Skip to main content

Greetings,

I hope that someone can help me solve the problems that I described below.  Thanks very much.

WIU won’t stay connected to router

I have the premium version of the DCS app.  I use the Android operating system on my cell phone and tablet.  The WIU (50-1034) will not stay connected to the router.  After the sequence described below occurs, the app displays, “No WIU/TIU found.”  Even in MTH only mode, the app cannot connect to the WIU. 

Prior to upgrading to version 6.1, I had no problems connecting the MTH WIU with my router.  I use a verizon FiOS router, which I purchased directly from verizon.  The router has a mode button.  Version 6.1 works with my both of my handhelds, however.  I have always successfully installed new versions of DCS on my own.  I have a Rev. H2 TIU. 

When I power up the WIU, or after using the router’s mode button to sync the WIU with the router, the following occurs:

• Green light comes on
  • White light flashes quickly, then flashes slowly, then goes dark
  • While the white light is flashing, the purple TIU light illuminates
  • After the white light goes dark, the blue Wi-Fi light illuminates
  • After the blue Wi-Fi light illuminates, the white light illuminates again, then goes dark
  • After the white light goes dark, the Wi-Fi light goes dark. 

Accessories and switches grayed out, TMCC engines inaccessible 

• Prior to updating my TIU and two handhelds from DCS version 5.0 to 6.1, I backed up the DCS data.  I changed “.txt” to “.mth” on the backup file.  Note:  I kept a copy of the back up in text format.

• I e-mailed the “mth” file to my cell phone and my tablet.  er I clicked on the downloaded “mth” file, the MTH app found the “mth” file and installed the contents of the file.  The names of my accessories, switches, scenes, and TMCC engines appear in the app; however, the names of the accessories, switches, and scenes are grayed out.  Furthermore, I cannot use the app to operate my TMCC engines.

Grayed out accessories listGrayed out switches list

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Grayed out accessories list: Grayed out accessories list
  • Grayed out switches list: Grayed out switches list
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Have you tried both of your devices in MTH mode with the same result? Note that MTH mode will bypass your FiOS router and your Phone & Tablet will now connect directly to the WIU. You will not have internet access when you use this mode.

If you are having trouble connection your Phone & Tablet directly to the WIU in MTH mode, that would indicate a problem with the device you are using or something with the WIU.

Have you attempted to re-sync your WIU to your FiOS router with the WPS button?

Last edited by H1000

Thanks for the information.  Yes, I have tried to resync my router with the WIU.  Also, the WIU does not connect in the MTH-only mode.  My router works fine with my computers, cell phone, tablet, and other smart devices, e.g., my Nest.  My cell phone and tablet work as expected with all of their apps.  At one point, I reset the TIU with a paper clip end inserted into the reset opening.   The reset didn't solve the problem.

If something were wrong with my WIU, how would I be able to tell?  Is there a test that I can perform at home to confirm whether the WIU is working correctly?  I purchased the WIU on 12/24/2015.  I purchased my TIU in 02/2002.  Since then, the TIU has worked flawlessly.  I hope that the WIU will perform flawlessly for an equally long period.

As previously mentioned, everything worked fine prior to upgrading to DCS version 6.1.

Has anyone had a problem similar to mine?  Has Barry Boskowitz ever seen a similar problem?

I belong to the National Capital Tracker Modular club.  We have MTH WIU installed on our power cabinets.  I have a IPHONE and a SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB A.  The IPHONE will work fine with our WIU along with other members IPADS.  The SAMSUNG phones and tablets will not connect.  You get NO WIU/TIU found.  Checking the settings verifies that it is connected to the MTH WIU.  I have a WIU at home and it works good with the Samsung tablet and it also works at a friends WIU.  Does anyone have a explanation why the Samsung tablets will not work with the WIU on our power cabinets.

If you rule out firmware mismatches - and the problem persists - try eliminating the ISP issued router.

In fact - I can't think of a great reason to use your home/internet connected router for your train network.

