Skip to main content

Some folks with Lionel Legacy 2-6-0 Moguls have mentioned a gear issue that over time has caused their engine to stop running. If you have a Lionel Legacy mogul what has been your experience with it? Has it been problematic or is it a smooth and consistent, problem free runner?

Last edited by ogaugeguy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The early Legacy Mogul had a couple of problems, different samples had different issues.  One issue was missing bushings in the drive rods, fairly easily corrected.  There were other issues with electronics and the limits of the speed control.

I have one of the more recent Moguls, the Legacy Strasburg #89, so far it hasn't had any issues.

Do you have the Strasburg 1970's or 2000's version?

Also, when listed on the sell sites I frequent, Lionel's  2011 conventional model of the Strasburg 89 mogul often commands higher prices than the newer Legacy version. I wonder why? Go figure out people!

I tried 2 brand-new Legacy Strasburg Moguls last year (1970's version), and they were both duds. The first one had the issue with the drivetrain locking up. I sent it back to Lionel for warranty service, but the folks in the service department told me they couldn't repair it.  They sent me a replacement, which was also a dud. Right out of the box, it made a terrible grinding noise. Back to Lionel it went for a refund.

I also acquired a used Legacy Boston & Maine Mogul last year (6-84069). It runs great, but with any more than 6 or 7 freight cars behind it, the drivetrain locks up.

As for your question about the older conventional Mogul commanding a higher price than the "latest and greatest," I suspect it's because it is more reliable than the latest generation of Moguls, and although the Mogul is small, it can be converted to command control.

The best Lionel Moguls operation wise are the TMCC engines from the early 2000s. It has a small Pittman motor and zero mechanical glitches. If you don’t plan to double head them and just want trouble free operation I would suggest these. I have relettered three of them so no worries if they aren’t what you run. Just get some decals.

before

Relettered and detailed.

IMG_2393

Pete

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_2393
Videos (1)
IMG_1171
Last edited by Norton

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653