Skip to main content

I have the benchwork set up for a 2 level around the room layout.  The upper level will be G Gauge, and the lower level will be O Gauge.

For the lower level, I plan to use DCS and Legacy.  I am planning to use 2 TIU's (using 6 of the 8 channels) for the O Gauge layout running them in Super TIU mode.  One of the loops on the upper level will be used to run MTH One Gauge trains.  I plan to use a third TIU for the One Gauge trains. 

I assume that the DCS remotes will find all 3 TIU's.  Is it possible to have one remote control the O Gauge trains and One Gauge trains?  Or would I have to dedicate one remote to just the One Gauge trains?  Or, is this going to be a nightmare?

I looked through Barry's book, but I couldn't find anything about the layouts I am planning.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Gregg:

You should be fine, give each tiu it's own ID number(edit tiu address) and set each  tiu to super mode,  The remote will find all 3 tiu. Add your engine and you're away to the races.

I don't understand why the third TIU would be set to super mode.  It will only be used for the Gauge One trains.  I understand that each TIU must have a unique ID, but I'm puzzled about the third TIU running in super mode since the Gauge One trains will never run on the O Gauge track being controlled by the other 2 TIU's.

Gary,

You set it to Super Mode so that both layouts can be operated at the same time and so that the same Remotes can be used for both or either.

Actually, there's no need to set the third TIU to Super TIU mode if trains from TIU @1 and #2 aren't going to be on TIU #3's tracks. The remotes will all run trains on all 3 TIUs just fine.

Regardless, there's a pretty obscure bug that makes it all moot. If a remote contains multiple TIUs and some are in Super mode and some are not, the remote treats them all as if they're in Super mode.

That's why I leave my test track TIU out of my layout remotes, and vice-versa. I also keep the test track TIU tethered to its remote.

Originally Posted by Barry Broskowitz:

Gary,

You set it to Super Mode so that both layouts can be operated at the same time and so that the same Remotes can be used for both or either.

Actually, there's no need to set the third TIU to Super TIU mode if trains from TIU @1 and #2 aren't going to be on TIU #3's tracks. The remotes will all run trains on all 3 TIUs just fine.

Regardless, there's a pretty obscure bug that makes it all moot. If a remote contains multiple TIUs and some are in Super mode and some are not, the remote treats them all as if they're in Super mode.

That's why I leave my test track TIU out of my layout remotes, and vice-versa. I also keep the test track TIU tethered to its remote.

All true, but it's simpler to explain and easier to implement to go all Super and avoid bugs and more detailed explanations/questions about engine association, etc.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.