Skip to main content

I have a 30-1449-1 Imperial switcher that was running great then all of a sudden it started to loose power on each switch. I put in a new battery and charged it with no improvement. I did a Dcs factory reset with no improvement. On regular track, speed, volume, and smoke work fine. I have MTH realtrax.

I cleaned and lubed the pickup rollers and even tried reversing them with no improvement.

any ideas as to the problem? Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like you lost contact with either the center rail or the outer rails. When you cleaned the rollers, did you clean the wheels as well? I assume this unit has at least one traction tire, which means that's one less wheel that will make electrical contact.

Does this engine have a tender? (I'm not overly familiar with modern trains) If so, the tender drawdar may act as an additional ground if the frame it is attached to is metal. If that could be the case, make sure that it is clean where the engine attaches to it and where it attaches to the tender's frame.

Is it safe to assume that other engines run fine through these switches, and that this engine did at one time work fine too? When is the last time the track was cleaned? If the engine runs fine on regular track (that may be dirty), it may not on a switch where there might only be a few of the wheels and possibly one one roller touching at a given moment.

Just a few ideas that don't cost much but time to try out. Hopefully it is something simple like dirty track.

Hope this helps,

J White

I think your model has both the pick-ups on the tender and none on the loco. So logic would say look for a broken wire on one of them. Put the engine in neutral and carefully lift the tender up so one truck is not touching the track. when it dies that is the one. If you don't see a broken wire on the one truck that is 'dead' unscrew the pick-up assembly and re-screw it. Sometimes the pick-up screw get oxidation on it and removing it and replacing it helps.

Correct on the pick up location,  both on the tender,  as it turns out I have my UP off the track just now and I am looking at them.   I have some issues with my Atlas O switches and this but not for this engine.   The pick ups are spaced far enough apart so no drop off of power.

Chuck has some good advice,  if the engine was working and not is not,  something possibly came loose or corrosion is possible.  Sometimes a dirty track area around the switch.........

Mark

Originally Posted by Chuck Sartor:

I think your model has both the pick-ups on the tender and none on the loco. So logic would say look for a broken wire on one of them. Put the engine in neutral and carefully lift the tender up so one truck is not touching the track. when it dies that is the one. If you don't see a broken wire on the one truck that is 'dead' unscrew the pick-up assembly and re-screw it. Sometimes the pick-up screw get oxidation on it and removing it and replacing it helps.

Is there black gunk on the rollers from the center rail?  If so, clean the rollers AND SCRAPE IT ALL OFF OF YOUR CENTER RAIL!  Coating the center rail was a bad idea.  MTH admitted as much; IIRC the black coating did not appear on the later production RealTrax.

It's also possible for oxidation to develop on the INSIDE of the roller where it contacts the pin.  You could try spraying some contact cleaner in there, or even polishing compound to remove the oxidation.  Or you could order new rollers (but you might die of old age before receiving the parts, search other recent threads on this forum )

I've hammered MTH on this issue and I will continue to do so:  All locos need more than 2 rollers, no ifs, ands, or buts.  Lionel will be bringing a B-6 out in Legacy.  Even if that loco has only 2 rollers, Lionel generally spends the extra $5 and puts rollers on the tender.  So a single conductor with modular connector would solve this problem permanently.  Think about these design flaws (of which MTH has been advised multiple times) before you make your next purchase.

kstrains, another forumite & I have had similar problems with an Imperial Decapod.  Issue was analyzed and found to be loss of ground.  Look at the tender trucks.  Is there a wiper on one or more axles?  If there is, does a wire go from it/them to the tender frame?  If none, install  such wire(s).

Originally Posted by RJR:

kstrains, another forumite & I have had similar problems with an Imperial Decapod.  Issue was analyzed and found to be loss of ground.  Look at the tender trucks.  Is there a wiper on one or more axles?  If there is, does a wire go from it/them to the tender frame?  If none, install  such wire(s).

Unless one of the pick-up roller wires has suddenly broken, most likely loss of outer rail common ground, especially if you have non derailing switches. One of the thrills of rubber tire equipped locos!

Last edited by Lima

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.