Skip to main content

I see Legacy Station posted a video of the new 2-10-10-2 yesterday. Does this mean they'll be shipping soon?

I gotta admit, I almost wish I would have got the paint scheme in the video. It sure is sharp!! I got the black one with blackened rods. I like the whistle selections on this engine too.

Last edited by BillYo414
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have the original VL version I love it.

I know it was well received. I hope they nail it this time too. It's such an interesting looking locomotive because of the way the boiler looks. I guess it looks undersized to me.

@laz1957 posted:

BILLO4014

I just ordered it coming next week. Can’t wait.

Ohh I thought you meant yours arrived.

@BillYo414 posted:

I know it was well received. I hope they nail it this time too. It's such an interesting looking locomotive because of the way the boiler looks. I guess it looks undersized to me.

Ohh I thought you meant yours arrived.

Its was undersized it was two regular 2-10-2's hob cobbled together and it was a huge failure for SF so much so alot of them were turned back into regular 2 -10-2's.

Last edited by Shawn_Chronister

It was an unsuccessful freight locomotive.  The were eventually rebuilt into 2-10-2's between 1915-1918.

Rusty

Noted, thank you.........

Peter

Peter - The Virginian Railway had 10 of these locos built for them in 1918.  They ran out of steam quickly and could only be used as helper locomotives on a short but steep grade. The AE class could take a big train from Mullins to Roanoke but they were much slower than a Norfolk & Western class Y-6 or any simple articulated. The AE class pretty much was limited to 20 mph.  In the early 1920s, the Virginia electrified the division the Class AE was designed for. The "Square Head" electric locomotives could move similar sized trains at 25 miles per hour. The AEs were too slow for the relatively level Roanoke to Victoria division, and being a 2-10-10-2 were to long for the tight curves of the branch lines to the coal mines, so they were used as heavy-duty shunters at the Sewell Point coal pier, from 1925 to the late 1940s.

-Greg

@Greg Houser posted:

Peter - The Virginian Railway had 10 of these locos built for them in 1918.

-Greg

@BillYo414 posted:

Didn't the Virginian version have a bigger boiler? I thought it looked different. It looks a lot beefier.

While both roads had 2-10-10-2's, the wheel arrangement was the only common factor.

The Virginian locomotives weighed about 16,000 pounds more, had larger cylinders and about 26,000 pounds more in tractive effort than the Santa Fe's.  Plus the Virginian 2-10-10-2's were built in 1918, the same year the last of the Santa Fe 2-10-10-2's were rebuilt into 2-10-2's.

Rusty

@N'awlins posted:

Wow! That thing is gorgeous! My Black Bonnet arrives tomorrow.

It appears Lionel knocked it out of the park on this Vision offering.

It's very glossy, almost like it's after a restoration version if there ever would've been one. I think some nice heavyweight Santa Fe passenger cars and a fantasy excursion train are in the works for this

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.