Skip to main content

Melgar and I are planning to attend the Westchester County Toy & Train Show on Sunday, December 9th, at the County Center in White Plains, NY. We are also having lunch at the City Limits Diner, which is very convenient because it's a short walk across the street from the train show, at 12:30 PM that day.

We would love to meet our fellow Forum members at the luncheon. The more the merrier. We can share a table or two, and discuss the show, the trains, this fantastic Forum, anything else that pops into our heads, and otherwise have a grand time. 

By the way, the City Limits Diner, although not cheap, is a very good diner.

Please reply to let us know if you can attend this Forum luncheon and  get together.

Arnold

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Leroof posted:

Greetings Arnold and company.

I Have to check with work, and family here in Maine and in NYC, but, it's  a long drive that might be worth the time spent.

What time does the show open?

Thanking you for the invitation.

Back to you soon.

Leroof

The Train show is from 9 AM to about 4 PM. Best time to see the trains is in the morning.  Arnold

Nice idea! However, I can't go to lunch because I have a table to cover, doing God's work (selling my book)! 

I would be glad to meet any of you especially those of you who are regular posters on Switcher Saturday.

The show runs from 9am to 3pm...here is the info:http://www.westchestertoytrain.com/ 

This is what my table usually looks like...located around 50% in, slightly to the left of center.

train show

Tom  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • train show
MNCW posted:

Nice idea! However, I can't go to lunch because I have a table to cover, doing God's work (selling my book)! 

I would be glad to meet any of you especially those of you who are regular posters on Switcher Saturday.

The show runs from 9am to 3pm...here is the info:http://www.westchestertoytrain.com/ 

This is what my table usually looks like...located around 50% in, slightly to the left of center.

train show

Tom  

Tom, sorry you can't make the lunch, but its terrific you will be one of the dealers at the show. Maybe those of us who attend will take a coffee break at a particular time at your table, and/or chat with you during or immediately after the show. And, of course, we will also check out your book.  Arnold

Last edited by Arnold D. Cribari

George has posted this on his website (updated 11/3/18):

Note to Customers

In June, I celebrated my 83rd birthday. So now it’s time to slow down and semi-retire. I want to spend more time on my hobbies and with family.

Therefore, my main focus will be my wholesale dealers and the wholesale side of the business.

For my retail customers you will need to send orders priced out using the information on this website. Please note, I will not have time to answer phone calls or email questions. Thanks for your consideration.

He used to be one of the organizers of this particular show. Ever since I started having a table in 2004, I always looked forward to seeing him and getting parts from him. Hope he enjoys his slower lifestyle.  

Tom 

Leroof posted:

Ed,  Arnold Told me George Tebolt retired. 

That is what I told Leroof. I vaguely remember seeing George at the Westchester Toy and Train Show 2 or 3 years ago, he had much fewer parts to sell there, and I think he told me he was selling what he had and would then retire from that business. I remember telling him that when he retires, he can then run his trains for fun full time.

I just Googled George Tebolt and now I'm not sure if Grorge is retired.  George has a train parts website, and it looks like he is still in business taking orders for train parts and shipping them to customers. I also Googled the Westchester Toy and Train Show 2018, and George is listed as one of the people to contact, probably for dealers  interested in renting table space. 

My guess is that George, who is now 83 years old according to the Internet, has others helping him carry on the train parts business and running the train show. 

In my opinion, George was #1 when it comes to train parts, and maybe he still is. Arnold

I can tell by the highly articulate and technical advice often given on this Forum, that many of you are amazing at fixing and restoring trains. 

I have gone to the December Westchester Toy & Train Show for most of the past 25 years. It is almost always well-attended. There, one can find items for the collector connoisseur, items for the scrounger, and items for everyone in between. 

I personally most admire the scrounger, who can resurrect the beaten and battered junk. They can be seen diving under the tables, discerning what has the potential to be brought back to life, and restore and repair with their almost God-like powers.

Come to this December 9th Train Show and Forum luncheon. Keep an eye out for the scrounger!

LOL, Arnold

The scrounged  is possibly identified as, Tall, gentleman in his mid sixties, articulate,  salt and pepper beard, mustache, possible white shirt and tie, rummaging, making under the table deals, carrying bags of viable junk,  uhh it might be...... most of us.

n'est pas Arnold?

but alas, he is right, don't forget to look through the treasure finds below the obviously displayed....

Joe,

I preferred the clientele at George's (I think that was the name?). That was a booming business back then on North Ave. until the street parking was abolished (I guess due to too many fights). I went to Mt. St. Michael's.  The New York Westchester & Boston's original right-of-way wasn't too far away and you can still find remnants of Wykagyl station.  

NewRo-Before-After-WykagylTrainStation

Tom 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • NewRo-Before-After-WykagylTrainStation

I will try to be at the luncheon. Because I don't drive, I have to take subway to Grand Central then train to White Plains, then probably cab to Westchester Center. (I walked it one way last year, and in optimal weather it's about 10-15 minutes.)

All this also limits how much I can buy, because I then have to schlep it back to NYC via the same convoluted system.

Unless, um, someone in NYC could offer me a ride there and, maybe, back?

If this helps anyone...I worked up a rough floor plan for the Westchester County Center Toy & Train Show. Yes, it's rough and I obviously shouldn't give up my day job for graphic arts...

It's very simplified in terms of rows/tables (I probably only have included a fraction of what is normally at the show) and assumes the tables are roughly in the same spots as other shows. Don't let my simplified floor plan discourage you from attending. Depending on vendor turnout, the actual locations of tables for this show may vary slightly. I included where George Teabolt is usually located (not sure if he will be there).

West County Center Floor Plan x

Tom

Attachments

Images (1)
  • West County Center Floor Plan x

Thank you, Tom, for the diagram.

As shown on Tom's diagram, at least 2 Local Hobby Shops will have merchandise for sale at the show, and there will be at least 1, maybe 2 or 3, parts vendors. 

My recollection is that 1 vendor is often there who sells high quality O Scale figures (little people), a few vendors sell American Flyer, and there are many individuals dealers selling O Gauge trains there.

With the  holidays upcoming  there will parents with their kids as well as collectors and operators like us on the hunt. Arnold

MELGAR posted:
Apples55 posted:

I’m a definite maybe   I hope to make it to the show, but I still have one very bad knee, so not sure how long I can stay on my feet. If I can’t make lunch, I hope to run into some of you wandering around the show.

Hope you can make it. Looking forward to meeting you.

MELGAR

That’s very kind,MELGAR... I would enjoy meeting you (and some of the other bad influences on the Forum). In an effort to nudge myself into putting in an appearance, I need to get my car in for a service (I use a dealership in Westchester), so I scheduled it for Monday the 10th, so I have to drive over on Sunday - guess I’ll have to show up - at very least for lunch.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.