward to his videos. He also has one heck of a layout, very impressive! I can only dream of one like that. You all that know him and have seen his layout are very fortunate.

Last edited by rtr12

You will quickly regret it if you push 20 amps through the TIU channels!  Before you blow the fuses, most likely the FETs on the variable channels will have put their feet up.  The TIU simply isn't designed for 20 amps, and you're foolish to push it that hard.

If you really need 20 amps on a power district, run the TIU in passive mode by using a separate aux supply and just connect the outputs directly to the track and the transformer directly to the track as well.  Leave the inputs open.

Originally Posted by clem k:

Thank you GRJ

I was thinking of doing just that, Can I just attach the bricks to the output side of the TIU?

Yep, just connect the transformers as if you don't have DCS and then connect the TIU outputs to the tracks with nothing on the inputs.

You may give up a bit of signal strength of the DCS signal, but my tests seem to indicate it's about 1 point on the scale.  If you are getting 8's and 9's, for instance, you may get 7's and 8's in passive mode. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.