Skip to main content

Is anyone finding that the kinematic couplers on the new Lionel passenger cars are not centering? I push or pull the cars on straight track until the coupler is centered. When the locomotive beings to pull, the couplers go off center badly regardless of speed. When the cars come out of a curve the couplers remain uncentered. 

Of course I know that there is a "point" that the coupler centering plate must navigate and the coupler then chooses left or right, but off center looks terrible and cannot be photographed. I assumed that coming out of a curve or on straights, the coupler would recenter. My curves are all 72" and larger. 

Anyone seeing this? Any solutions?

Last edited by Scrapiron Scher
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Scrapiron Scher posted:

Is anyone finding that the kinematic couplers on the new Lionel passenger cars are not centering? I push or pull the cars on straight track until the coupler is centered. When the locomotive beings to pull, the couplers go off center badly regardless of speed. When the cars come out of a curve the couplers remain uncentered. 

Of course I know that there is a "point" that the coupler centering plate must navigate and the coupler then chooses left or right, but off center looks terrible and cannot be photographed. I assumed that coming out of a curve or on straights, the coupler would recenter. My curves are all 72" and larger. 

Anyone seeing this? Any solutions?

We had the same issue with a set of freedom train cars.  Our club had a show over last weekend and they started off just as you described.   However, after a weekend of running them and switching them in and out of the yard.   The couplers seem to be working as designed now with no issues.   We didn’t even lubricate the kenematic parts.  Which I’m sure would help with this even further.   They work very nicely now.  My suggestion would be to run’em for a good bit you might be surprised how well they work in.   I also had a smililar issue with my Milwaukee road s3.   It always worked well but after logging some miles it works beautifully now.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.