Skip to main content

Thanks all!  I was really pleased with the pictures - taken with my cell phone in the dark last night - with only the lights from the Christmas tree, trains, and village.

PTC - really appreciate you starting this thread again this year.  I've thought about submitting photos to Allan in the past, just always forget once the holidays are past. 

Originally Posted by Dtrainmaster:
Sam, what did you use for snow? That's the most I've seen on those cars.
Dave - the snow on the PE passenger cars is just some fluffy white fabric that I cut to size and glued on several years ago.  It's held up very well, though it definitely photographs better than what it looks like live!

Looking forward to seeing more photos in this thread over the next few weeks - Merry Christmas to all!

-Sam
Originally Posted by rail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;feature=youtu.be

I guess my video was too long to post directly to the forum, so here's the youtube link.

I wasn't able to fit all 39 cars, so I did 3 of each year. The quality isn't that good, but I can't set my tripod low enough to the ground for a nice track side shot.

Don

Here's your video Don, Great little Christmas Village you created around a beautiful tree.

Originally Posted by Matthew B.:

Posted all my pictures so after this video I get to sit back and enjoy what everyone else has created for their family and friends.

Thanks for this thread Brian, it's always been my favorite and the one I look most forward too through out the year.

Really, really nice.  I remember you starting this back in the summer and remember thinking how early it was to even be thinking about Christmas.  But look at what you were able to create because of all of that time.  I really like the inclusion of the rotating color spotlight.  It really makes the entire thing pop.  And thanks for giving the forum a head's up on that light.  I got a couple for future projects.

Lastly, great music choice.  You cannot beat the classics when it comes to Christmas music.  Thanks for sharing.  Just outstanding.

Originally Posted by eddiem:

Here's a look at our family room layout....

P1010263

This year it only took 5 minutes to set it all up!

Ed

There is something about this that I really like.  It's very clean and well executed.  So simple, yet still has so much interest.  And 5 minutes sounds pretty nice compared to the hours it takes me to set up mine.  Great job.

Originally Posted by suzukovich:

I know I posted pics earlier but here is my 4th attempt at a video. Don't laugh too hard......

Good job Doug, wish I could fill up a room like that, gives you a lot of opportunities for whimsical Christmas fun and you've taken full advantage of it. Thanks for sharing and have a great Christmas.

Originally Posted by eddiem:

Here's a look at our family room layout....

This year it only took 5 minutes to set it all up!

Ed

Good job Ed, y'all work fast and still get amazing results. A word of caution though; I don't know if you noticed. But while it only took you five minutes to set up, it looks like the burglars across the street only took about three minutes to clean out your neighbors house.

Originally Posted by Sleeper:

I just finally got a handle on my 2014 Christmas train display and there is still a lot making fine adjustments that I want to make.

Magnificent Johnny! Love the multi-level display with a full size tree over looking the water front. Great example of how to get a full size high rail layout into a small space. I'm sure it will bring y'all a lot of enjoyment for the Christmas Season.

I appreciate your compliments TowDog. Sharing what we enjoy here on the forum is about the best way I know of spreading our happiness to others so more can get the most enjoyment out of the hobby and extend that to their family and friends.

I try to keep busy throughout the year with creative projects. This years Christmas display started back in August and included a dozen or so small projects. 92 year old Ma and quite a few of the seasoned neighbors were watching the creation of each small project. None of them saw the full display as I was sharing it here on the forum. Watching the individual pieces being created kept them entertained and engaged with anticipation waiting to see how everything would come together.

I'm not sure, but I think maybe being open and inviting to input during the long process of building our Christmas display, helps our older family members and friends feel included and significant. And maybe even offers a sense of accomplishment when they see the final results.

Originally Posted by towdog:
Originally Posted by Matthew B.:

Posted all my pictures so after this video I get to sit back and enjoy what everyone else has created for their family and friends.

Thanks for this thread Brian, it's always been my favorite and the one I look most forward too through out the year.

Really, really nice.  I remember you starting this back in the summer and remember thinking how early it was to even be thinking about Christmas.  But look at what you were able to create because of all of that time.  I really like the inclusion of the rotating color spotlight.  It really makes the entire thing pop.  And thanks for giving the forum a head's up on that light.  I got a couple for future projects.

