Skip to main content

I finally build the layout with wide enough curves to run engines requiring 072.  Break out the 51008 Pioneer Zephyr, apply power, and no go.  It appears the front motor is not moving at all while the rear motor appears to work fine. 

I've opened it up and all the connections seem to be tight.  The rear motor has two wires going to it so pretty simple.  The front motor has a board and several wires attached.  I'd like to check to see if I am getting power at the motor itself but have no idea which wires to check.  I've attached a picture of the front motor.

I also noticed a wire in the back of the power car next to the rear motor which just doesn't seem to go anywhere.  I've also attached a picture of that.  I suspect it might be an antenna but if not, where should it go?  There doesn't seem to be a place to attach it.

Thanks for any help.20210204_214833_resized20210204_214852_resized

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 20210204_214833_resized
  • 20210204_214852_resized
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Roy,

On the picture on the left, there is a black wire coming up that kind of looks like it might be attached to the motor.  It isn't.  The black wire just has what appears to be a rubber protector on it which is why I thought it might be an antenna.  I do see wires attached to the skirts so they are probably the antenna like you said.

I did check the power going to the front motor and it appears there is power.  However, while inspecting the motor more closely, I see some sort of brass metal part floating around inside the motor.  It looks like I need to have the motor replaced at a service facility since I can't figure out how to remove that motor.

Thanks,

John

@lionelflyer posted:

It's hard to believe that it isn't just a standard motor and not interchangeable between many engines. But then again, I'm probably just too practical.

Can you read any model number on the forward engine? I believe it to be a Mabuchi motor from related parts descriptions. True, Lionel lists the motor/flywheel/sensor assembly as unavailable but the flywheel and sensor are available as individual parts. I think that the problem would be matching the gearing of the original motor and installing the worm gear on it.

That is if the motor needs replacing. If it’s got a stray metal piece in it that might have caused a short, but it’s not easy to see where the piece might have come from. Is it not answering TMCC commands at all?

Timko was able to repair (replace) the motor at a very reasonable price.  However a new problem has come up.  The power unit is shorting out.  My ZW-L starts glowing red after a few seconds., even thought the engine is moving.  Rather than fry anything I've disconnected the power.  What appears to be a metal bracket at the center of the engine gets extremely hot.  I cut power before any smoking etc.  I've searched around for maybe a pinched wire but can't see anything. 

Is there a wiring diagram for this engine?  I can find the instruction manual on Lionel's website but no diagram.  I hate to have to send it out again.  The new equipment is very frustrating.  I can take a 70 old postwar engine out, put it on the track, and it runs fine.

I also disconnected a black wire with a round spade from somewhere and forgot where it was.  I thought it was attached to the removable hatch but the screw doesn't want to go in there any where.  Any suggestions, besides making it a shelf queen are appreciated.

Thanks,

LionelFlyer

@lionelflyer posted:

Timko was able to repair (replace) the motor at a very reasonable price.  However a new problem has come up.  The power unit is shorting out.  My ZW-L starts glowing red after a few seconds., even thought the engine is moving.  Rather than fry anything I've disconnected the power.  What appears to be a metal bracket at the center of the engine gets extremely hot.  I cut power before any smoking etc.  I've searched around for maybe a pinched wire but can't see anything.

Saying something "gets hot" doesn't convey much information, how about at least a picture?  I'm guessing you're likely talking about the DCDS motor driver, but guessing is all I can do with the information provided.

I've attached a picture of the part that is getting hot.  It is the mounting bracket for the controls for program/run, smoke, etc.  I can't tell if the bracket is getting hot directly or if it is radiated heat off of another component.  I can only apply power for a few seconds before the ZW-L short indictor light starts glowing.  I'm not sure if the breaker would trip because I don't want to leave the power on that long.  In the few seconds, this bracket gets too hot to touch.

The wire I'm not sure of is shown.  I just don't remember where it went.  I guess getting very frustrated with the unit and leaving it for a couple of weeks didn't help my memory any. 

Thanks for any ideas.

HotMountandWire

Attachments

Images (1)
  • HotMountandWire

L-F, Like I said, look at your first picture. It looks to me the wire in question is a ground and screws into the chassis holding the fuel tank. That could be your problem. If the washer under the screw is plastic, it probably is the antenna wire. If the bracket still gets hot after you replace the wire, you will need to replace the motor driver board.

Last edited by Chuck Sartor

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.