Skip to main content

I set a new record for longest consist at the NLOE club layout yesterday!

A friend of mine and I both have I1 Decapods from MTH. He has the long tender version, mine is the short. We always talked about lashing them up and throwing a ton of rolling stock behind them. Yesterday we finally did! With the caboose the consist is 100 cars long! The train is a mix of Lionel, MTH, Atlas and Weaver. All are scale! It did take a few try's to properly get the weight distributed properly. Only 2 derailments a couple of break aways. But once we got rolling it held together perfectly!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do not know where the pictures are but in the late 90's, my friend and I set up a large three track L shaped setup with 072 curves.  We ran 107 cars with six MPC era GP's and F's.  Three on the front and three on the back. 

Another long train was at a Greenburg train show in Maryland in the 80's.  There was a fellow who was a customer of ours who sold Williams trains and bet me that my brand new NYC F3's that had just come out could not outpull one of his Williams engines.

On Bruce's large dog bone shaped layout he took to the show's, I pulled 99 cars.  The Williams engine could just pull the train but not the dummy A and B unit.  We had a nice little crowd for that one!

Lionel 1    Williams 0

Harold

@Mike CT posted:

Sunset 3rd rail PRR decapod had/has an unusual 30 to 1 gear ratio drive system.  Exceptional low speed, without modern electronic speed control,  IMO.  Mike CT.   

I'll never understand why the scale steam offerings don't use a gear ratio like this (or better) since in the real world, they could have never traveled at the scale speeds that the current gear ratios allow.  It would offer lower stress on the gear box I would imagine, though the worm and motor would be running at a higher RPM I guess.  I rarely run my decapods, consolidations, and the like above about 30 SMPH.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.