Lastly, great music choice.  You cannot beat the classics when it comes to Christmas music.  Thanks for sharing.  Just outstanding.

Originally Posted by TGP:

Mario,

How do you do your streets !????????????????????????????

thanks

Terry

For the actual street, I used roll up vinyl road, from Walthers I believe.

For the snow banks, I use "Sno-Tex" (I got mine at Hobby Lobby), and spray it all down with a clear flat, then while its still wet I sprinkle Woodland Scenics snow...

I lightly spray over everything with spray glitter (Guess where? Hobby Lobby).  Be careful not to get too close; it comes out fast.

Finally, the last step is to dribble Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water" (Again, Hobby Lobby) along the curb to look like puddles.

Thanks,

- Mario

Originally Posted by c.sam:

A favorite automobile - '55 Chrysler

The closely related '55 Imperial was another beauty seldom seen even back then!

IMG_1682

Dad had a black '56 Imperial. He opened a letter from President Kennedy one day, and him and Mom drove out to Fort Carson,Colorado for a couple years for service with the 5th Division. The Air Force has a base close by, and their PX was better than the Army's, so they did their shopping their. The Air Force brass was using Black Chryslers for their staff cars at the time, so whenever Dad would pull up to the gate, the APs would snap to thinking it was Air Force brass and not seeing it was just an Army PFC.

Originally Posted by Pine Creek Railroad:
Passenger Train Collector,
   Well the Pine Creek Rail Road Christmas layout is starting to take shape, maybe one more siding on the 2nd level to complete and we can start placing the Christmas village.  Everyone's Christmas layouts are looking fantastic, Johnny & Eddie your FasTrack Christmas layouts are just great!
PCRR/Dave

I absolutely love the bear in the tree. I'm trying talk my wife into doing the same, but I guess I first need a bear.

Originally Posted by Pine Creek Railroad:
Passenger Train Collector,
   Well the Pine Creek Rail Road Christmas layout is starting to take shape, maybe one more siding on the 2nd level to complete and we can start placing the Christmas village.  Everyone's Christmas layouts are looking fantastic, Johnny & Eddie your FasTrack Christmas layouts are just great!
PCRR/Dave

fantastic! That 2810 makes the 2660 look like an HO crane!

Steamer,

Dave as you know, the Crane Cars are my favorite piece of rolling stock,

I am now actively looking for another 810 to restore, after seeing Steve's fantastic Crane restoration work, with his custom colors to high light the entire Crane Car, I got to restore an 810.  Then I am going to due do the same matching colors on a restored 2660 Mini Crane car to run with it.   I also need another 2660 for the 264 Baby Ruth Tin Plate you see on the 2nd Level, that old 264 has to have a 2660 Crane Car to go with it, I am thinking about restoring one in Gray to match the old Lionel engine & tender.

PCRR/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad
Originally Posted by CentralFan1976:
Originally Posted by TGP:

Mario,

How do you do your streets !????????????????????????????

thanks

Terry

For the actual street, I used roll up vinyl road, from Walthers I believe.

For the snow banks, I use "Sno-Tex" (I got mine at Hobby Lobby), and spray it all down with a clear flat, then while its still wet I sprinkle Woodland Scenics snow...

I lightly spray over everything with spray glitter (Guess where? Hobby Lobby).  Be careful not to get too close; it comes out fast.

Finally, the last step is to dribble Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water" (Again, Hobby Lobby) along the curb to look like puddles.

Thanks,

- Mario

Mario,

Super photos!  thanks for the short 'how-to'!

Originally Posted by SamM:

I always look forward to returning to this forum this time each year.  Such wonderful Christmas displays with the trains.  Since this is the one time of year where the trains come out in our home, we tend to go all out.  Almost complete, here are a couple early shots of the Polar Express running through the Christmas Story village...

IMG_20141205_204017[1]

IMG_20141205_204211[1]

IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Thanks,

Sam

Super, Sam!

The snow is as thick as in the movie, and the boy sitting with the hobo at his fire is the best I've seen.  The town is great too!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.