Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Daviddurbin posted:

I have a question, I'm looking to go to york but I don't have a TCA membership yet. If I purchase one regular membership for me, does that include bringing a guest? Im 5 hours away so Ill have to bring my dad also.

if not a member yet join give it about 2-3 weeks call and ask for your member# as you need that to get your york tickets I had to do this I still haven't gotten my package yet but have my member # now so I could get my tickets which I also have already. 

DP posted:

So, if I don't belong to the TCA, what are the ticket prices ?

Jameszz posted:

York isn't open to the public. You have to be a member of the TCA or come as a family member or guest of a TCA member.

Or he can join the TCA at the door, though that wastes valuable time in line the first day.

Essentially it's the 1st year membership dues ($50) plus the at the door registration fee ($22)for the meet.

-Dave

Last edited by Dave45681
Putnam Division posted:
richabr posted:

From looking at the registration form it appears the Brown hall has been eliminated.

No surprise there.......

Peter

Agreed. 

Hopefully that means fewer twisted ankles this meet. The surface under the "carpet" they put down could be really rough in there some meets.  I never actually hurt myself seriously, but I suspect someone must have over the years.

The rumor regarding further "reconfiguration" I heard last meet that might be a shock if it's come true is the food stand outside attached to Purple may be going away to add bathrooms instead.  I was not a consistent customer there, but I know many loved the sausage and peppers they had.

-Dave

(edited to clarify that I meant the stand and not the restaurant between Black and Red halls)

Last edited by Dave45681
DP posted:

So I have been to the Large Scale Show in York a few years ago.  I've never been to the O scale show however.  What is special about this meet when compared with other meets like the one in Delaware this past weekend ? I need a reason to go.

14000+ buying and selling trains in 6(+) buildings.

All the major manufacturers are there to display their wares and answer questions. Some provide tutorials and product updates.

Most of the major dealers set up shop. Good deals to be had....depending on what you are looking for....

Largest collection of collectors selling their wares....deals are available, depending on what suits your fancy.

OGR Forum activities (this is the most fun for me). Visiting with friends, making new ones, putting faces with names, etc.

Some of the activities include: OGR Thursday night get together at Quaker Steak & Lube. The Friday 2PM Forum meeting in the Gold Hall. The Weds night DCS dinner meeting. The Friday AM Legacy users breakfast.....and as yet unannounced, I will organize the Thursday AM Round-the -Clock Diner breakfast again.

And, if that's not enough, the chance to see trains that you have only read about....

Peter

Last edited by Putnam Division
DP posted:

So I have been to the Large Scale Show in York a few years ago.  I've never been to the O scale show however.  What is special about this meet when compared with other meets like the one in Delaware this past weekend ? I need a reason to go.

Here's all the information about the TCA Eastern Division York Meet. --> TCA Eastern Division York Meet

DP posted:

I had the day free last Saturday so I took the hour ride to the Wilmington Greenburg show for the first time.   Let's be honest, for O-Gauge it was a lousy show with maybe 25-33% of the vendors selling O-Gauge.   This show isn't in the same proverbial universe as the York meet.   It's like comparing the MLB World Series to a little league game.  

As Peter well stated, there's no comparison.  Folks fly in from other countries and travel across our great country to attend the York meet for a reason. 

Even if you only can attend for one day it's well worth the effort and expense.   And if you can please stick around for our Thursday night gathering - the more the merrier and everyone was a first timer at one time. 

-Greg

My guess is that the dealers from Brown will be filling vacancies in Orange Hall first, and then Purple.  With dealers closing shop due to the economy, retiring, or just aging to the point where they can't manage the effort, it is no surprise that the meet is shrinking.  Brown Hall is not a big loss, but it is still sad to see the meet shrink to the point where it isn't needed.  When I started going in '08, what little dealer space was available was in Brown as Orange and Purple were filled to capacity.

Andy

colorado hirailer posted:

Any attendance significance to the closing of the Brown Hall?    Where are those dealers moving?  And is that closing a sign of fewer dealers attending than in years past....as I have noted before, if you don't get there very early and are looking for a place to park,  attendance does not look to be declining.

Last fall, Brown was fairly light in terms of vendors.  I know Public Delivery Track, the "anchor" of that hall, was absent.  I think that left maybe 3-4 dealers?  Given the vacancies in Purple and even Orange that I noticed, it shouldn't be a problem finding space for them.

Yes, fewer dealers are attending.  Those who have departed the meet were covered in at least one topic in the past.  And historically, the April meet is smaller than the October one.

George

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.