So - try another router - you only need the network - don't need internet.

Grab one at the thrift store.

I also don't recommend using your everyday phone for trains - get a cheap dedicated device.

RockvilleBear posted:

Thanks for the idea.  Shortly after I purchased the WIU, I could have sworn that I downloaded something new from the MTH web site to install in the WIU.  I'll download the 1.1 software from the MTH web site and upload it to my WIU.  I hope that process solves the problem.

Hi.  I'm not sure what is going on there but, have you updated the WIU to version 1.1 firmware yet?  If so, did that correct the issue(s)?  

Upon import of an external file, the accessories, etc., will be grayed out until you successfully connect to the TIU/AIU with the accessories present.  At that point, they should become active and available whenever the app is connected to your TIU.  If the TIU address was changed the app will think it's gone and so, all accessories, etc., associated with a TIU it cannot "see" will be inactive.

Sorry if I over simplify but, in order to understand, I need to break things down.  So, are you able to connect your Android device to the WIU via Wi-Fi?  Forget about the TIU or running trains at this point.  What I'm asking is if your phone/tablet is connected to the MTH_DCS-xxxx network.  You should be able to go into your Wi-Fi settings to find out.  If you have a successful Wi-Fi link to the WIU then we will need to look downstream to the connection between the WIU and TIU.  What are you using for a USB to serial adapter?  What brand and type?  Not all are fully compatible.  We recommend an FTDI device as that is what our TIU uses.

Update me with your status and we'll get you squared away.  

Thanks for your response.  I meant to reply much earlier; however, I’ve been tied up with work. 

Yes, I have updated the WIU to firmware version 1.1.  I believe that I have done the update at least twice.  Several weeks ago, I updated both of my handhelds and my TIU to DCS version 6.1.  The handhelds work properly with the TIU.  As I mentioned earlier, the premium app worked properly with DCS engines before I updated to DCS version 6.10. 

Here is the equipment that I use and how it is connected: 

• The tracks are powered through the fixed outputs of a TIU, rev. H2.

• I use the receiver from the Z-4000 Remote Commander System control the voltage. (I run Postwar locomotives in addition to my TMCC and DCS locomotives.  I realize that with the WIU, I won’t be able to use the receiver anymore and will, I guess, need to use the variable input/output terminals on the TIU.)

• I have a Motorola Moto (z) Android cell phone. The cell phone can find the WIU MTH-only Wi-Fi signal.

• One of the attached photos shows the serial to USB cable model.

• The other attached photo shows that I use a splitter from the TIU. One cable from the splitter is connected to the Command base.  The other cable from the splitter is connected to the WIU.

My WIU is set to MTH-only Wi-Fi.  This evening, as an experiment, I disconnected the Command base.  After doing so, the app began working as it had previously.  I could run all of my DCS locomotives, but the accessories and switches were still grayed and I couldn’t access my TMCC locomotives.  Inexplicably, after I reconnected the Command base, the app continued working as it had before the update to DCS 6.1. 

Note:  I have the first edition of the Wi-Fi DCS Companion.  I haven’t purchased the second edition yet; however, I plan to. 

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Dynex serial to usb
  • One female end of the splitter cable

Hello Barry,

Thanks for letting me know about the bug; however, until the bug is fixed, how can I use the app to operate my switches, accessories, and TMCC engines?  Is there a work around?  Has MTH mentioned when the bug will be fixed?

I have five AIU's worth of accessories, 1.5 AIU's of switches, and quite a number of TMCC engines, so it would be fun to use them with app.  (Most of my engines are DCS, however.)

Thanks

Rodger,

until the bug is fixed, how can I use the app to operate my switches, accessories, and TMCC engines?

You can either load an exported copy of another app’s contents, wait for MTH top correct the problem, or enter everything manually.

Has MTH mentioned when the bug will be fixed?

No, they have not.

Please note that the bug of which I’m aware only has to do with switch tracks and accessories, not TMCC engines. I’m not aware of any bugs in that regard.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.