Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a whole new appreciation for an engineer in control of a steam locomotive on a slippery incline!!!

That engineer had a huge work-out pulling the throttle on and off just to keep the wheels from slipping continuously.... and keeping it on the knife-edge of stalling.....I never considered running a steam locomotive to be that intense!!!

Great video of what happens in the "real world" of steam locomotion.

Peter....Buco Australia

Y

@Buco posted:

I have a whole new appreciation for an engineer in control of a steam locomotive on a slippery incline!!!

That engineer had a huge work-out pulling the throttle on and off just to keep the wheels from slipping continuously.... and keeping it on the knife-edge of stalling.....I never considered running a steam locomotive to be that intense!!!

You had no idea but, now you do! What makes it even more difficult is if the throttle is stiff, i.e. hard to pull.

Great video of what happens in the "real world" of steam locomotion.

You got it!

Peter....Buco Australia

Y

Nice work.  He did a good job of handling the wheel slips.  Since this is a coal fired locomotive, it would be interesting to know how this was affecting the fire, with the draft suddenly becoming much greater when the wheels slipped.  The Engineer was right on top of each wheel slip, though, and he obviously knows the road well.

With steam, unlike diesel power, the Engineer has to limit the use of sand, and cannot employ the trick of applying  a couple of psi of independent brake to keep the wheel tread wiped clean, which, with diesels, can help to control wheel slippage.  He has to do it with throttle manipulation, and be very responsive.   Constant sanding with steam engines risks doing damage.  More than one bent rod has resulted from use of sand to control wheel slip without good throttle manipulation.

A fellow Engineer once remarked that the steam locomotive is the epitome of precision, manually-operated, machinery.  That's why the quality of the operation is so dependent on the quality of the engine crew.

Last edited by Number 90

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.