Skip to main content

@JPistello posted:

I was lucky enough to get on about 11 minutes after they opened orders. It's going to be a gift to my Dad for Christmas, but I was wondering, do I just use this with the transformer/power pack on low like a regular Lionel locomotive? I read the thread on the first unit (1.0), and it seemed like everyone got wildly different results. Any idea what he will need to do? I grew up playing with postwar Lionel and still have the transformer in storage, but I don't want to fry this loco.

You need to test it out.

Record a video.

Give some feedback to Mark at Menards after a week or two weeks of operation.

Andrew

I did a box opening with the Mebane Train Display last night and while I was not impressed with the sound quality (no apparent improvement) I did notice it accelerated and decelerated quite smoothly and pulled a long consist without breaking a sweat.

I do wish the red paint was glossy but I think this would be a lot of fun for kids.

And, yeah, I got the truck after removing it as well.

I did purchase MENARDS F7 BETA 1.0 - I had my grandchildren test the BETA 1.0 and they had two recommendations for this locomotive. We shared this review on my YT Channel. Did not purchase version 2.0

We would like to know if MENARDS addressed these issues.

(1) The locomotive would lurch on the startup. There is no slow speed startup. Did MENARDS add flywheels to both motors to make for better speed control?

(2) Improve the horn by having a longer blast. Was this done?

1 MENARDS No more lurching

2 MENARDS Update horn

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 1 MENARDS No more lurching
  • 2 MENARDS Update horn

I did purchase MENARDS F7 BETA 1.0 - I had my grandchildren test the BETA 1.0 and they had two recommendations for this locomotive. We shared this review on my YT Channel. Did not purchase version 2.0

We would like to know if MENARDS addressed these issues.

(1) The locomotive would lurch on the startup. There is no slow speed startup. Did MENARDS add flywheels to both motors to make for better speed control?

(2) Improve the horn by having a longer blast. Was this done?

1 MENARDS No more lurching

2 MENARDS Update horn

Both of these issues were addressed.  The jerky motion was handled through software and not by adding a flywheel so if the engine is in motion and you cut the power it will be a sudden stop.  The horn will now blow until you let go of the button.

Last edited by H1000

Menards F7 Beta Review

Pros:

• The pulling power is amazing. I don’t have any crazy inclines on my layout, but the Menards F7 locomotive pulled a 10-car mixed train with heavy-weight passenger cars/freight cars with no issues at high rates of speed.
  • Menards seems to have fixed the speed issues from the first beta. The train accelerates in a manner similar to my mid-1990s Lionel Santa Fe Alco.
  • The look is awesome. They’ve really captured the War Bonnet style here.
  • Sounds are definitely a huge improvement from the first beta.

Cons:

• The remote can be a little temperamental. On a few occasions, it seemed like the remote became disconnected from the locomotive resulting in “losing control of the train.” This lasted for seconds, not really significant.
  • Horn is still a bit lackluster, but definitely better.
  • I wish they would have used a soft white LED bulb instead of a bright white LED to illuminate the locomotive. Something just appears off for the 1940s/50s locomotive to have this type of light.

Overall - Great value and a significant improvement on this beta locomotive. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Menards begin offering these in stores/online in the near future in other road names and locomotive models. This is an awesome addition to my layout! Glad to have gotten one. (I hope they offer a SOO Line locomotive!)

@RB-Santa fe posted:

Menards F7 Beta Review

Pros:

• The pulling power is amazing. I don’t have any crazy inclines on my layout, but the Menards F7 locomotive pulled a 10-car mixed train with heavy-weight passenger cars/freight cars with no issues at high rates of speed.
  • Menards seems to have fixed the speed issues from the first beta. The train accelerates in a manner similar to my mid-1990s Lionel Santa Fe Alco.
  • The look is awesome. They’ve really captured the War Bonnet style here.
  • Sounds are definitely a huge improvement from the first beta.

Cons:

• The remote can be a little temperamental. On a few occasions, it seemed like the remote became disconnected from the locomotive resulting in “losing control of the train.” This lasted for seconds, not really significant.
  • Horn is still a bit lackluster, but definitely better.
  • I wish they would have used a soft white LED bulb instead of a bright white LED to illuminate the locomotive. Something just appears off for the 1940s/50s locomotive to have this type of light.

Overall - Great value and a significant improvement on this beta locomotive. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Menards begin offering these in stores/online in the near future in other road names and locomotive models. This is an awesome addition to my layout! Glad to have gotten one. (I hope they offer a SOO Line locomotive!)

@RB-Santa fe,

Thank you for the writeup.  If its at all possible, could you please post a brief video of the Beta 2's performance and sounds?   

Thanks!

Pros and cons:

The biggest "con" is that the driven worm wheel gear, the one on the axle, is still made of plastic. Over time the different expansion and contraction rates of the metal axle and plastic gear will cause the gear to crack and the loco will be inoperable.

It will be a major job to replace it.

The idler gears on the side of the truck are slip fit over their axles, so they will be OK in the long run.

