Skip to main content

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes we all need a reminder that this hobby is supposed to be fun!

Check out our newest 2-bay fantasy hopper with transparent body and interior rainbow lighting effect!

Shop Now >

In case you miss it, I've attached today's O Gauge train email below.

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Last edited by Menards
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@BenLMaggi posted:

Just went and ordered one. Thanks! (Different colors for different holidays would be a neat follow-up to this... a car with spooky artwork and orange interior lights, or a Christmas scene with red/green lights inside, etc.)

This (or similar) car in Fourth of July (Red White & Blue) or Christmas (Red & green or Red/Green/Gold/Blue) colors would be really really nice @Menards!!!!  Ordered some of these today.  Love the reminder that this is supposed to be fun!

I also love that no one else has done this before!  That is always nice.

Last edited by Micro
@BenLMaggi posted:

Just went and ordered one. Thanks! (Different colors for different holidays would be a neat follow-up to this... a car with spooky artwork and orange interior lights, or a Christmas scene with red/green lights inside, etc.)

Ben....Yes!!! There's a market for reasonably priced and creative Alien and Spooky O gauge products! Staying away from Happy Halloween and using Transylvania Lines/Express or anything along those lines would be good sellers and stretch the use beyond the Halloween season! Especially for this classic monster fan!

Sunrise

My car arrived super fast but I am a bit disappointed with it. This was my first Menards purchase and the car is okay but very lightweight.

The trucks are another story. They are all metal but roll extremely poorly. They make a racket as they go along the track, and not all the wheels turn at the same time. I have tried to figure out the problem but can't see what is going on, except that not all the wheels are making contact with the rails. It is as if the suspension is causing one or two of the wheels to lift up off of the rail. One wheel/axle assembly is wobbly so that the wheels don't rotate properly, adn another wheel/axle assembly is really stiff and won't turn at all by itself (I can make is manually rotate when I am holding the car upside down).

Is this is normal for Menards trucks? If so, does anyone have a fix? If not, I will contact customer support. The interior car lights are really nice but I can't run it as is.

Last edited by BenLMaggi
@BenLMaggi posted:

My car arrived super fast but I am a bit disappointed with it. This was my first Menards purchase and the car is okay but very lightweight.

The trucks are another story. They are all metal but roll extremely poorly. They make a racket as they go along the track, and not all the wheels turn at the same time. I have tried to figure out the problem but can't see what is going on, except that not all the wheels are making contact with the rails. It is as if the suspension is causing one or two of the wheels to lift up off of the rail. One wheel/axle assembly is wobbly so that the wheels don't rotate properly, adn another wheel/axle assembly is really stiff and won't turn at all by itself (I can make is manually rotate when I am holding the car upside down).

Is this is normal for Menards trucks? If so, does anyone have a fix? If not, I will contact customer support. The interior car lights are really nice but I can't run it as is.

No, that is not normal for Menards trucks, not even their trucks with pickups (eg cabooses).  Usually they roll quite well.  Usually the only issue we ever have is when the gauge is a few hundredths of an inch narrower than Lionel and MTH, causing them to rock as they go down the track.  The pickup-equipped trucks tend to be a wee bit stiffer due to the pickup friction.  I wonder how easy it would be to swap the truck out.

@BenLMaggi posted:

I got a response from Menards. Since they are sold out, they I can either keep it or they can refund my money. I like the idea of the car so I don't want to send it back, but it won't run as is. The situation is terrible.

You could probably buy another lighted car from Menards (a caboose etc) and swap the trucks.  You could probably harvest a truck with pickup from Lionel/etc.

This was a great looking car--for about 5 minutes.  Then the car rocked a little too far on the track at 10+VAC and went dark.  There is connectivity from one truck to another, and from one pickup roller to the other, but not from the truck to the pickup roller(s).  We've taken off the trucks off as well as the endcaps with ladders.  We know that the piece which is the roof and sides fits into the piece which is the bottom and ends.
We ran a pry tool all the way around to break the glue we could find.  This car was screwed, glued, and clipped together.

Endcap

GEDC0002

We cannot figure out which way to bend the 6 clips that go from the sides into the bottom.  Do they bend in (towards center) or out?
One of those pesky clipsthe middle clip
GEDC0013

Help would be greatly appreciated! (especially from @Menards)
The trucks are fancy!
GEDC0008

Attachments

Images (6)
  • Endcap
  • GEDC0002: We ran the pic around the edges, breaking the glue.
  • One of those pesky clips
  • the middle clip
  • GEDC0008
  • GEDC0013

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.