It has been exactly 2 years since I asked about radius curves & how tight I could make them. I thought after my experiment working on the curves with different engines that I could do my portable 38 inch by 78 inch layout in about 6 to 9 months. (At that time I had not factored in my back problems with past operations and chronic pain. Last August 2021, I got a pain pump, but it has not been of much help yet as it was supposed to take at least 6 months to start to work.) So here it is 2 years after I started and I am approaching the final work with many little things that need to be completed. But it is operational.
I am going to show the progression from start to finish but with only a few pictures every couple of days or so. I hope you enjoy it. Make comments or suggestions but remember it is fictional, portable, and with some things looking maybe a bit strange, and "it's my railroad."
This is the post where I was asking about the tightness of a radius.
2nd update, 3/13/2020 (at bottom of 1st post), On30 radius curve, 1/26/2020... Update 2/14/2020
I scribbled out many track plans with each one not being able to fit. I finally came up with a working start and it was modified a few times before really getting track permanently laid. Nothing was taken from other ideas. It just came out of my head and onto the foam board.
Here are the first two pictures to start it off.
It has a 1 X 2 frame underneath to fit around a 2 X 4 folding table. Also a 1 x 4 facia.
I made cardboard circle cutouts to form the radiuses.
I used Peco switches and Peco Flex track with a cork roadbed.
Some track being laid thinking this may not work. I really did not want to make the layout larger.
I have a backstory for this fictional railroad & why it is called Utacolzona. It will show up in a later post.
Lots more to come!