Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@AlanRail posted:

mixed.  I think as a hobby a lot of us have gone beyond 042 style switches.

Ross and DZ have taken us to a much better place when it comes to scale turnouts.

This switch-style seems needlessly regressive to me and to those who seek better scaled turnouts.

For others, these switches are just fine!

Um, except that, based on the endless posts here from forum members in previous Menards track threads, lots of people were asking for these switches. Plenty of people still favor such track.

Ross stuff is great, of course, but at a substantially higher price point, and not everyone likes to tinker with DZ installs.

Long Overdue!!

Although I have about 100 Lionel 072 and 022 switches, this is great for the Tubular guys!!!

As for Feedback for Menards, Not only try to make the switches in different radiuses, (096 would be great) try to make it so you can reverse the switch motor from opposite sides like on the Lionel ones to get different track alignments etc.

I might order a set just to compare.

Last edited by ZWPOWER13

The little locomotive shaped remote control is a little childish. I really wish the remote control had a red and green light on it to indicate track alignment that would be great. Sometimes the switches are further away and us old folks can't tell which way it's aligned plus we love lights on everything! However you do get an A+ for effort!

Good pricing on both the switches and the bumpers.

What I like about the switches: the rotating red and green lantern that can also be used to operate the switch; what appears to be a metal frog (is that right?); no need for fiber pins.

I don't care for the remote - too "cute" and not control panel friendly.  Is there only one button and when it is pushed, the switch changes positions?  I think having a control with separate red and green buttons would help ensure that operators are throwing the switch in the direction they want.  Also, if people want to integrate these switches into an existing layout and control panel, it would help to see how they can be wired to do that.

It appears the switches operate off of track power.  Are they designed only for layouts that have constant power to the track? If they are meant to be used on layouts with transformer contolled power (conventional), what is the minimum voltage that will operate the switches?  Coould conventional operators provide a separate source of power to the switches?  It appears the wires are colored green, red, black and white. If the red and green are the directional control wires, can power be fed to the switch motor and lantern through the black and white wires?

I think these are a welcome addition for people who like the traditional O gauge tubular track.  The "proof of the pudding" will be in how well they work with a variety of rolling stock.

Last edited by PGentieu

Love this. Just need to have the switch machine removeable. This will allow it to be moved to the left or right. To allow for putting switches in various configurations. Plus try to make the switch controller smaller and with lights. Think old school lionel here menards.

Love the way it connects up though. Great to see this added to the line. More wider radious switches above 072 are desperately needed in tubular track. No one makes #6 or #5 switches. Most people have large locos like the big boy and steamers that require large turnouts.

For a first attempt these are great though and I applaud menards for adding these to thier track line. Btw are the lights led?

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.