Skip to main content

Hi all,

I've posted a few designs out here including the one below. I've set up shop in the garage, installed a lift system and made the bechwork. It's 5x11. My original designed called for 6x10, but I limited it to 5x11. The attached was roughly done in GIS. I was wondering if someone could bring it into on of the design programs to tell me if will work. I cannot download any of the fine design programs at home as the computers I use are from work.

To remedy the constraint I created an easement spelled out on the 5x10 plan. Bolder white is climb/return. I ONLY have o27 and o42 curves and switches. DoubleDAZ in the past has always been helpful but I dont see his email. If o-27 is necessary for the inner folding dogbone thats fine. Thanks in advance!

5x11

6x10

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 5x11
  • 6x10
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry, Jay, I didn't realize there was a field in the profile for a Display Email.

At any rate, we just got to our daughter's in Richmond Hill GA, so you'll have to give me a few days to get settled and find time to play with this. Hopefully, I'll get time this weekend, but we're here for an Army retirement ceremony and there will be other family arriving, etc., so I'm not sure what my schedule it going to be.

that's great! thanks dave! not sure if you can use half curve pieces? I'm going to try and make the top (black/white plan), the inner loops have a few 1/2 o42s in the top plan for easements. no worries if not. I'm just happy it will fit. oh, is the grade about 3.5%? I may bring the upper loop a little further to the left to reduce the grade. doing so may cover the switch but I figure its right at a tunnel entrance so access will be easy. thanks again, this is great.

I can use 1/2 tracks, but the top configuration will simply NOT fit in a 5' width, at least not using O42 tracks. The combination of O42s and those straight tracks in the top crossover pushes the lower part of the layout outside the lower part of the oval. As a result, the combination of O27s/O42s in the right reverse loop didn't fit the space available for it. The only way that would fit is if the O42 crossover worked. I did manage to use O42s on the left side in the inner oval though.

The tracks in the expanded upper reverse loop didn't fit the way it's designed either. They might actually fit when put together, but they weren't close enough to join in RRT. I tried all kinds of variations, but couldn't join them close enough for a simulation to work. They weren't just short, they were off center too much.

At any rate, I was able to change the configuration of the spurs, etc., and this is what I came up with. Curves and turnouts that aren't marked are O42. The grade in purple is 3.3% and you can see I stretched things as far as I could. If you move the upper reverse loop a little to the right, the grade increases to 3.5%. Personally, that is what I would do to avoid covering the turnout on the left side.

I also feel I had to use too many short straights, especially on the top left, to make things fit and maximize the use of space. Standard straights might fit when you actually put things together. You can also squeeze things together by moving the lower reverse loop a little to the left and then moving the ovals on the right side in a bit too. I tend to push things to the edge and then adjust as I add landscaping/scenery.

Jay

Jay3D

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Jay
  • Jay3D
Files (1)

Ahh ok. Kinda figured it would be tight. I can live with the 27 loops. I'll probably add on to it to make the L shaped one you helped out with a year ago or so at some point down the line. Thanks again. Once it warms up here in PA I'll resume work on it and post some picts but dang its been cold! It takes too long for me to warm the garage!

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.