Last edited by RoyBoy

I received mine on Tuesday; either a day late or a day early! After ordering on Thursday, I checked on the delivery Friday and got a delivery date on Monday.  Saturday, I received a delay change to a Wednesday delivery; my thinking was due to package having to traverse the areas affected by the tornadoes and taking alternate routing. Whatever the reason, I was surprised to get it on Tuesday. Note that I have not tried it out yet so can not report on it performance.

Let my two beta testers at it. Henry 9 Ollie 6.

Ollie gives it 100 likes. Henry gives it 5 of 5

Pros according to Henry and Ollie

Pros:

They love the way it looks.

They also like the shiny tanks and trucks.

They like the way it sounds.

They like the way it handles.

The horn is good.

The whole engine.

Ollie likes the headlight

They both like the sounds.

Things to change

Ollie originally didn't like the orange marker lights but they have grown on him

The bell button was jammed. Nothing that a butterknife couldn't solve.

So far both boys like the engine. We did have to turn the voltage to the transformer down but just a minor thing.

20211216_174159

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20211216_174159
Videos (2)
20211216_174203
20211216_201606
Last edited by Aldovar

A $5.00 rectifier would do. It would only go forward and you loose the sounds though.

Steve

When I'm asking for conventional operation, I'm asking for the following:

• Speed varies with AC voltage
  • Power break cycles direction F-N-R-N
  • DC offsets activate whistle/horn and bell

Optionally:

• Patterned DC offsets activate crew talk

Simply bypassing the electronics and going through a rectifier for forward only operation misses the mark of what is expected from a manufacturers production run.

@RB-Santa fe posted:
I wish they would have used a soft white LED bulb instead of a bright white LED to illuminate the locomotive. Something just appears off for the 1940s/50s locomotive to have this type of light.

One or two coats of Tamiya Clear Orange (X-26) will give it more of an incandescent look.  Learned that on the forum.  Works great for me.

John

Now as far as MY ( Menards) Beta 2.0   I picked mine up at the Rhinelander store and the boxes were perfect ,and the content wonderfully packaged .   Now as far as finish, the paint on mine was crisp , clean,  and  has good coverage. ( note  the Yellow  and Black stripping , does not continue over the Side grills or the bottom of the rear side body doors { no big deal} ).   The injected  body  ( although missing a few details )  Is crisp and clean and the pilot and truck diecast with good detail.   Now as far as performance  I tested it on AC and DC , at 9 volts and found starting and stopping  very smooth, and the sound  good (including the horn and bell) .  The dual motors and weight  allowed me to pull 12, "old school   box cars that weigh 1.7 to 2.0 lbs apiece, on a circle of O72 track on a level surface ( thats at least 20 lbs of tractive effort).  This in comparison to another Mfg.s  , John Deer radio controlled RS3 which sat and spun its wheels.    > As far as I am concerned Medards has a real winner , here and as an entry into the hobby , the best deal I have seen in years!

@Aldovar posted:

Let my two beta testers at it. Henry 9 Ollie 6.

Ollie gives it 100 likes. Henry gives it 5 of 5

Pros according to Henry and Ollie

Pros:

They love the way it looks.

They also like the shiny tanks and trucks.

They like the way it sounds.

They like the way it handles.

The horn is good.

The whole engine.

Ollie likes the headlight

They both like the sounds.

Things to change

Ollie originally didn't like the orange marker lights but they have grown on him

The bell button was jammed. Nothing that a butterknife couldn't solve.

So far both boys like the engine. We did have to turn the voltage to the transformer down but just a minor thing.

20211216_174159

Best reviews I've read so far.......

Henry and Ollie should work for Menards

Like Willie Wonka- ask the kids what they like, not the adults

@train steve posted:

Is there anyway the Menards 2.0 can be modified to run in conventional mode?

How about adding a Dallee reversing board with a switch to go from remote to conventional operation?

Not sure about the potential issues of backfeeding the OEM board through the motors though. I guess it also depends on where the sounds live on the board if you want to maintain the sounds.

If you want strictly conventional then pull the OEM boards out all together.

Bob

That would work fine for me.  I need it to run conventional - locked into forward only - don't care about sounds as you would not hear them anyway with everything else making noise.

I had one in my cart but it complained the address was incorrect or something.  Tried 5 times and then it said sold out. Was the same info entered when I got the first release so I don't understand what happened.  Oh well.   JP

@BOB WALKER posted:

Menard's decision to go wireless control without a conventional option is telling us that Menard's is reading and responding to the market's latest technical trend. Like many modelers, I still run conventional on my layout, but the wireless systems offer so much more, it's hard to deny them.

If they threw a bluetooth board in it with a simple app they wouldn't need the remote at all.

I still would like a conventional capability.

@BOB WALKER posted:

Menard's decision to go wireless control without a conventional option is telling us that Menard's is reading and responding to the market's latest technical trend. Like many modelers, I still run conventional on my layout, but the wireless systems offer so much more, it's hard to deny them.

I see it as a gross oversight. Lionel was chastised for the same oversight with the initial LionChief release which they later rectified.

@bmoran4 posted:

I see it as a gross oversight. Lionel was chastised for the same oversight with the initial LionChief release which they later rectified.

Unless something has changed recently, LC will only run with a remote, not conventionally. If you buy the more expensive LC+ and LC2.0 can you run them in conventional mode.

Last edited by H1000

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.