Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas everyone.  This year I raised my Christmas layout off of the carpet by framing out six 3x4 modules with 1/2 inch plywood and 1x4s.  Total layout size is 6x12.  The trains run a bit smoother and the layout has more of a finished look to it.   I enjoy it and I hope you all do as well.

IMG_1359

IMG_1359

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1359
Originally Posted by NYC Fan:

My little 4ft x 8ft Christmas Layout is up and running. Once it is finished I'll take some photos with the "good" camera.

Skip - Your "little" display is absolutely splendid, very much in the spirit of Christmas.  Nice to see such a lovely display that is not trying to be the biggest or the baddest.  Well done!

Pete

Brian and Elizabeth, I checked out your Christmas Village in the Dec. OGR Mag.  Did you set out with any drawings or plans or did you trust your creative side and just went at it.  I appreciate  what you have done.  I would love to see it in person, but that won't happen.  When you have it open to the children to view, do you  dress up as  Mr. & Mrs. Claus?  BTW: your train station is awesome and you are more than a train collector.  You are an artist  and you left that out of your bio.  I understand you being humble, but yet being proud of what you accomplished.

Bob

Originally Posted by Dan986:
Originally Posted by OKHIKER:

Didn't mean for that to happen.  Anyway, here is the other view I wanted to show.

IMG_1358

Very nice Christmas layout.I like the brick border at the bottom.Please post a video of the trains running on the layout if possible.

Dan

Dan986,

Thanks for the compliment.  Unfortunately, I do not have video capability.

Dan, thanks for posting photos of your beautiful Christmas layout. Jim, I am sure you do not remember me, but I called you on a Sunday afternoon, not really expecting you to answer the phone, and you were gracious enough to fill my order for two MTH flag baggage cars. Thanks for your contribution from a previous layout.

Bob, no we do not dress up as Mr. & Mrs. Claus. We would not want to scare the kids.  I had prepared a detailed plan for the layout which located every building (over 200 of them) that was a task as I did this in my work city that was hundreds of miles away from my home where the layout is located. The plan actually worked during the installation phase. Many thanks for your compliments.

Bill, as always, thanks for comments, you are a real friend. And Ben, what a great start. This is one beautiful tree. How tall is it?

PLEASE keep in mind that I'm already on the prowl for Christmas layouts for next year's issues of the magazine.  

I'm really looking for two full cover features next year, if possible, because a number of our readers/fans have already expressed disappointment that they already received the January issue before Thanksgiving and they don't like to see the holiday season rushed liked that.  I customarily devote the Dec. issue to a Christmas theme, with the January issue ending up being pretty much devoid of Christmas.  With your help, I hope to correct that situation in 2014 by featuring appropriate holiday or winter-type scenes in both issues, at least in part.

I need high-resolution photos for publication, so please keep that in mind.  That just means setting your digital camera for the highest resolution or fewest number of images on the disc.  Send an example or two via e-mail attachment and I'll guide you through the process, if necessary.

Like most here, I love the holiday season.  And since it is THE season when toy trains come to the forefront in the eyes and minds of hobbyists and the general public alike, I want to be able to do it up right.  With your help, we'll be able to give a kick-start to getting even more folks enthused about this wonderful Christmas-and-trains tradition.

Some fine candidates for the magazine here, for those of you so inclined (you'll make a few bucks for next year's Christmas fund, too, if they are used).

Some photo tips:

1.  Take high-resolution photos (fewest number on the camera disc or set for "hi-resolution."

2.  Use a tripod or other firm support for the camera if at all possible (beanbags work great for floor-level photos).

3.  If the camera has adjustable settings, use the smallest aperture possible (which results in longer exposure times but also gives greater depth-of-field).

4.  Include trains in as many photos as possible.  Our readers like to see your trains.

5.  Take a number of photos from track level to give viewers/readers a realistic "trackside" perspective of your creations.

If you send me an e-mail, I'll be happy to send along our "Photo Tips Sheet" that was put together by our own Section Gang member and forum contributor, Jim Policastro.

Let's share the fun of Christmas TRAINing with as many folks as possible this year and beyond!  

Last edited by Allan Miller
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.