Skip to main content

http://www.mthtrains.com/content/20-3431-1

These things are growing on me; apparently, they first appeared in 2011... in Mth's Vol. one catalog.

They come hi-rail, or scale wheels; what's the difference, when it's a steam model... just the wheels?

There was a chunkier consolidation offered by MTH, years ago, as well; haven't seen it lately, though.

I haven't owned an O gauge steam engine since my entry, into this hobby, in 2004, purchase - a 4-4-2 Flyer; followed by a dockside switcher. I've been keeping an eye out for the chunky 2-8-0; but, like I said, the old school consolidation, is starting to wink at me; and, I just might wink back.

What can you tell me about this model?

Thanks, Rick

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The the scale wheels means that the wheel "tread" size is overall narrower than it is in 3-rail, in addition to having smaller flanges as opposed to the comparatively large 3-rail "pizza cutter" type flanges.  And, with some exceptions, all the driver wheels are flanged.

The -2 (scale wheels) version also do not have 3-rail couplers installed; instead it has pre-drilled and tapped mounting holes so that the end user can install Kadee or equivalent scale couplers (no couplers come included with the -2 version).

John, thanks;

I have experience with MTH's scale wheels diesel-electric models; including, adding couplers; are the steam models similar, re: coupler installation? Do scale wheels steamers ride 3-rail track, very well? My scale wheels diesels did/do. Currently, I have Lionel's Fastrack.

Can anyone comment on fit and finish/details, re: this particular model?

Rick

Coupler installation is pretty much the same, actually in the case of the tender is easier since you don't really have the tight clearances when mounting the Kadees in the slots on the diesel pilots.

Trains with scale-sized wheels operate better on track that have a t-shaped profile, like Atlas O or ScaleTrax.  Not so much with rounded-top rails as those on traditional tubular track.   I suppose the success you had with FasTrack is due to the railheads being a little more flat than regular tubular.

The biggest issue with scale wheels on 3-rail track however is with switches.  The frogs on 3-rail switches have deeper flangeways on them to accomodate the oversized flanges on 3-rail wheelsets; the smaller flanges on 2-rail tend to "dip" into those flangeways causing some bumping, and can also cause derailments going through the diverging point (curved part of the switch).  Typically the derailment issue can be more of a problem with tighter radius switches, even up to O-72.  Some of the larger radius switches can handle it better although it could still be problematic.  I believe that forum member Rich Battista uses some #6 or greater switches on his layout, if he notices this thread he might be able to chime in with his own operational experiences.

Thanks, lads(Scott & John).

Scott, when did you get yours; I was wondering if these were the first run... a bit delayed?

I'm also wondering if the wheel detail(spokes/mags etc.) is finer with the scale wheels models?

That first dome next to the cab looks cool; as does the length of the cab roof-line(especially, how it overhangs the back...) and the pilot... I think it's going to be a looker.

Rick

I have the Rio Grande version of that locomotive, circa 2005 with Proto-2. I got it used and I am quite happy with it. Sound is quite good. It didn't run right when I got it, but all it took was a reset and I haven't had any operating problems since. The MTH model is based on a PRR H-3 Consolidation, but there appear to be two very similar boiler castings, one with the usual PRR Belpaire firebox and one without. The Rio Grande version lacks the squared-off Belpaire firebox, which is a good thing because only the Pennsy (and subsidiaries) and the Great Northern used the Belpaire type firebox, and it is the sort of visual cue that jumps out and bites you. I run mine with a string of Rail King 19th Century freight cars, and I'm in the process of repainting an MTH bobber caboose to match a Rio Grande prototype. 

Mine is the 3-rail version with hi-rail wheels and I recommend getting that rather than messing with scale wheels if you are running 3-rail.

The other caveat is that the scale-wheeled steam locomotives require wider curves. The -2 shows that it will operate on 31" radius (O-62) so you'll need O-64 FasTrack to operate it. Also, some scale-wheeled locomotives take issue with curve-replacement turnouts like O-72, etc. because the curve extends through the frog and they want to pick the frog. The hot coupler to use is the Kadee 740. The scale-wheeled engines look great. Large steam, however, goes into 54" radius (O-108) and above territory so you must choose carefully.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.