Skip to main content

I have some scratchbuilt cars that I made as 3RS using MTH premier trucks that I already had.  Now that I am transitioning to 2-rail, I have to replace them with mth 2-rail trucks (which is expensive and alters the ride height) or I can try to convert them.  I will try to find a low-cost way to do it.

The Intermountain IRC 20050 33" wheelsets are cheap (I bought THREE pairs new for $34 including s/h from the famous auction site.)  Let's try to use those and swap them out from the MTH 3-rail trucks which I already removed the couplers when I put on kadees.

Here is what we need:  only tools are a screwdriver, x-acto, and dremel tool. :

trucks [1)

First step:  remove the side screws on the top so we can release the old 3-rail wheels.  Pay attention not to lose any springs

trucks [2)

Now dremel-grind down the plastic inserts (4 of them til they are almost flush with the metal insides.

trucks [4)

Then re-assemble with your new wheels.  

Last step is to re-insert the springs.  Its not hard but it does take a bit of deterity and some patience.

trucks [3)

Its not hard to do, once you get the process down it speed ups considerably.  I have done six so far: four on my 3-car MAXI-IV and two on the standalone 53ft NSC well car.  Here's a 2-rail video to prove it worked!  (Click the full-screen button for the best effect)

Attachments

Images (4)
  • trucks (1)
  • trucks (2)
  • trucks (3)
  • trucks (4)
Videos (1)
trucks
Last edited by Martin H
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

oops, I got THREE sets, so $11 a pair shipped.

Johnnyspeed, I tried putting these into lionel trucks in my Autorack 3-rail trucks, but the fit was too tight and it shorted across the metal trucks because there is no insulation material.

Please share your technique on getting these IM wheelsets to work in Lionel trucks

Originally Posted by jonnyspeed:

Cool Martin. Certainly cheaper than buying the MTH trucks like I have been doing. I also purchased a bunch of the IM wheel sets of Da Bay that I was using to convert Lionel trucks with. I'll have to give your technique a try. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Martin H
Originally Posted by Martin H:

Johnnyspeed, I tried putting these into lionel trucks in my Autorack 3-rail trucks, but the fit was too tight and it shorted across the metal trucks because there is no insulation material.

Please share your technique on getting these IM wheelsets to work in Lionel trucks

Originally Posted by jonnyspeed:

Cool Martin. Certainly cheaper than buying the MTH trucks like I have been doing. I also purchased a bunch of the IM wheel sets of Da Bay that I was using to convert Lionel trucks with. I'll have to give your technique a try. Thanks for sharing.

I certainly didn't invent it. I just followed the process on the O scale Kings website:

http://www.oscalekings.org/conversion.html

I did both styles, Matt.  The older ones are simpler and therefore quicker to convert as you only have to remove one set of sideframes.  The newer ones have more stuff in the way and you have to release both sideframes to remove the old wheels.

Other than that, it's the same process for both.

Thanks. Good to know the Intermountain wheels work as those can be had for around $10-$12 per set. I have several MTH cars I'd like to convert and was contemplating what would be the best approach.

I'm glad this info is helpful, Matt.  I was very pleased with the results given that it's not to hard to do.

However, I would like to stress that this doesn't fix the too-high ride height that almost all 3-rail MTH rolling stock possesses out of the box.  In my case, it was a non-issue because I am using it on my own builds.

Originally Posted by mwb:

Better, but I guess these are beginning to creep up on price.

I am buying these a few at a time to get rid of all the plastic wheels on my layout. Last year they were $7.95 msrp. Then they ran out at P&D and Pat couldn't get them restocked for some time, maybe a few months. When they finally did send some to restock, the MSRP was moved up to $11.95. And this was not a retail mark-up. These prices are printed on the label. So at 50% price increase, a little more than creeping up.

Originally Posted by Tom Taipalus:
Originally Posted by mwb:

Better, but I guess these are beginning to creep up on price.

I am buying these a few at a time to get rid of all the plastic wheels on my layout. Last year they were $7.95 msrp. Then they ran out at P&D and Pat couldn't get them restocked for some time, maybe a few months. When they finally did send some to restock, the MSRP was moved up to $11.95. And this was not a retail mark-up. These prices are printed on the label. So at 50% price increase, a little more than creeping up.

I think they've been $8 a set or 3/$20 at Strasburg as recently as April and I've seen them at either there or in Chicago for $6/set.  I buy 3-5 sets every show. but Ithink 95% of my trucks have these installed now.

"I have several MTH cars I'd like to convert and was contemplating what would be the best approach"

Hi Matt, I occasionally put 2 rail wheels in MTH trucks but I preferred to swap the trucks for Weaver or Athearn ( or other 2 rail brands if I had appropriate trucks at hand)2 rail trucks to get a narrower truck and add a body bolster to the car. When I was modeling in O scale the plastic trucks sold for about $3 or $4 per pair and I don't mind running the plastic wheels so that was a cheap way to go.......DaveB

Originally Posted by daveb:

"I have several MTH cars I'd like to convert and was contemplating what would be the best approach"

..........swap the trucks for Weaver or Athearn ( or other 2 rail brands if I had appropriate trucks at hand) 2 rail trucks to get a narrower truck and add a body bolster to the car.

Agree!  And, my personal standard has been the Athearn trucks.....that have also begun to climb in price and decline in regular availability.

Martin let the cat out of the bag. 

Strasburg is THEE place to get great deals.  Never know what's there but whatever it is you need it or will soon need it and it is at a great price.

You will always find new wheels and couplers at many tables.  Must of had about 100+/- tables at the last show.

Next swap meet Saturday Aug 8,   9:00 am-1:00pm  $5.oo

Even small 2-rail meets I have been to have plenty of 2-rail wheelsets and trucks, but those trucks are always bettendorf, etc.  Very little with roller bearing.  

As far as I can tell Athearn continues to crank out new plastic bettendorfs on a regular basis, but haven't done a run of the RB in years.  That's a reflection that most people model 60's and earlier in 2-rail o-gauge.

Originally Posted by Tom Tee:

You will always find new wheels and couplers at many tables.  Must of had about 100+/- tables at the last show.

Next swap meet Saturday Aug 8,   9:00 am-1:00pm  $5.oo

"Even small 2-rail meets I have been to have plenty of 2-rail wheelsets and trucks, but those trucks are always bettendorf, etc.  Very little with roller bearing."

Weaver roller bearings were the usual truck for two rail modern era conversions. Like the Athearn bettendorfs they were built in great numbers and didn't cost too much. Ace made some 70 ton metal trucks with spinner bearings that are pretty nice but hard to find. The later issue metal trucks from the 3 rail companies are mostly too wide to look good but the Lionel spinners are pretty nice when converted, the wheels sets are expensive however, which leads back to why Weaver trucks are the norm :> .......DaveB

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.