Skip to main content

I always thought Menards and Woodland Scenics shared manufacturing costs and got runs of the same buildings from the same source, with Menards going with some variation that allowed it to sell its run of each building at a lower price. I mean, there are at least several buildings offered by both companies that are virtually identical, other than the signage. Is this not the case? 

Peter

That may have been true as Menards first offered buildings but it seems that the Menards offerings are now unique to them! While I like the Woodland Scenic buildings, you can't beat Menards prices or the very diverse buildings they offer! A Sauerkraut factory, a burnt engine shed, a spectacular power and light building? C'mon, who woulda thought !!! LOL

Menards and Woodland Scenics only worked together briefly, and Menards has worked with other manufacturers over the past decade.

Menards previously worked with Lemax on at least one ceramic building (circa 2005) that depicted an original Menard Cashway Lumber store and then with another manufacturer, Enchanted Forest, on some heavy resin buildings depicting a modern Menards building (2011) and garden center (2012). (Photos attached.)imageimageimageimage

The Menards Seed and Feed building is heavy resin, like the Menards 2011-12 buildings. So is the Quonset hut.

The Menards Hardware building from 2013 was injection molded and either made by Woodland Scenics or was a clone of Woodland Scenics' Harrison Hardware building.

Many of the recent issues, including the Menards Hobby Shop, are primarily MDF, a wood product by definition made with wood fiber and resin materials that are compressed.

The Red Owl (photo attached) is mostly MDF with what I believe is embossed plastic representing bricks and roofing material. The fourth photo shows the underside of the building and part of the interior, all MDF. 

I'm not sure who manufacturers the MDF buildings for Menards, but I have heard mention of a factory called Golden Wheel in China that is currently working with Menards on other products for the train line.

Attachments

Images (4)
Last edited by Jim R.

Got mine just like tracking said it would........

My spin on it......

1. It's BIG!!! I read the dimensions.....but something about having it hand...it seems bigger. Big enough to make it look real.....but no over powering.

2. Lighting looks good. I do wish they had added a few under the front awning...but I can do that if really needed.

3. On powering up the roof vents did not turn. Not a big enough issue to return it. Stuck my hand inside, wiggled wires and moved stuff....heard them start up. Flipped it over.....two of three turning. Manually spun far left fan....it turns....and stops....but starts back. Not sure it's designed this way....but I like the way it's working!!

4. Brick detail is laser engraved and not an overlay. Doing it this  way is more costly but much more reliable than a glued on paper or plastic. 

5. Packaging - not real important as most of us will rip it open and toss it. But this building package has tons of cool historic info about Red Owl. It is a vac formed upper and lower much like WS type package. 

6.  The Bad - The Owl logo sign needs a real dark room to see if it is lit up. There are a few very small places were you can find a glue smear or just rough assembly. NONE OF THEM are an issue....and I will add some light weathering and it will all go away.

7. Overall - A very nice 'outside the box' structure. I like the other buildings on the market.....but we do not need another 1920's era brick storefront.  This is more post war or Mid-century Modern style......much needed. It's gonna be the start of urban renewal of my downtown.  I feel it's a good value, well made and a great addition to the O hobby. Thanks to Menard's but a bigger thanks to whoever gave the go ahead at Menard's to enter this field!!! 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.